Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2010, 02:52 AM   #31
Hazard
makhnovshchina
 
Hazard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Philthadelphia
Posts: 2,403
Default Re: There is a serious lack of good soulful rock bands today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooks_thompson
yeah, there's just a difference between doing it because you know you're good at it and think you can make a living off doing it vs. doing it because you love it and because you know people will like it. sorry i can't articulate it perfectly right now, been hittin the bottle.
Yeah I agree, thats a good way to put it. Doing it for the love = soul, and doing it for the money = watered down bullshit on the radio.
Hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:58 AM   #32
brooks_thompson
Good college starter
 
brooks_thompson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,206
Default Re: There is a serious lack of good soulful rock bands today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard
Yeah I agree, thats a good way to put it. Doing it for the love = soul, and doing it for the money = watered down bullshit on the radio.

but there was a time, as late as the 80s, that people could do it for the money and still be good (and soulful!) at it, both as musicians and songwriters. journey, for example, although my tastes may be different than yours. still, they were a huge band, and though they were just trying to make money, they wrote some fantastically catchy and emotional songs, and had great musicianship (at least as far as singing and guitar playing goes) to back it up.
brooks_thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:13 AM   #33
Hazard
makhnovshchina
 
Hazard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Philthadelphia
Posts: 2,403
Default Re: There is a serious lack of good soulful rock bands today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooks_thompson
but there was a time, as late as the 80s, that people could do it for the money and still be good (and soulful!) at it, both as musicians and songwriters. journey, for example, although my tastes may be different than yours. still, they were a huge band, and though they were just trying to make money, they wrote some fantastically catchy and emotional songs, and had great musicianship (at least as far as singing and guitar playing goes) to back it up.
No idea, not too educated about 80's music. I'll take your word for it though

Last good rock song I heard on the radio:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_iBKacXIA4
Granted I don't partake in radio listening too often.
Hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:41 AM   #34
kentatm
NBA Legend
 
kentatm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 17,470
Default Re: There is a serious lack of good soulful rock bands today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
I don't understand why you'd see a band four times if you think they suck.


1st time was in Chicago and obviously didnt know i wouldnt like it

2nd time i was hoping maybe the first show was a fluke bad one, the ticket was free from a friend in NYC and I really wanted to see the other band, Sound Tribe Sector 9 (who kicked ass)

the 3rd (Bonnaroo) and 4th (Wakarusa) they were at festivals and I was posting up at the stages where they played to wait for later bands.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:43 AM   #35
Hawker
Banned
 
Hawker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,940
Default Re: There is a serious lack of good soulful rock bands today.

There's a lack of good rock bands in general.
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:46 AM   #36
Hazard
makhnovshchina
 
Hazard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Philthadelphia
Posts: 2,403
Default Re: There is a serious lack of good soulful rock bands today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentatm
1st time was in Chicago and obviously didnt know i wouldnt like it

2nd time i was hoping maybe the first show was a fluke bad one, the ticket was free from a friend in NYC and I really wanted to see the other band, Sound Tribe Sector 9 (who kicked ass)

the 3rd (Bonnaroo) and 4th (Wakarusa) they were at festivals and I was posting up at the stages where they played to wait for later bands.
Nice, I was gonna see STS9 at Lolla a year ago but missed them, pretty pissed about that. Saw Tool though, that made my whole life.
Hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:46 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy