Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-18-2010, 07:13 AM   #1
Go Getter
Wild 100's

Go Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation here
Default Are rappers like Talib Qweli, Mos Def, and Common too preachy?

I mean you never hear about these guys in people's top 10 lists, but imo they are three of the best MC's in the game.

None of them have or will ever go plat. (iirc)

None of them get much ink or recognition?

Is it because they are too preachy?

Because people want to hear ignorance?

Because they don't cater to a younger crowd?

Weigh in if you will.
Go Getter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 08:17 AM   #2
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

pete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Are rappers like Talib Qweli, Mos Def, and Common too preachy?

Their music requires a bit of attention. They all have a message they're trying to articulate and that means you have to actually listen to the music. Whether that's the reason they aren't selling millions of albums I don't know.

I don't believe Common is on the same level as the other two, but Talib and Mos certainly should be more popular than they are. Common hasn't been relevant in 15 years and never will be again.

Party music is really popular now. It's a lot less lyrics and a lot more gimmick/beat/melody than it is the whole package.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 09:16 AM   #3
Go Getter
Wild 100's

Go Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
Their music requires a bit of attention. They all have a message they're trying to articulate and that means you have to actually listen to the music. Whether that's the reason they aren't selling millions of albums I don't know.

I don't believe Common is on the same level as the other two, but Talib and Mos certainly should be more popular than they are. Common hasn't been relevant in 15 years and never will be again.

Party music is really popular now. It's a lot less lyrics and a lot more gimmick/beat/melody than it is the whole package.

I disagree. Comm is definitely on their level. He's Talib's favorite rapper. Yet, lol as much as I like his material his flavor is an acquired taste. He's probably behind Twista and Kanye by Chicago listeners so I won't argue you down about his status. For the record though he has more hits than each individually (mos and Talib).

Rank them. (Please)

SIDEBAR: I met Blackstar at the after party to the best show I've ever been to. A free Rakim concert at U of Cincinnati with Blackstar opening, rocking their new shit before the album dropped. I remember seeing Danny Fortson and thinking he must have killed his mother in labor.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:31 AM   #4
Whiteness
Banned

Whiteness has no real reputation yet.

Can I put it in her mouth?
Whiteness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 11:54 AM   #5
wTFaMonkey
RP 4 lyfe

wTFaMonkey is considered somewhat coolwTFaMonkey is considered somewhat coolwTFaMonkey is considered somewhat cool

balckstar was one of the greatest hip hop albums ever.
wTFaMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 11:56 AM   #6
Go Getter
Wild 100's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteness
Can I put it in her mouth?
You must have mistaken this for the Akinelye thread sir, honest mistake.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:08 PM   #7
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterL.Kizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterL.Kizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterL.Kizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterL.Kizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterL.Kizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterL.Kizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterL.Kizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wTFaMonkey
balckstar was one of the greatest hip hop albums ever.
Was?
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 12:08 PM   #8
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

pete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Getter
I disagree. Comm is definitely on their level. He's Talib's favorite rapper. Yet, lol as much as I like his material his flavor is an acquired taste. He's probably behind Twista and Kanye by Chicago listeners so I won't argue you down about his status. For the record though he has more hits than each individually (mos and Talib).

Rank them. (Please)

SIDEBAR: I met Blackstar at the after party to the best show I've ever been to. A free Rakim concert at U of Cincinnati with Blackstar opening, rocking their new shit before the album dropped. I remember seeing Danny Fortson and thinking he must have killed his mother in labor.

To be fair I never liked Common so maybe let's just end that discussion right there.

Personally I think Mos is a top five active MC right now, Talib is maybe a little too political lately for my tastes but at worst he's top 10. People mistake commercial success for talent, and that's why you don't see some of these guys make someone's top 10. Also, It's not like Talib and Mos are churning out mixtapes and albums several times a year, you know? At one end you'd love for them to be more popular and maybe release more stuff, at the other, if you're a real fan, you want them to take their time and release quality material rather than 6 good tracks and 14 fillers which is what 90% of artists do today.

I may not like Kanye, but I respect how he approaches the game. Someone said he recorded 50+ tracks for his latest project and selected a handful to actually release. To me, that's someone who has their legacy in the back of their head. Not to mention, the guy is a genius lyrically and musically.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:50 PM   #9
RandyOrton
OKC

RandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Mos Def speaks the truth.
RandyOrton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 01:17 PM   #10
Go Getter
Wild 100's

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
To be fair I never liked Common so maybe let's just end that discussion right there.

Personally I think Mos is a top five active MC right now, Talib is maybe a little too political lately for my tastes but at worst he's top 10. People mistake commercial success for talent, and that's why you don't see some of these guys make someone's top 10. Also, It's not like Talib and Mos are churning out mixtapes and albums several times a year, you know? At one end you'd love for them to be more popular and maybe release more stuff, at the other, if you're a real fan, you want them to take their time and release quality material rather than 6 good tracks and 14 fillers which is what 90% of artists do today.

I may not like Kanye, but I respect how he approaches the game. Someone said he recorded 50+ tracks for his latest project and selected a handful to actually release. To me, that's someone who has their legacy in the back of their head. Not to mention, the guy is a genius lyrically and musically.

I think Kanye is a musical genius with a great ear. I think he's a trendsetter and pretty sharp but I don't think his lyrics are all that special and I know Rhymefest and others help him write.
Old 12-18-2010, 01:51 PM   #11
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Shows how much I know about Kanye 'cause I didn't know he had ghost-writers.
Old 12-18-2010, 01:55 PM   #12
DC's Finest
My Shit Don't Stank.

DC's Finest has decent reputationDC's Finest has decent reputation

I'd put Common ahead of both of them. He's pretty popular, and if he didn't have such a awful album in UMC I'd say he's top 10.
DC's Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 01:59 PM   #13
LJJ
Extra Cheese

LJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I love Mos Def, but the dude dropped two legendary records in one year and then sort of retired.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 02:05 PM   #14
PHX_Phan
Local High School Star

PHX_Phan is considered somewhat coolPHX_Phan is considered somewhat coolPHX_Phan is considered somewhat cool

Subject matter and image have a lot to do with it. Guys who push a positive message in their music and have deeper lyrics don't get the type of recognition that they should. It also has a lot to do with marketing formula. Common's style of music isn't quickly and easily produced and doesn't fit the typical flavor-of-the-week style that sells big. As it was already stated, his music is more of an acquired taste, and when it comes to selling you need something that hits it off immediately with listeners.

In general, songs that are easier to absorb in a two-three minute radio frame will garner the most sales. All the guys you named are artists that usually require a few listens before you truly appreciate their music.
PHX_Phan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 07:03 PM   #15
knobs
Decent playground baller

knobs is a pretty well-respected posterknobs is a pretty well-respected posterknobs is a pretty well-respected poster

talib's overrated to me. his voice and flow are grating and irritating, even if the lyrics he's spitting are some of the most carefully crafted in the game. every once in a while he brings a really tight steady flow (example - dope remix), but the vast majority of the time, he's all over the place trying to cram syllables where they don't belong. it's frustrating and takes away from that fantastic lyricism.

prime mos is definitely top five all time in my mind. he packs everything you could possibly ask for in an mc into a perfect package, and as long as he stays as far away from politically oriented variety shows as possible, he can do very little wrong. well, that's all probably a little inflated. 'the ecstatic' left a little to be desired, especially production wise, but it's a lot to ask for a reprisal of something as brilliant as 'bobs' - and it definitely had some top notch tracks. even the fillers were worthy of attention. oh, and his acting is going places. well, not really, but his role in 'be kind, rewind' was adorable.

i haven't listened to common in a really long time. his voice isn't exactly an attention grab, far from guys like biggie or bdk or eminem. and some of his lyrics just leave me with a shrug. but that said, you're right, he probably isn't mentioned as often as he should. he's evolved as an artist quite a bit, that's for sure.
knobs is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: