Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Old 12-09-2010, 08:14 PM   #1
Rowe
Scoring Champ

Default Chris Paul

With the way Felton has been playing lately, do you guys think this would be the ideal time to make a move for CP3 with the ownership situation?

Hes putting up career highs(like we all expected) and hes signed to a very good deal at $7 Million per season. Now that New Orleans doesn't have a shooter in Peja, they might value Gallo a lot more compared to over the summer.
Rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:25 PM   #2
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter

Default Re: Chris Paul

Felton just recently outplayed Chris Paul, who has been slumping hard after a hot start to the season. Felton's producing like an All-Star. Why so eager to deal?

The Knicks don't need a point guard, and they don't need more scoring. They need defense in the post. I heard Portland is looking to move Joel Pryzbilla or Marcus Camby...
Scoooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:50 PM   #3
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

My priorities for the Knicks (including this year and offseason) are:

1 Carmelo Anthony - I want to wait till offseason to sign him but am willing to part with pieces to get him now

2 A true center - Turiaf is always hurt and he is not a true defensive presence

At this point I am fine with Felton, but if the Hornets were willing to give up Paul for cheap, I would consider it as long as the price is not too expensive.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:32 PM   #4
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter

True center should be number one. Knicks' biggest hole is post D. I agree that Melo can wait.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:08 AM   #5
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

Typical prisoner of the moment attitude that has gotten us in so much trouble before.Is Paul BETTER than Felton... YES....way better.Therefore,this is the ideal time to do it if it can be done.Point is,if Felton WASNT having a career year,it wouldnt even be a consideration.Do you honestly see Felton playing like this for the rest of his tenure w/ the Knicks?Just a month ago,ppl here were calling for his head.Now he has a few good games and he's cemented into our roster to the point where we can just overlook once in a lifetime opportunities to acquire pg's who have been perrenial allstars?

Besides,if we trade for Paul,we wont be using up that much space. Then ask yourself,who would a free agent Carmelo Anthony want to play with more?Paul or Felton?Felton's numbers are inflated as are every other player on the Knicks because we play no D and we shoot in 7 seconds or less.Giving up 50 points in a quarter isnt something forein to us...it's the norm.Let's use that to our advantage rather than our detriment.Let's have teams thinking our players are better than they are.Let's make Al Davis' out of them.
franchize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:41 AM   #6
Sarcastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchize
Typical prisoner of the moment attitude that has gotten us in so much trouble before.Is Paul BETTER than Felton... YES....way better.Therefore,this is the ideal time to do it if it can be done.Point is,if Felton WASNT having a career year,it wouldnt even be a consideration.Do you honestly see Felton playing like this for the rest of his tenure w/ the Knicks?Just a month ago,ppl here were calling for his head.Now he has a few good games and he's cemented into our roster to the point where we can just overlook once in a lifetime opportunities to acquire pg's who have been perrenial allstars?

Besides,if we trade for Paul,we wont be using up that much space. Then ask yourself,who would a free agent Carmelo Anthony want to play with more?Paul or Felton?Felton's numbers are inflated as are every other player on the Knicks because we play no D and we shoot in 7 seconds or less.Giving up 50 points in a quarter isnt something forein to us...it's the norm.Let's use that to our advantage rather than our detriment.Let's have teams thinking our players are better than they are.Let's make Al Davis' out of them.

Are we trading Felton for Paul straight up? If so, then sure make the trade now.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:50 PM   #7
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter

Felton's never been given a chance to play like this before. He was completely (from what I've heard) handcuffed in Charlotte. He was the fifth overall draft pick, he's obviously talented. I have know idea what he's capable of for the rest of his "tenure with the Knicks", but he's proving himself more and more every game. No hurry to get a point guard.

Plus, Chris Paul is never healthy. And the one extra steal he makes per game over Felton comes at the expense at other aspects of his man D. If you're concerned about defense, Paul isn't the answer. I just don't see him as a priority.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:12 PM   #8
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

Felton isnt a Bobcat because Augustin outplayed him and was cheaper. Period.And him being a 5th pick of the draft means nothing.Ricky Rubio was a high pick and he isnt even in the country.

As for Paul,he's set the all-time record for consecutive steals + he's just a better defender than Felton.He's far from a defensive liability.Let's get serious.Bottom line is,I'm happy that Felton is playing better.I readily attest that PG isnt a problem anymore for us...which is a relief.However,I refuse to be a prisoner of the moment and all of a sudden start making a case that we shouldnt jump at the opportunity to acquire arguably the best pg in the league should it present itself... something posters here do far too often.Everytime someone in a Knicks jersey does something,theres undoubtedly gonna be some bandwagoning and unrealistic optimism.Call me a "hater" or a pessimist but I'm not gonna start putting player's names in the same class as some of the NBA's elite just because they go on a hot streak over a month or so.Not when just last month ppl were calling for their heads.I wont do it with the Gallinari/Melo situation nor will I with Felton/Paul.So yea...I would try to trade Felton for Paul...and not just str8 up...Because NO would laugh at us!!!
Old 12-10-2010, 10:42 PM   #9
Sarcastic

Quote:
Felton isnt a Bobcat because Augustin outplayed him and was cheaper. Period.And him being a 5th pick of the draft means nothing.Ricky Rubio was a high pick and he isnt even in the country.

As for Paul,he's set the all-time record for consecutive steals + he's just a better defender than Felton.He's far from a defensive liability.Let's get serious.Bottom line is,I'm happy that Felton is playing better.I readily attest that PG isnt a problem anymore for us...which is a relief.However,I refuse to be a prisoner of the moment and all of a sudden start making a case that we shouldnt jump at the opportunity to acquire arguably the best pg in the league should it present itself... something posters here do far too often.Everytime someone in a Knicks jersey does something,theres undoubtedly gonna be some bandwagoning and unrealistic optimism.Call me a "hater" or a pessimist but I'm not gonna start putting player's names in the same class as some of the NBA's elite just because they go on a hot streak over a month or so.Not when just last month ppl were calling for their heads.I wont do it with the Gallinari/Melo situation nor will I with Felton/Paul.So yea...I would try to trade Felton for Paul...and not just str8 up...Because NO would laugh at us!!!

What else are you willing to give up for Paul?
Felton + Fields?
Old 12-10-2010, 11:31 PM   #10
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

Felton was not out played by DJ.

Felton had his best season last year.

They didn't want to pay him.

Yet they tried to get Devin Harris and Calderon, even before the season started.

Mainly because they know DJ is not a starting pg.
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 01:27 PM   #11
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

DJ was playing well enough to where they didnt need Felton which is why they didnt see fit to throw money at him.DJ is averaging 13 and 6.I wouldnt exactly call those bench numbers.

As for the Chris Paul thing,I'd definitely do a Felton and Fields deal but I doubt NO would.It would probably take Felton,Fields and Chandler or Gallo.Id rather do Gallo than Chandler but hey....thats just my preference.We all know I think Chandler is better than Gallo

Last edited by franchize : 12-11-2010 at 01:29 PM.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:25 PM   #12
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

Quote:
DJ was playing well enough to where they didnt need Felton which is why they didnt see fit to throw money at him.
Actually he had turned down a multi year deal with them and took the one year qualifying deal for a little over 5 mil be unrestricted.

Same situation like Lee and Nate.

Charlotte offered something like a 5 year 33 mil deal.

Belive me they wanted him, because like I said before they wouldn't have went after Calderon and Devin if they thought DJ could run the show.

They didn't think he was worth more than that.

Although Devin makes 8mil, Calderon around 9mil and they aren't significantly better.
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 03:36 PM   #13
Rowe
Scoring Champ

Quote:

Good Post.

I love this team, but we should have our eye on any deal that will make us a Title Contender next season. Im really not too worried about what happens this season, just as long as we make the Playoffs and I can watch a Playoff game at MSG.
Rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 04:25 AM   #14
Snoop_Cat
Banned

Felton + Fields + Gallinari/Chandler for Paul?

I'd do it in a heart beat. Let's get real, Felton is putting up nice numbers and all, but he's a SG in a PG body and Fields and Gallinari/Chandler are no where near the impact level of a Chris Paul. I'd hope we get Bellinelli or Jack back as well.
Snoop_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 04:25 AM   #15
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Ray Felton was not outplayed by DJ Augustin not did Augustin play so well that Felton wasn't a priority. Felton simply did not want to play for Larry Brown and Michael Jordan anymore. Those two can not run a franchise and Charlotte's success last season will prove to have been a fluke.

Trading for Chris Paul is a pointless move right now. He does not fill any holes for NY. Paul does not add low post defense or rebounding. Paul is not a lockdown isolation wing defender. There is simply no need to acquire him.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: