Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Brooklyn Nets Forum

Brooklyn Nets Forum Brooklyn Nets message board - Brooklyn Nets forum

Old 12-15-2010, 03:03 PM   #1
whaley82
High School JV MVP

Default Going for the right Future?

Hello Everyone,

So it has been years since the last time I posted, got fed up with the Trolls on this site. (None of which I found were Nets fans to be clear of that statement.) But I've always watched the site and read what you guys have to say everyday. And respect your voices and now Im asking for your opinion on this.

For several months we've been talking about trading for Carmelo Anthony. And now after this Terrence Williams trade we have 5 first round picks over the enxt two years and were about to trade it for melo with Derrick Favors. But is it really worth it?

I dont think Harris, Morrow, Melo, Kris, Lopez will win against lakers,Boston, Spurs, Miami, Dallas. So why do we trade our future picks that prolly at least 3 of them maybe 4 could be someonewhere in the lottery. Why dont we hold on to these draft players so that in 5 years down the road or even 3. That way Boston, Lakers, Spurs, Mavs will all be much older and no way at the level they are now. Do we really want to be right back to the Kidd, RJ and VC era again? Hoping maybe this year we will get past the first or second round in the playoffs?
whaley82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 04:17 PM   #2
Puretalent365
I airball my layups

Default Re: Going for the right Future?

Melo trade wont be worth it right now. Favors is a major cog this team cant afford to lose. But I dont think all five of those picks will be on this team. Not to jump far ahead to the draft there is only two players this team can use Harrison Barnes and Kyrie Irving. The odds of getting them is kinda low to me.
Puretalent365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:30 PM   #3
MTing
Where Brooklyn at?

Whaley!! Its been a while buddy =).

I believe Gigantes has been saying this all along, and I agree. I dont think trading our future is worth Melo. We'll probably make the playoffs every year but a first/second round exit every year isnt worth 5 picks and Favors.

BUT
On the other hand, we dont know how this team will function if we do get Melo. I think Melo is the best pure scorer in this league and thats exactly what this team needs right now, a scorer/go to guy. We saw what Harris did when Vince was here right? He made the allstar team averaging 21 and 8. He struggles these days because hes being doubled constantly and has to create his own shot pretty much every time. With Melo here, teams will be focusing on him and Harris can roam freely again.

I am not saying we should do it, I'm still 50-50 on this whole situation. I'm just saying we really dont know how Melo would fit in our system. It could be average or amazing, we wont know till it actually happens.
MTing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:54 PM   #4
Nets fan 93
Brooklyn Nets >

We have a great coach, a rich owner, and a gm who has built a team that made it to the finals before. The Rich owner thinks he can build a team that is a championship contender in the next 5 years. Getting Melo may be a 1st round exit this year. But it's not like he would only be here for 1 year. The Nets aren't trading for him unless he is extended. There is plenty of time to build around him and Lopez. I say the Nets should go for him ASAP. Though I do really like Favors right about now. If the Nets want that championship, they can't wait on a project. get the real deal in Melo, a top 10 player in the league.
Nets fan 93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:59 PM   #5
whaley82
High School JV MVP

Yes we should trade some picks for players but we need to keep our own, because they will be high picks and I disagree that Barnes and Irving are the only players we can use, and i would be surprised right now if either of them go in this years draft. I think Terrence Jones is a great pick now with the lost of Terrence Williams. Sullinger could create a great Frontcourt trio. As well as Perry Jones, I think hes going to need a few years reaching his potential but when he does I think he will be a all-star. Ive really enjoyed watching him on Baylor and I think he looks a little uncertain sometimes on offense but I think we he gets really comfortable to look out.

Its true we do not know what adding Melo will do to our team, Harris might be able to get back to lighting the league up and that would really start to open things up for lopez as well, but I think we loose some Defence in this which will really hurt us as well. Im a huge fan of Melo I have since we was drafted. But I think we have to give up to much for him. And it will just create a team that gets taken out first or second round. Plus if we do give up all the draft picks what do we have to trade with? Well just have to hope for Free agency which we learned this summer can really suck as well.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:38 PM   #6
gigantes
A piece of fluff

OMG, whaley!... friggen awesome to see that you're still around!

anyway- you, MT, and NF93 pretty-much summed up the many different ways to feel about the situation.

me? i don't know how to feel about the nets, anymore. i mean, i love the brooklyn move and (theoretically) i love the stockpiling of draft picks, but my question is- when is the team going to start putting down roots?

i mean, it takes time to build the base, which is the only successful road to a championship from my POV, and yet our team keeps putting off that process by trading our young, talented players. i mean, gol'dang!

i mean, i love lopes, but he's about the only reason i have to follow the team anymore. meanwhile, RJ and kidd are tearing it up. and VC and kmart have some problems, but their teams are still doing well.

so again, why am i still a fan of this team? not even rod thorn is left, and he was the one guy i relied upon during the darkest hours to steer the franchise straight.

gol' dangity dang...

/ramble
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 12:31 AM   #7
MTing
Where Brooklyn at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
i mean, i love lopes, but he's about the only reason i have to follow the team anymore. meanwhile, RJ and kidd are tearing it up. and VC and kmart have some problems, but their teams are still doing well.

so again, why am i still a fan of this team? not even rod thorn is left, and he was the one guy i relied upon during the darkest hours to steer the franchise straight.
I feel the exact same way a lot of times.
I go to college in New York and you dont know how much it pains me to see all these Knicks fans talk about how well there doing lately, how Amare is a monster. I just have to keep reminding myself not to be a bandwagon fan because I hate people who jump ship.
MTing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:10 AM   #8
Puretalent365
I airball my layups

God, As much as I watch the wildcats this yr how I forget Terrence Jones? He is good option for this team at the 3 and should be ready to excel by the time outlaw s deal is done.
Puretalent365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 12:19 PM   #9
whaley82
High School JV MVP

It is hard to stay a fan when you keep watching them lose and you can't really get excited about the future of the team. Like right now I am excited to get the development of Favors beside Lopez I think that can really be something because they compliment each other. Favors wants those boards and is willing to do what it takes. He also wants to catch near the rim and just throw it down. Lopez on the other end wants to score. ( but he must get stronger so he can catch it closer to the paint and not out at the 3). I really like Terrence Williams but we had to trade him but we could still get some solid prospects with the rockets pick next year and with the Lakers this year or use it for trade pieces. But if we start giving away all these I might be needing a new team to cheer for.

Im liking whats going on down in with the Timberwolves if Ricky can come over to the NBA and can actually compete.

Wildcats have been playing good this year and Terrence is a good reason for that. After watching videos of his stuff from high school I was expecting him to be passing more in College ball but instead hes becoming someone you have to watch out as a scorer. I really like watching him, almost as much as Perry. Did anyone see the second half of Baylor last night? Perry 15 points and 6-7 boards in the half but showed off some nice moves and nice Turn around fade that looked pretty. It just upset me watch Baylor playing him as there Center and making him beat around in the post the entire time. He does do well but he wont be doing that in the NBA I see him has a SF/PF when need to be. Similar to Odom in that aspect.

Last edited by whaley82 : 12-16-2010 at 12:26 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:09 PM   #10
Nets fan 93
Brooklyn Nets >

A lot of great thoughts and posts. I repped all of you.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:17 PM   #11
Nets fan 93
Brooklyn Nets >

With the 'Melo talks being "dead" it looks like the Nets are going for the future. Is it the right one though?
Old 01-26-2011, 10:42 PM   #12
D12"Magic"
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nets fan 93
With the 'Melo talks being "dead" it looks like the Nets are going for the future. Is it the right one though?
Hopefully.
D12"Magic" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:52 PM   #13
whaley82
High School JV MVP

I believe it is. It's just going to take some time, and we have all the time in the world. Or in Mikhail Prokhorov view...5 years.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: