Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-13-2010, 07:00 PM   #1
Premeditated
Banned

Premeditated has one of the lowest reputations on this boardPremeditated has one of the lowest reputations on this boardPremeditated has one of the lowest reputations on this boardPremeditated has one of the lowest reputations on this boardPremeditated has one of the lowest reputations on this boardPremeditated has one of the lowest reputations on this boardPremeditated has one of the lowest reputations on this boardPremeditated has one of the lowest reputations on this boardPremeditated has one of the lowest reputations on this boardPremeditated has one of the lowest reputations on this board
Default There is a serious lack of good soulful rock bands today.

I am far from nostalgic and I'm not like these fair weather music fans. I don't plead for the past to be reincarnated like all these old as people that complain about music, movies and everything else today, bt what ever happened to white MAINSTREAM rocks bands with soul?

Rocks bands are in a serious drought.there are hardly even MAINSTREAM rocks bands today on my ipod. i only have groups like MGMT,Passion Pit, Ratatat(they don't sing but their tracks are funky), Phoenix, Band of Horses, Block Pary, The Black Keys, etc...but i don't consider them mainstream. What happen to the Pink Floyds, LZ, Hendrix Exp', The Doors, Beatles, Halls and Oates(not rock but soul) and all those other white bands from the late 60s to early 80s.They were MAINSTREAM and were real good.

All these mainstream rocks bands today are green and generic as hell.Besides Kings of Leon.
Premeditated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:05 PM   #2
Abd El-Krim
Decent college freshman

Abd El-Krim has an incredible reputation hereAbd El-Krim has an incredible reputation hereAbd El-Krim has an incredible reputation hereAbd El-Krim has an incredible reputation hereAbd El-Krim has an incredible reputation hereAbd El-Krim has an incredible reputation hereAbd El-Krim has an incredible reputation hereAbd El-Krim has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: There is a serious lack of good soulful rock bands today.

Why do you give a **** if something is MAINSTREAM or not?
Abd El-Krim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:12 PM   #3
Premeditated
Banned

Premeditated has one of the lowest reputations on this boardPremeditated has one of the lowest reputations on this boardPremeditated has one of the lowest reputations on this boardPremeditated has one of the lowest reputations on this boardPremeditated has one of the lowest reputations on this boardPremeditated has one of the lowest reputations on this boardPremeditated has one of the lowest reputations on this boardPremeditated has one of the lowest reputations on this boardPremeditated has one of the lowest reputations on this boardPremeditated has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abd El-Krim

I'm just wondering why. Its holds no leverage on the people i listen to. I just want to discuss what is happening to the rock genre. There are good, talented indie bands that are out there or good bands that want more national fame so i don't know why they haven't got recognition.And the ones that are famous, why do they lack soul in their music?
Old 12-13-2010, 07:12 PM   #4
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

BankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abd El-Krim

Excellent question.

As for the OP, the problem with "mainstream" acts that have soul is that there are so few "mainstream" bands that are any good to begin with. Popular rock and roll with the potential for soul is no longer a mainstream concept.

Look what happened to the Kings of Leon. First two albums were awesome; they were raw, unadulterated, rock and f*cking roll. Now they're touring with U2 and writing hits that are popular but are the generic shit that isn't what got them a following in the first place.

As for "mainstream" bands with soul.... its funny you say MGMT is mainstream but the Black Keys are not. They're in the same boat. MGMT's latest album peaked at #2, and the Black Key's latest album peaked at #3. How is one "mainstream" while the other is not??
BankShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:16 PM   #5
Hazard
makhnovshchina

Hazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az0T8evwAI8
Umphrey's McGee is a good modern rock band.
Hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:24 PM   #6
brooks_thompson
Good college starter

brooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputation

1) musicianship. digital recording makes things so easy for everybody to sound decent. with the increase in technology, including more entertainment options like video games and the internet, your typical 'jaded musicians' or outcasts grow up with many more outlets for escaping their discontent with school and building a 'normal' life and job, instead of locking themselves in a room or a garage and spending all of their time practicing and getting better.

2) music history appreciation. most younger artists' don't have the exposure to as great a depth of music as they should. we're talking going back 40-50 years and beyond, and to most young musicians, 'classic' music is 80s stuff, which started the transition to digital recording. then there's the 90s, which was a decade of backlash against the excess and super-songcrafting of the previous decade.
brooks_thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:24 PM   #7
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

BankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az0T8evwAI8
Umphrey's McGee is a good modern rock band.

Yeah Umphrey's is pretty good... but even though they have a huge following, they're far from mainstream.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:26 PM   #8
Premeditated
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankShot

As for "mainstream" bands with soul.... its funny you say MGMT is mainstream but the Black Keys are not. They're in the same boat. MGMT's latest album peaked at #2, and the Black Key's latest album peaked at #3. How is one "mainstream" while the other is not??
i never said MGMT was mainstream. please show me where.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:26 PM   #9
Hazard
makhnovshchina

Hazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankShot
Yeah Umphrey's is pretty good... but even though they have a huge following, they're far from mainstream.
Now a days mainstream is synonymous with awful, so I try to stay away. Good music exists, just not on the radios top 10.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:27 PM   #10
brooks_thompson
Good college starter

brooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputation

and 3) age/experience. a band hoping to strike it big is expected to do it early, so they can have a greater appeal to their target audience (looks/image included). they don't fully develop before putting themselves out there.

then of course it's back to technology, digital distribution, etc, etc.
brooks_thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:33 PM   #11
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premeditated
i never said MGMT was mainstream. please show me where.

Ugh. My mistake.

If you want to have a real conversation, just chill out, otherwise you can stick with your usual ways

So what makes a band "Mainstream?" I'd say a top-selling album would be pretty mainstream.

Does it have to get significant radio play to be "mainstream"?? There's a station in Minneapolis that plays both of those bands heavily.

Do they have to be played in bars?? I hear them in the bars i go to.

Last edited by BankShot : 12-13-2010 at 07:35 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:42 PM   #12
Patrick Chewing
Cobra Kai Sensei

Patrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

The Darkness had promise but they broke up a couple years back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRYNYb30nxU
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:02 PM   #13
kentatm
NBA Legend

kentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

IMO Umprhey's McGee sucks and are probably the worst big name jam band running right now.

I feel like they only became as big as they are now b/c there was a big void left by Phish when they separated for a while.

Quote:
MGMT,Passion Pit, Ratatat , Phoenix, Band of Horses, Block Party, The Black Keys

I rock it out to all of these groups but considering I have heard every single one in commercials, games, tv shows, movies and on the radio for the last few years I have a hard time saying they aren't mainstream.

maybe not top 40, but they aren't really indie groups anymore either.

Last edited by kentatm : 12-13-2010 at 08:05 PM.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:04 PM   #14
Hazard
makhnovshchina

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentatm
IMO Umprhey's McGee sucks and are probably the worst big name jam band running right now.

I feel like they only became as big as they are now b/c there was a big void left by Phish when they separated for a while.
You gotta see them live to truly appreciate their music.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:06 PM   #15
kentatm
NBA Legend

kentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard
You gotta see them live to truly appreciate their music.

sorry brah, seen them live 4 times, most recently this summer at Wakarusa.

i still think they suck.

and its not b/c they are a jam band b/c many of my favorite groups would be classified as such.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: