Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-14-2010, 03:30 PM   #31
niko
I Run NY.

Default Re: I'm not sure "Globabl Warming" is the right term for what we're experiencing, but:

This year we have had 30-40 degree swings during days, torrential downpours (we don't get small storms, we get knocking down buildings storms) and tornados. It's strange. We also are quickly losing Fall and Spring, it's becoming this long cold winter that goes directly to hot weather and vice versa.

And i live in Brooklyn, so this is all a bit strange.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 04:48 PM   #32
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

Default Re: I'm not sure "Globabl Warming" is the right term for what we're experiencing, but:

Increased global temperatures means increased temperature of major bodies of water. Increased Oceanic temperature leads to larger, more violent storms.

One of the major issues humans will face in the near future is the "super storm". Just imagine a Hurricane like Katrina (or bigger) hitting the U.S. coast every year.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 04:51 PM   #33
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

And it was 85 where I live yesterday. Was able to get some beach vball in. Now it's back to 65 today.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:05 PM   #34
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreason
One of the major issues humans will face in the near future is the "super storm". Just imagine a Hurricane like Katrina (or bigger) hitting the U.S. coast every year.

You know they keep predicting that we'll have multiple Katrinas hit the U.S. every year yet we haven't had one since Katrina.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:14 PM   #35
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
You know they keep predicting that we'll have multiple Katrinas hit the U.S. every year yet we haven't had one since Katrina.

Every year storms will increase in strength across the globe, so eventually they will be right. I shouldn't say every year, because there are actually fluctuations in global temperature up and down from year to year, but the mean temperature is rising. You have to understand we are dealing with Earth time (millions of years), which means that a year may as well be a second. The odds that we actually get to see any type of global catastrophe directly linked to global warming in our short lifetime is slim. The most likely would obviously be a super storm that wipes out an entire state/country/province/etc.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:27 PM   #36
tpols
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Every year storms will increase in strength across the globe, so eventually they will be right. I shouldn't say every year, because there are actually fluctuations in global temperature up and down from year to year, but the mean temperature is rising. You have to understand we are dealing with Earth time (millions of years), which means that a year may as well be a second. The odds that we actually get to see any type of global catastrophe directly linked to global warming in our short lifetime is slim. The most likely would obviously be a super storm that wipes out an entire state/country/province/etc.
Quote:
Increased global temperatures means increased temperature of major bodies of water. Increased Oceanic temperature leads to larger, more violent storms.

How does this make sense? People have NO IDEA what's going to happen in the future with regards to the environment and environmental disasters. Everyone always thinks they're right, but history has shown us that most of the time we are wrong with our predictions and theories.
tpols is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:29 PM   #37
Legend of Josh
Banned

Quote:

That would uber duper suck. Even worse than mega |i-LL| baby doo-doo squirts. Perhaps mother earth will play a trick on us and have it spur up in the north Atlantic take out London, Paris or Rome. If that doesn't work, FL will do. Too many old folks driving around anyway. Just make sure it doesn't hit my precious Greenland. Leave the eskimos out of this!

Legend of Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:31 PM   #38
Legend of Josh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpols
How does this make sense? People have NO IDEA what's going to happen in the future with regards to the environment and environmental disasters. Everyone always thinks they're right, but history has shown us that most of the time we are wrong with our predictions and theories.

Nu-ugh, Al Gore said so. He said ManBearPig will play in the waters splashy splashy spin-around whooohooo whoooohooo a few good times and it makey big giant mammoth hurrykane and BAM!BAM! wipe euurbidy out mang.
Legend of Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:43 PM   #39
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Kool
Left-wing politics masquerading as science. They've tried to advance the hoax under many different titles with many different disastrous scare tactics (another ice age, ice caps melting resulting in mass flooding, etc.) going back decades now, and now they've resorted to scientific fraud.

It's deplorable.

Watts Up With That?

Nope.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 06:09 PM   #40
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpols
People have NO IDEA what's going to happen in the future with regards to the environment and environmental disasters.

That isn't true at all. We can measure the temperature of the Oceans... and we know that warmer Oceanic waters produce more severe storms.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:52 PM   #41
tpols
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
That isn't true at all. We can measure the temperature of the Oceans... and we know that warmer Oceanic waters produce more severe storms.
So you can say there will be worse storms, but won't be able to tell us how much worse they'll be, if they'll happen ten years from now or 500, and won't be able to tell us where they will happen. Great
tpols is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: