Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-15-2010, 12:08 PM   #16
knobs
Decent playground baller

knobs is a pretty well-respected posterknobs is a pretty well-respected posterknobs is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Jon Stewart's complete ownage on GOP's 9/11 vote

i love the daily show compilation clips that come at the start of their segments, featuring that week's 'buzz phrases' from either party - though more so from the gop. it completely exposes the top down structure of each side; the party leaders as 'masterful politicians' and the rest as 'dutiful minions', spreading their good word with carefully phrased rhetoric adopted with the purpose of a) promoting some sort of meaningless party unity and b) spreading propaganda to the public. and the buzz-bullsh*t that they come up with can't really be called anything but propaganda. i can't think of any specific examples, but pick any random daily show clip and you'll be sure to find exactly what i'm talking about. it's vague and generic rhetoric that most of these idiot pigeon carrier party representatives couldn't explain in even the simplest detail if pressed. they tout what they're told for the good of red or blue, and frankly, it's despicable that they consider the general public ignorant enough to buy into it - not that that consideration is anything but perfectly accurate of course.

the daily show has done better than the op's video in terms of comedic value, but rarely are their attacks on the gop so valid as this. 'holding congress ransom' - which is more or less what they did, and don't think it'll end at this - is indefensible. that's why stewart was so much more animated and to the point than in other attacks. both parties provide a lot of material for easy potshots and criticism, but as far as new lows go, this was the most underhanded in a while. absolutely shameful.

Quote:
The sad thing is this clip, as revealing of the general GOP hypocrisy, will never carry any weight or gain any traction. After all Stewart is "just a comedian" on "just a fake news show" and is therefore exempt from being able to say intelligent things.
i think i detect some irony in this post, but nevertheless, it should be said that stewart's a meaningful pundit at this point. no matter how much the far right wants to revoke his credibility by pointing to his chosen profession, he's taken -just- as seriously by a good sized demographic as any other 'real' newscaster. for the good or the bad.
knobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 05:41 PM   #17
knobs
Decent playground baller

knobs is a pretty well-respected posterknobs is a pretty well-respected posterknobs is a pretty well-respected poster

the bill has now passed, but stewart's still pounding in the point, after dedicating all of thursday's show to the subject. he rammed another solid eight minute rant about it into his opening monologue, and then interviewed four first responders, all with significant health problems. then he presses mike huckabee on the issue in the interview.

also, shep smith goes on a rant
Old 12-19-2010, 06:04 PM   #18
BEAST Griffin
SAY NO TO RENT SEEKING

BEAST Griffin is considered somewhat coolBEAST Griffin is considered somewhat coolBEAST Griffin is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCL
to the gop, keeping tax cuts at 36% instead of 39% for the rich >>>>>>> 9/11 vote.

they were focused only on the primary agenda, which was keeping their wallets fat. fk the 9/11 vote.

Income =/= wealth.

Taxing high income =/= taxing the rich.

Last edited by BEAST Griffin : 12-19-2010 at 06:14 PM.
BEAST Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 06:59 PM   #19
magnax1
Not a mormon

magnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

John Stewart is like the Comedic/liberal version of Bill Oreilly. Just gets morally outraged at everything the republicans do. Not saying I don't like him or disagree, though it is quite obnoxious sometimes.
magnax1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 07:44 PM   #20
Showtime
Hardwood Hero

Showtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnax1
John Stewart is like the Comedic/liberal version of Bill Oreilly. Just gets morally outraged at everything the republicans do. Not saying I don't like him or disagree, though it is quite obnoxious sometimes.
Well, the level of absurdity and hypocrisy in the political area merits constant outrage.
Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 07:51 PM   #21
magnax1
Not a mormon

magnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime
Well, the level of absurdity and hypocrisy in the political area merits constant outrage.
I guess it merits outrage, but outrage doesn't really do much. It's just rather obnoxious, maybe not to everyone, but to me it is.
I guess all I'm really saying is that I hate political commentators as much as I hate politicians.
magnax1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:12 PM   #22
RoseCity07
NBA Legend

RoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I'm a democrat, so naturally I enjoy a ton of comedy at the republicans expense. It's just too easy though. They try and hit back, but they just repeat the same comebacks that weren't funny in elementary school.

Both parties are flawed, Democrats never get sh*t done. The Republicans just rape the country though, and get people killed in war.
RoseCity07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:28 AM   #23
YAWN
NBA All-star

YAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

loved the ending on this
YAWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:41 AM   #24
knobs
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnax1
I guess it merits outrage, but outrage doesn't really do much. It's just rather obnoxious, maybe not to everyone, but to me it is.
I guess all I'm really saying is that I hate political commentators as much as I hate politicians.
actually, it seems pretty likely that stewart's dedication to this particular issue, in the absence of any coverage by the 'big four', had a significant impact in finally pushing the bill through. first he popularizes the issue on his show and pounds home points of moral outrage (in comedic fashion as always), and within a week, the bill had passed. what it looks like is that his comedy variety show made waves in the real world. so yeah, i'd say it did do something.

just like outrage can always do something when politicians are forced to pay attention to their constituents. leave your pessimism at the door, because it's not helping and it's not accurate.

Last edited by knobs : 12-20-2010 at 08:20 AM.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:06 AM   #25
brantonli
In Morey We Trust!

brantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/th...ate-filibuster

Any body watched this video? Damn near brought a tear to my eye. Somebody needs to show this to the Repubs.
brantonli is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: