Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-09-2010, 12:09 PM   #31
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Red Sox sign Carl Crawford!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1981
I don't know how the Red Sox tap into all this revenue in a 37,000 seat near 100 year old stadium, but something tells me that the fans will be paying the price when they have to forgo a car payment to take a family of 4 to a game.

On the baseball side of things, Crawford is a fantastic player, but Fenway is a bandbox, so how useful will he speed in the outfield be? Also, will you want him stealing bases with Ortiz/Gonzalez, etc batting?

This is pretty much my take on it. I like Crawford. He's a hell of a player. But it's not an ideal fit with the stadium and lineup. I really felt like Werth would of been a better fit. That arm in that short LF would have been nice defensively, and he provides more of the pop that field is built for. And I agree that steals have relatively less value in front of a lineup like that.

The Red Sox money, like all team's money, comes far more from their cable contracts than their stadium revenue.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:11 PM   #32
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Is Gonzalez really that much better than Beltre?
If you look at just last year, no. Beltre's superb defense at 3B gives him a lot of extra value in addition to his great hitting year. But in terms of their careers, Gonzalez is much more likely to repeat his success on offense. Beltre has only had 2 seasons where you could legitimately call him a "star hitter" whereas with Gonzalez, it's consistent year after year.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:17 PM   #33
SCREWstonRockets
Houston Texan

SCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected poster

HTOWN represent!!!!
SCREWstonRockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:19 PM   #34
JohnnySic
green is good

JohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation here

Quote:

This is an excellent point; I've been saying it too. Gonzalez is a great hitter, but he's not Miguel Cabrerra or a young Manny Ramirez, which is what the local sports media seems to be implying. Gonzalez is basically Kevin Youkilis with more pop.

Dont forget, the Sox lost Victor Martinez in addition to Beltre, so the addition of Gonzalez does not create more power overall.
JohnnySic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:32 PM   #35
The GM
#ballislife

The GM is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
If you look at just last year, no. Beltre's superb defense at 3B gives him a lot of extra value in addition to his great hitting year. But in terms of their careers, Gonzalez is much more likely to repeat his success on offense. Beltre has only had 2 seasons where you could legitimately call him a "star hitter" whereas with Gonzalez, it's consistent year after year.

+1. You can't trust Beltre once you give him a big contract, he always seems to get hurt or "tank" it after he get's paid just ask Seattle and LA about that. I'm sure if the red sox organization didn't have worries about that he would have been given a long term deal because theres no denying he was tremendous for us this past season.
The GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:35 PM   #36
indiefan24
Banned

indiefan24 is considered somewhat coolindiefan24 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynZoo
as a yankee fan im happy. i think thats a horrible contract and im glad the yankees werent the ones to sign it. his game is based on speed and hes bound to lose some as he gets up in age. besides that he isnt a superstar and hes makin superstar money. id rather pay gardner 1 mill than 20 to crawford. sh*t if i could id try to avoid any big contracts right now until the market calms down. im sure theyll throw some money at lee but thatd probably look like a bargain compaired to werth and crawford

I wouldn't talk about other teams having horrible contracts when the Yankees just signed a soon to be 37 year old SS to a $51 million 3 year deal; with an option for a fourth. Not to mention they'll have the declining A-Rod till he's like 50.

The Crawford signing basically guarantees that Lee will seek a max seven year contract.
indiefan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:41 PM   #37
indiefan24
Banned

indiefan24 is considered somewhat coolindiefan24 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkmwise
I was definetly surprised to see this signing.

But did anyone else think the Gonzalez signing was a little strange too? The Sox gave up 3 prospects for Gonzales and need to sig nhim to a huge deal. Beltre was already here and wanted to re-sign with the Red Sox. These are each players stats last year.

Adrian Beltre
BA HR RBI OBP SLG
.321 28 102 .365 .553

Adrian Gonzalez
BA HR RBI OBP SLG
.298 31 101 .393 .511

It's been emphasized that PETCO Park really brought Gonzalez's numbers down. Analysts have said that he would have hit well north of 40 HRs if he had played for the Sox last year.

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/bos...ers-in-boston/
indiefan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:44 PM   #38
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Sarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/m...ory?id=5902103

Yankees upped their offer to Lee for 7 years.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:08 PM   #39
BrooklynZoo
The Brooklyn Brawler.

BrooklynZoo has decent reputationBrooklynZoo has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiefan24
I wouldn't talk about other teams having horrible contracts when the Yankees just signed a soon to be 37 year old SS to a $51 million 3 year deal; with an option for a fourth. Not to mention they'll have the declining A-Rod till he's like 50.

The Crawford signing basically guarantees that Lee will seek a max seven year contract.

so i guess if we have a bad contract we should just keep adding them?
BrooklynZoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:25 PM   #40
Niytrus
I hit open 5-footers

Niytrus has decent reputation

As a Sox fan I am a bit torn by this... we still need BP help so hopefully Theo will address that with tades (Dice-K, Scut, Ells, Cameron, etc).

As for Crawford and his mega-contract, i'm split. He is a good player, a defensive gem, and has a great work ethic. He is a grinder and will be a good addition to the club house. I think this contact ends when he is 35, so we won't see a major decline at the end of this contract, hopefully.

He isn't worth the deal he received, but it does force the Yankees hand w/ Lee and also keeps a good player away from them. It never hurts to have speed on the bases. Should be an exciting season to come!
Niytrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:21 PM   #41
BRabbiT

BRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niytrus

He isn't worth the deal he received, but it does force the Yankees hand w/ Lee and also keeps a good player away from them. It never hurts to have speed on the bases. Should be an exciting season to come!

+1

crawford isn't a superstar, but he's a gamechanger, & he'll fit well in that lineup. which, btw, will be a nightmare for opposing pitchers.

he's definitely slowing down, though. i'd be shocked if his #s don't regress.
BRabbiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:27 PM   #42
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

It would be so funny if the Redsox miss the postseason next year.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:29 PM   #43
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

ihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Wanted the Angels to get his guy. Man these guys are getting paid this off season
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:42 PM   #44
dkmwise
Local High School Star

dkmwise is a pretty well-respected posterdkmwise is a pretty well-respected posterdkmwise is a pretty well-respected posterdkmwise is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiefan24
It's been emphasized that PETCO Park really brought Gonzalez's numbers down. Analysts have said that he would have hit well north of 40 HRs if he had played for the Sox last year.

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/bos...ers-in-boston/

Good point, thanks.

I was actually just talking to someone else about that.
dkmwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:46 PM   #45
dkmwise
Local High School Star

dkmwise is a pretty well-respected posterdkmwise is a pretty well-respected posterdkmwise is a pretty well-respected posterdkmwise is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niytrus
As a Sox fan I am a bit torn by this... we still need BP help so hopefully Theo will address that with tades (Dice-K, Scut, Ells, Cameron, etc).

As for Crawford and his mega-contract, i'm split. He is a good player, a defensive gem, and has a great work ethic. He is a grinder and will be a good addition to the club house. I think this contact ends when he is 35, so we won't see a major decline at the end of this contract, hopefully.

You are probably right that he is not worth the money, but this isn't basketball or football. Who cares how much they pay him? This is the MLB, you can overpay everyone if you want. Even though they are overpaying him now, I don't see that keeping them from overpaying the next player this year or next year when they need him.

I agree he is a good fit for this clubhouse and this should be an exciting season for them
dkmwise is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: