Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 12-22-2010, 01:45 PM   #1
ashbelly
NBA sixth man of the year

ashbelly has one of the lowest reputations on this boardashbelly has one of the lowest reputations on this boardashbelly has one of the lowest reputations on this boardashbelly has one of the lowest reputations on this boardashbelly has one of the lowest reputations on this boardashbelly has one of the lowest reputations on this boardashbelly has one of the lowest reputations on this boardashbelly has one of the lowest reputations on this boardashbelly has one of the lowest reputations on this boardashbelly has one of the lowest reputations on this boardashbelly has one of the lowest reputations on this board
Default Phil Jackson- "I don't think anyone should play on Xmas day"

Quote:
LOS ANGELES (AP)—Phil Jackson says humbug to the NBA’s Christmas schedule.

The 11-time NBA champion coach restated his longtime opposition to Christmas games Tuesday night before his Los Angeles Lakers faced the Milwaukee Bucks in their final tuneup before Saturday’s visit from the Miami Heat.

“It’s like Christian holidays don’t mean to them anything any more,” Jackson said. “Just go out and play and entertain the TV. It’s really weird, but it is what it is. We have to go to work and make the best of it.”

Jackson is the son of two Christian ministers, and he famously wrote a book on his spiritual growth related to basketball.

The Lakers have played on every Christmas since 1999, including three straight games against the Heat during Shaquille O’Neal’s(notes) tenure after his trade from Los Angeles. Kobe Bryant(notes) has played on Christmas in 13 of his 15 NBA seasons—not including the 1998-99 season, which didn’t begin until the new year due to the lockout.

Jackson hates the Lakers’ annual spot in the showcase, noting the NHL and most other major sports usually take Christmas off.

“I don’t think anybody should play on Christmas Day,” Jackson said. “I don’t understand it.”

The coach doesn’t sound interested in voicing those concerns in person to commissioner David Stern, however.

“He’ll see it,” Jackson said with a grin.

Jackson also objects to the proliferating number of Christmas games in recent seasons, after many years with a single or two holiday games. The NBA has scheduled five for Saturday, with Bryant’s showdown against LeBron James(notes) and the revamped Heat at center stage.

Jackson said the timing of the game—and the 2 p.m. local start time, 5 1/2 hours earlier than the Lakers’ usual tip-off—will reduce its importance.

“It’s going to be Christmas, and you’re going to have little kids putting batteries in toys and putting their Christmas presents together,” Jackson said. “There’s all kinds of crazy stuff going on, and now your head has got to get focused on the game, in the middle of the afternoon on Christmas Day.”

Jackson believes the Lakers got overly amped about last season’s Christmas meeting with the Cleveland Cavaliers, leading to a painful loss that ended with fans throwing dozens of novelty foam hands onto the court. A year earlier, Los Angeles snapped the Boston Celtics’ 19-game winning streak in a rematch of the 2008 NBA finals.

Jackson would prefer to see those historic moments on other calendar dates.

“When I was in the CBA, we had a commissioner who scheduled a Christmas Eve game. I had to call him up and say, ‘That’s the holy time,”’ Jackson said. “You just have to keep reminding them that this is a special day

I thought lakers didnt care about last Xmas game VS the Cavs ?
ashbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:46 PM   #2
Mr. Jabbar
Xmas MVP

Mr. Jabbar has a near all-star reputation hereMr. Jabbar has a near all-star reputation hereMr. Jabbar has a near all-star reputation hereMr. Jabbar has a near all-star reputation hereMr. Jabbar has a near all-star reputation hereMr. Jabbar has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: Phil Jackson- "I don't think anyone should play on Xmas day"

This explains why the Lakers never show up on chritmass
Mr. Jabbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:49 PM   #3
Vince McMahon
I hit open layups

Vince McMahon is starting to rub some people the wrong wayVince McMahon is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbelly
I thought lakers didnt care about last Xmas game VS the Cavs ?
last year you were a cavs fan and this year you're a heat fan? wonder why?
Vince McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:50 PM   #4
bagelred
Weird

bagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Phil "Commissioner, I really don't think the NBA should schedule games on Xmas"

Stern "Well I'm Jewish and don't give a sh-t about your Christian holidays. Now get your gentile ass on the court before you get a visit from the Mossad. Shabbat Shalom, Mother F-cker!!!!!"
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:52 PM   #5
ashbelly

ashbelly has one of the lowest reputations on this boardashbelly has one of the lowest reputations on this boardashbelly has one of the lowest reputations on this boardashbelly has one of the lowest reputations on this boardashbelly has one of the lowest reputations on this boardashbelly has one of the lowest reputations on this boardashbelly has one of the lowest reputations on this boardashbelly has one of the lowest reputations on this boardashbelly has one of the lowest reputations on this boardashbelly has one of the lowest reputations on this boardashbelly has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelred

Stern "Well I'm Jewish and don't give a sh-t about your Christian holidays. Now get your gentile ass on the court before you get a visit from the Mossad. Shabbat Shalom, Mother F-cker!!!!!"

Old 12-22-2010, 01:53 PM   #6
SinJackal
Banned

SinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Agreed, to be honest. These guys have families, and they have to miss Christmas to play games.

Really, no games should be played on the 24th and 25th, so they can be with their families (Unless the 24th games are between teams who are in close proximity to eachother, like Bulls/Bucks, Lakers/Clippers, Knicks/Nets, etc. Then they can at least be at home at first and go home right away.).

Perfectly understandable point of view by Phil about this.
SinJackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:54 PM   #7
nightprowler10
Bring Back Bogans!

nightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

If Christians stop tuning in to all the games on their holiest day, the NBA will stop scheduling them.

Agree with Phil BTW.
nightprowler10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:58 PM   #8
ashbelly

Phil is just whinning as usual, Miami is on the road on thursday playing the suns and will travel on friday to LA to play the lakers. Meanwhile the lakers don't play anyone until Xmas Day. Quit whinning, other guys work 8 hours on Xmas, You shouldn't be complaining.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:09 PM   #9
clipps
Good college starter

clipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputation

I get paid E-3 pay in the Air-Force to work weekends and holidays. I've worked Valentines, St Patti's, Memorial, Veterans, Independents, Halloween, Columbus, Thanksgiving, and will be working Christmas and New Years standing in the cold checking some a-hole Colonel's I'd. And Phil is a millionaire complaining about being a Staples Center for roughly 3-4 hours. **** rich a-holes.
clipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 02:11 PM   #10
nightprowler10
Bring Back Bogans!

nightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipps
I get paid E-3 pay in the Air-Force to work weekends and holidays. I've worked Valentines, St Patti's, Memorial, Veterans, Independents, Halloween, Columbus, Thanksgiving, and will be working Christmas and New Years standing in the cold checking some a-hole Colonel's I'd. And Phil is a millionaire complaining about being a Staples Center for roughly 3-4 hours. **** rich a-holes.

Puts things in perspective doesn't it...

/thread
nightprowler10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 02:12 PM   #11
Mr. Jabbar
Xmas MVP

Mr. Jabbar has a near all-star reputation hereMr. Jabbar has a near all-star reputation hereMr. Jabbar has a near all-star reputation hereMr. Jabbar has a near all-star reputation hereMr. Jabbar has a near all-star reputation hereMr. Jabbar has a near all-star reputation here

Van Gundy stated the same damn thing last xmass when ORL faced BOS I think.
Mr. Jabbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 02:15 PM   #12
KGMN
I score open layups

KGMN has decent reputationKGMN has decent reputation

I understand what Phil's saying, but the NBA doesn't take 8 days off because of Hanukkah or 7 days off because of Kwanzaa. If they don't take days off for other holidays, why should they for Christmas?
KGMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 02:18 PM   #13
ashbelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGMN
I understand what Phil's saying, but the NBA doesn't take 8 days off because of Hanukkah or 7 days off because of Kwanzaa. If they don't take days off for other holidays, why should they for Christmas?

Hadadi and Caspri are asking the same questions.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:26 PM   #14
PullupJay
This Digital Ghost

PullupJay is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPullupJay is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPullupJay is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPullupJay is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPullupJay is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPullupJay is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPullupJay is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPullupJay is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPullupJay is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPullupJay is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPullupJay is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelred

Lmao...... why are us jews so damn funny
PullupJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 02:42 PM   #15
B-Low
The Love B-Low

B-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipps

repped. Hell even go to Walgreens every Christmas and you'll see people that have to work who are no doubt making like $11 an hour (and even that's just because of time and a half) to be there. I'm sure they'd rather be with their families too.
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: