Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-13-2010, 08:07 PM   #16
Hazard
makhnovshchina

Hazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: There is a serious lack of good soulful rock bands today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentatm
sorry brah, seen live 4 times.

i still think they suck.

and its not b/c they are a jam band either.
To each is own I guess. I saw them live once and they were bad ass. Cant wait till they come to town again.
Hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:23 PM   #17
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

johndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I don't understand why you'd see a band four times if you think they suck.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:27 PM   #18
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

BankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
I don't understand why you'd see a band four times if you think they suck.

Fantastic point.
BankShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:29 PM   #19
Juggernaut_V2.0
One of them ones just.

Juggernaut_V2.0 is popular on this boardJuggernaut_V2.0 is popular on this boardJuggernaut_V2.0 is popular on this boardJuggernaut_V2.0 is popular on this boardJuggernaut_V2.0 is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premeditated
I am far from nostalgic and I'm not like these fair weather music fans. I don't plead for the past to be reincarnated like all these old as people that complain about music, movies and everything else today, bt what ever happened to white MAINSTREAM rocks bands with soul?

Rocks bands are in a serious drought.there are hardly even MAINSTREAM rocks bands today on my ipod. i only have groups like MGMT,Passion Pit, Ratatat(they don't sing but their tracks are funky), Phoenix, Band of Horses, Block Pary, The Black Keys, etc...but i don't consider them mainstream. What happen to the Pink Floyds, LZ, Hendrix Exp', The Doors, Beatles, Halls and Oates(not rock but soul) and all those other white bands from the late 60s to early 80s.They were MAINSTREAM and were real good.

All these mainstream rocks bands today are green and generic as hell.Besides Kings of Leon.

Check out the link I just posted in the 'Rate the song above you' thread. Don't know if it classifies as soulful rock, but check it out. By an artist called Biffy Clyro, Scottish fella I think. Check YouTube for more of his stuff.
Juggernaut_V2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:30 PM   #20
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

BankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut_V2.0
Check out the link I just posted in the 'Rate the song above you' thread. Don't know if it classifies as soulful rock, but check it out. By an artist called Biffy Clyro, Scottish fella I think. Check YouTube for more of his stuff.

post the link here
Old 12-13-2010, 09:35 PM   #21
Juggernaut_V2.0
One of them ones just.

Juggernaut_V2.0 is popular on this boardJuggernaut_V2.0 is popular on this boardJuggernaut_V2.0 is popular on this boardJuggernaut_V2.0 is popular on this boardJuggernaut_V2.0 is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankShot
post the link here

You're so demanding BankShot.....but here ye's go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAh--lH0H3U
Juggernaut_V2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:30 PM   #22
Randy
NBA sixth man of the year

Randy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Listen to The Gaslight Anthem, specifically the album "The '59 Sound".
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:35 PM   #23
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut_V2.0
You're so demanding BankShot.....but here ye's go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAh--lH0H3U

Whose avatar will he jack next??
Old 12-14-2010, 12:17 AM   #24
brooks_thompson
Good college starter

brooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputation

nobody wants to discuss why? or was this just meant to be a trade bands thread
brooks_thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:43 AM   #25
Hazard
makhnovshchina

Hazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooks_thompson
nobody wants to discuss why? or was this just meant to be a trade bands thread
It's simple, you have to sell your soul to go mainstream.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:46 AM   #26
brooks_thompson
Good college starter

brooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard
It's simple, you have to sell your soul to go mainstream.

i disagree. sam phillips use to say something along the lines of "the audience will follow the performer, and it never has to be the other way around." he was right, even in a different time, different place. it's just nobody has had the right combination of balls (integrity) and opportunity (connections) in a long time.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:12 AM   #27
Hazard
makhnovshchina

Quote:
i disagree. sam phillips use to say something along the lines of "the audience will follow the performer, and it never has to be the other way around." he was right, even in a different time, different place. it's just nobody has had the right combination of balls (integrity) and opportunity (connections) in a long time.
Well IMO in order for a song to have soul the artist has to have passion for what he/she is singing about. Since the music industries basically tell you what to sing about its hard to have passion for lyrics that mean nothing. Look at the 70's as an example. The whole rock music movement was in sync with the peace movement and all the anti Vietnam War shit going on. So the artists incorporated that in their songs, and since they believed what they were saying the music sounded damn good. For example

Jimi:
White collared conservative flashing down the street,

Pointing their plastic finger at me.
They're hoping soon my kind will drop and die,
But I'm gonna wave my freak flag high, high.
Wave on, wave on
Fall mountains, just don't fall on me
Go ahead on Mr. Business man, you can't dress like me.
Sing on Brother, play on drummer.

Long story short, my theory is: no passion = no soul.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:35 AM   #28
brooks_thompson
Good college starter

Quote:
Well IMO in order for a song to have soul the artist has to have passion for what he/she is singing about. Since the music industries basically tell you what to sing about its hard to have passion for lyrics that mean nothing. Look at the 70's as an example. The whole rock music movement was in sync with the peace movement and all the anti Vietnam War shit going on. So the artists incorporated that in their songs, and since they believed what they were saying the music sounded damn good. For example

Jimi:
White collared conservative flashing down the street,

Pointing their plastic finger at me.
They're hoping soon my kind will drop and die,
But I'm gonna wave my freak flag high, high.
Wave on, wave on
Fall mountains, just don't fall on me
Go ahead on Mr. Business man, you can't dress like me.
Sing on Brother, play on drummer.

Long story short, my theory is: no passion = no soul.

i'll go beyond that and say no exuberance = no soul. i separate passion for what you're writing or singing from having a good time sharing it with other people, and i think that's the key difference from music being soulful or not.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:41 AM   #29
Hazard
makhnovshchina

Quote:
i'll go beyond that and say no exuberance = no soul. i separate passion for what you're writing or singing from having a good time sharing it with other people, and i think that's the key difference from music being soulful or not.
Sure, exuberance = passion for making people feel good, right?
Old 12-14-2010, 01:47 AM   #30
brooks_thompson
Good college starter

Quote:
Sure, exuberance = passion for making people feel good, right?

yeah, there's just a difference between doing it because you know you're good at it and think you can make a living off doing it vs. doing it because you love it and because you know people will like it. sorry i can't articulate it perfectly right now, been hittin the bottle.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: