Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Old 09-12-2010, 04:45 PM   #1
ILLsmak
Life goes on.

Default Jared Sullinger:

Just wanted to say to everyone... even though I think I Said it before... this kid is the truth and watch out for him. He is going to be owning college. Might not be an NBA prospect, but he is going to go ape on college kids.

I'm predicting him to be the best college big we've seen in awhile.

-Smak
ILLsmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 06:40 PM   #2
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

Default Re: Jared Sullinger:

I think he's going to be an excellent college player, but two things are wrong there:

1. The best college big in some time? Come on, now. How much time are you talking about, here?

2. He's absolutely an NBA prospect even though he's slightly undersized for his position.
TheGame414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:08 PM   #3
OnceInADECADE
Banned

I see him as a Kevin Love meets Al Jefferson
OnceInADECADE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:39 PM   #4
ILLsmak
Life goes on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGame414
I think he's going to be an excellent college player, but two things are wrong there:

1. The best college big in some time? Come on, now. How much time are you talking about, here?

2. He's absolutely an NBA prospect even though he's slightly undersized for his position.

I don't see him as an elite prospect... I think he'll make the league but he's not gonna be a star is what I meant.

Who is coming to mind? I don't have the best memory for things but... I'm not thinking of anyone.

Before the one-year rule, it seems like most freak bigs skipped college. Of course, with someone like him who is undersized... he wouldn't have. But since the one-year rule who are you thinking of that he can not potentially be?

I don't want to hear about guys that were going to be elite nba prospects, either, I'm talking about the impact on purely a college level.

I am not saying there isn't someone, because I might have forgotten but let me know so I can remember.

-Smak
Old 09-12-2010, 11:45 PM   #5
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

It's not like you have to go far back. If you wanna talk about guys from the one-and-done era, do you really think Sullinger is going to surpass Kevin Love, Michael Beasley or Greg Oden?

Or if you want to look at guys who won national titles and dominated college for several years, how about Emeka Okafor or Tyler Hansbrough? Or Horford and Noah?

Jared Sullinger could find himself in the same class as guys like that but I'm not joining you on that limb in saying he's going to eclipse them.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:59 PM   #6
ILLsmak
Life goes on.

Quote:
It's not like you have to go far back. If you wanna talk about guys from the one-and-done era, do you really think Sullinger is going to surpass Kevin Love, Michael Beasley or Greg Oden?

Or if you want to look at guys who won national titles and dominated college for several years, how about Emeka Okafor or Tyler Hansbrough? Or Horford and Noah?

Jared Sullinger could find himself in the same class as guys like that but I'm not joining you on that limb in saying he's going to eclipse them.

Beasley had a pretty amazing season. It wasn't until I read his name that I remembered about that, and you're right that wasn't too long ago... but I guess I could argue against that by saying he was not the kind of big I am talking about.

But to the rest, yes, I think that he will. Better than the one-and-dones because he'll stay for more than one year, and better than the guys who stayed for awhile because he's a better player.

His game doesn't need to add anything. It only has to refine a few things. He can do anything you'd want a C to do right now... the only possible downside is undersized.

But hell no he's not putting up 25+ ppg in his first year. lol.

-Smak
Old 09-13-2010, 06:44 PM   #7
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

I understand the point you make about Beasley not being the kind of true "big" you're talking about. He was a face-up power forward, you're right about that. (For what it's worth, if I could go back to the 2007-08 season and have either Kevin Love or Michael Beasley, I'll take Love without thinking twice. I understand he played with much better teammates, but I think his style of play was much more conductive to competing for a national championship.)

And like I said, I think Sullinger has a chance to be fantastic, but I don't think he's going to be better than Love, Okafor, Oden, Noah/Horford, or Hansbrough. I don't think he's the dominant defensive presence that Oden, Noah/Horford and definitely Okafor- and Love, to a lesser extent- all were.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:13 PM   #8
ILLsmak
Life goes on.

Quote:
I understand the point you make about Beasley not being the kind of true "big" you're talking about. He was a face-up power forward, you're right about that. (For what it's worth, if I could go back to the 2007-08 season and have either Kevin Love or Michael Beasley, I'll take Love without thinking twice. I understand he played with much better teammates, but I think his style of play was much more conductive to competing for a national championship.)

And like I said, I think Sullinger has a chance to be fantastic, but I don't think he's going to be better than Love, Okafor, Oden, Noah/Horford, or Hansbrough. I don't think he's the dominant defensive presence that Oden, Noah/Horford and definitely Okafor- and Love, to a lesser extent- all were.

Hey, it's brash but it's what I see. He's a beast. Not an Ohio St fan by any means, but I am going to be keeping tabs on him. I can't think of anything that would hold him back other than injuries to his knees.

-Smak
Old 11-16-2010, 11:12 PM   #9
ILLsmak
Life goes on.

Gonna go ahead and bump this in case anyone else wants to comment.

He still got blocked like 4 times today vs Florida, but the amazing part is he doesn't care. And he didn't miss a shot that wasn't blocked, I don't think.

I'm surprised he was able to get his numbers against that big frontline, but they really made some mistakes and he was able to get in position for the easy dunk often.

One thing I don't understand about him is he chases people way outside of the lane and doesn't fight for position as early as I'd like him to. Still, he stole some rebounds. But a lot of the first half offensive rebounds were because he was chasing someone on the perimeter or because he went too far out to contest a shot when he should have just stayed under the rim.

But still, that's a man's game.

-Smak
Old 11-22-2010, 03:11 AM   #10
MMKM
Local High School Star

Not sold on Sullinger either, at least how he projects. Not tall enough to play center, below average athleticism. But he does have a big body and he knows how to use it, he's intense, and he shoots a high percentage. I don't know, could go either way.
MMKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 07:35 PM   #11
ILLsmak
Life goes on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMKM
Not sold on Sullinger either, at least how he projects. Not tall enough to play center, below average athleticism. But he does have a big body and he knows how to use it, he's intense, and he shoots a high percentage. I don't know, could go either way.

In terms of the NBA, I agree, but in college who do you imagine is going to keep him from doing what he wants?

I didn't think he was a one and done but the way that the announcers are hyping him I bet he will be. That sucks. He's definitely a PF and not a C, though. I dunno if he'll be a star in the NBA or not. He's certainly got the size and IQ.

I hope he stays a 2nd year in college, at least...

-Smak
Old 11-23-2010, 04:13 PM   #12
mrhoopfan
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMKM

sounds like a future Zach randolph with less off court issues. If the case, he needs to go top 7 in draft
mrhoopfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 04:44 PM   #13
Lancerballer21
Serious playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLsmak
In terms of the NBA, I agree, but in college who do you imagine is going to keep him from doing what he wants?

I didn't think he was a one and done but the way that the announcers are hyping him I bet he will be. That sucks. He's definitely a PF and not a C, though. I dunno if he'll be a star in the NBA or not. He's certainly got the size and IQ.

I hope he stays a 2nd year in college, at least...

-Smak

As a buckeye fan i hope he stays another year but i really doubt it
Lancerballer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:56 AM   #14
ILLsmak
Life goes on.

Just put 40 on IUPUI. I gotta admit, he gets some ridiculous calls, though.

I can't wait to see how he does in the big ten...

-Smak
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: