Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-17-2010, 01:46 PM   #16
dyna
National High School Star

dyna is popular on this boarddyna is popular on this boarddyna is popular on this boarddyna is popular on this boarddyna is popular on this board
Default Re: Where does the newer generation of rappers rank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VishaltotheG
T.I. and Kanye should be at the top, Jay-Z is next although he's way out of his prime. And if you count Mike Shinoda, he's up there too. Drake is the best of the worst. Eminem is pretty bad since he's been collaborating with people like Rihanna and Jessica Simpson. He's near Drake level but if he goes back to being good again, I'll put him in the top 10.

dyna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 02:07 PM   #17
sunsfan1357
Word.

sunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Getter
Please give me a little background on yourself.

Because this statement right here screams "young out-of-touch white guy from the suburbs with no knowledge of Hip-Hop culture."

For real man, if you love Hip-Hop you have to understand how stupid and disrespectful your post is.

Don't you always make a deal out of people stereotyping things as "black", yet you go on to call someone out as an out of touch suburbian white guy because he doesn't have the same views on hip hop as you?

Last edited by sunsfan1357 : 12-17-2010 at 02:16 PM.
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 02:09 PM   #18
v-unit
NBA All-star

v-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

If anyone from the new generation it's Kanye West and Lupe Fiasco. I think J.Cole will be considered top 10 easily after his career is done but he didn't even start yet.
v-unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 02:34 PM   #19
Premeditated
Banned

Premeditated has one of the lowest reputations on this boardPremeditated has one of the lowest reputations on this boardPremeditated has one of the lowest reputations on this boardPremeditated has one of the lowest reputations on this boardPremeditated has one of the lowest reputations on this boardPremeditated has one of the lowest reputations on this boardPremeditated has one of the lowest reputations on this boardPremeditated has one of the lowest reputations on this boardPremeditated has one of the lowest reputations on this boardPremeditated has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsfan1357
Don't you always make a deal out of people stereotyping things as "black", yet you go on to call someone out as an out of touch suburbian white guy because he doesn't have the same views on hip hop as you?
co-sign.

because i don't consider the gangsta rap era or Wu Tang era as the golden years, he thinks i sound white now. If he actually goes outside his hood he'll realize there are lots of other dudes that don't fukk with that era either. does it me i don't respect it? no. Am i saying it didn't have a huge impact? of course not. Go Getter is the one that seems out of touch.
Premeditated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 02:48 PM   #20
lefthook00
College star

lefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Getter

His production, fashion sense, swag, and genre cross-over have definitely had more impact than anything that's come out of his mouth.
lefthook00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 03:36 PM   #21
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

andgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Kanye revolutionized hip hop?
Weezy and TI top 10?

I think that this generation of rap (Overall) is really bad (in the not good way).

I think standards have dropped almost all across the board, so anybody with a slightly clever rhyme gets hailed. I also think that its become too commercial and this has diluted the genre as a whole.

I respect Kanye for what he's done, but he's not revolutionary.

I will agree that he is 'evolutionary' which are two different things.

I always tend to judge musical eras by the 'avg' pool, not by its worse or its best. Because every era is gonna have some brilliant and not so brilliant artists. How does the avg artist within that era rank?

And...

More importantly, how talented and diverse is the commercial scene?

We can always look to the underground/indie for talent, that's a given in any era. But I feel that the popular (commerically successful) are the driving force and the best way to measure an era.

And sadly, this generation ranks almost all the way at the bottom.

There's some highlights along the way of course, mostly coming in the early 00k era, but the overwhelming majority of lackluster quality artist and the overrating and deteriorating standards brings it down.

I think that the only era worse than this current crop, is the late 70s- 84 or so.

And only because this was the beginning of hip hop and it was still trying to find itself. It was still a baby and honestly if we compared rhymes, beats, delivery, flow this era has an edge.... but that aint saying much. I actually think its sad to think that today's hip hop compares more to that era.
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 03:44 PM   #22
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

bdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Only guys who even get top 10 consideration over the past decade are Eminem, Jay Z, and Kanye.. and these 3 are pretty much retired at this point (or should be).

This generation of "rappers" is pathetic. Very little real talent, and a lot of over-production.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 04:34 PM   #23
NoName22
Larry Holmes status ?

NoName22 has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsNoName22 has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsNoName22 has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsNoName22 has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsNoName22 has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsNoName22 has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreason
Only guys who even get top 10 consideration over the past decade are Eminem, Jay Z, and Kanye.. and these 3 are pretty much retired at this point (or should be).

This generation of "rappers" is pathetic. Very little real talent, and a lot of over-production.

No Nas ?
NoName22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 04:37 PM   #24
TennesseeFan
Banned

TennesseeFan has one of the lowest reputations on this boardTennesseeFan has one of the lowest reputations on this boardTennesseeFan has one of the lowest reputations on this boardTennesseeFan has one of the lowest reputations on this boardTennesseeFan has one of the lowest reputations on this boardTennesseeFan has one of the lowest reputations on this board

This is how I look at it.

80s=General Rap Era
90s=Gangster Rap Era
Early and mid 00's=Club Poppin' Era
Late 00s and current=Swagger Era

Thats generally how they judge who the good rappers are decade by decade
TennesseeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 04:47 PM   #25
Premeditated
Banned

Premeditated has one of the lowest reputations on this boardPremeditated has one of the lowest reputations on this boardPremeditated has one of the lowest reputations on this boardPremeditated has one of the lowest reputations on this boardPremeditated has one of the lowest reputations on this boardPremeditated has one of the lowest reputations on this boardPremeditated has one of the lowest reputations on this boardPremeditated has one of the lowest reputations on this boardPremeditated has one of the lowest reputations on this boardPremeditated has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by andgar923
Kanye revolutionized hip hop?
Weezy and TI top 10?
I think that this generation of rap (Overall) is really bad (in the not good way).
I think standards have dropped almost all across the board, so anybody with a slightly clever rhyme gets hailed. I also think that its become too commercial and this has diluted the genre as a whole.
I respect Kanye for what he's done, but he's not revolutionary.
I will agree that he is 'evolutionary' which are two different things.
I always tend to judge musical eras by the 'avg' pool, not by its worse or its best. Because every era is gonna have some brilliant and not so brilliant artists. How does the avg artist within that era rank?
And...
More importantly, how talented and diverse is the commercial scene?
We can always look to the underground/indie for talent, that's a given in any era. But I feel that the popular (commerically successful) are the driving force and the best way to measure an era.
And sadly, this generation ranks almost all the way at the bottom.
There's some highlights along the way of course, mostly coming in the early 00k era, but the overwhelming majority of lackluster quality artist and the overrating and deteriorating standards brings it down.
I think that the only era worse than this current crop, is the late 70s- 84 or so.
And only because this was the beginning of hip hop and it was still trying to find itself. It was still a baby and honestly if we compared rhymes, beats, delivery, flow this era has an edge.... but that aint saying much. I actually think its sad to think that today's hip hop compares more to that era.
2pac and Canibus top 10 (i can do the same too)

Today's artist know how to make songs, today's artist are trend sending hip hop from a marketing stand point and creative standpoint. Sorry sir, but your generation's production was staled and dry. Today's artist aren't rapping about selling drugs to their own people and boosting about murking his fellow brother over a b1tch or the color he's wearing. Only mainstream rappers from your generation making positive music was De La Soul, ATCQ, Rakim, Arrested Development etc...Most of them were putting negative singles while our artist today are putting out singles about going to the club and having fun or regular n1kka rap. I'd rather listen to Lupe, Cole, Wale, Kanye, Lil B, Wiz, Blu and people that came out after 03 than the 90s rappers besides Jay, Nas, Cube and the others that I've posted.

Lol@ Kanye not being revolutionary. Who was the one that went on live tv to sonned the President of the United States and made it one of the lowest times of their presidency? Who went to the VMAs storm on stage and expose MTV for trying to question our stupidly by making us believe that some generic country video is female video of the year when Beyonce's single ladies was the hottest video that year? Who repeatedly stated through out interviews that white people should say any black slangs unless its played out?

The difference between Kanye and Pac is that Kanye actually acted out on his statement and Pac did the exact opposite. How do you go from 'Dear Mama' and 'Keep your head up' to acting like a complete jiggaboo and you and your crew accidently killing a 6(don't remember exact age) years old girl because you were aiming for someone else. how do you go from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgA95WN7tX8 to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ug78aVtkuVI?

this new generation is taking a step into the right direction with positivity just like how the blueprint of hip hop was founded except with better artist and good production and smarter business savy cats.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:51 PM   #26
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

andgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeFan
This is how I look at it.

80s=General Rap Era
90s=Gangster Rap Era
Early and mid 00's=Club Poppin' Era
Late 00s and current=Swagger Era

Thats generally how they judge who the good rappers are decade by decade

I always thought that musical eras should've bee judged in 5 year cycles rather than entire decades, but that's just me.

Musical trends don't last entire decades, music changes in what appears to be 5 year cycles. For example, we can look at the early 90s and notice a shift starting in the mid 90s, same for this decade as well.

I also think that during these cycles, the beginning of the decade is usually a continuation or carry over from the years prior. That's because the artists were still influenced and were recording with the prior decade's pov and sensibilities.

Don't believe me?

Listen to the albums released in the beginning of each decade from any genre and notice how they're a continuation of the prior decade.

So for instance.....

This decade shouldn't be known measured as 00-10

Imo, a 5 year trend started in late 90s cycle: 98-02 (or so... give or take a year).
90s should be: 93-98... notice how hip hop changes in that time span (or most of music in general.

During these 5 year cycles, music tends to shift in every genre (again... give or take a year) but not in decades.
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 04:55 PM   #27
CMsam
Banned

CMsam is starting to rub some people the wrong wayCMsam is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premeditated
2pac and Canibus top 10 (i can do the same too)

Umm, yes. Both without question.
CMsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 05:02 PM   #28
Premeditated
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMsam
Umm, yes. Both without question.
well then. i guess Cory Gunz and Lil B is top 10 then huh.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:03 PM   #29
Captain Kirk
Beat the world...

Captain Kirk has an incredible reputation hereCaptain Kirk has an incredible reputation hereCaptain Kirk has an incredible reputation hereCaptain Kirk has an incredible reputation hereCaptain Kirk has an incredible reputation hereCaptain Kirk has an incredible reputation hereCaptain Kirk has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-unit
If anyone from the new generation it's Kanye West and Lupe Fiasco. I think J.Cole will be considered top 10 easily after his career is done but he didn't even start yet.

I think J.Cole has potential to become one of the GOATs. Listening to Friday Night Lights...the dude is nice.

With that said, when I weigh the good and bad, I would say this generation is a lot of flattery and not so much originality. There are many quality artist, but not as many of them have music that stand the test of time they way the previous (90s and before) generation's music has to this day.

Last edited by Captain Kirk : 12-17-2010 at 05:06 PM.
Captain Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 05:11 PM   #30
CMsam
Banned

CMsam is starting to rub some people the wrong wayCMsam is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premeditated
well then. i guess Cory Gunz and Lil B is top 10 then huh.

CMsam is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: