Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-18-2010, 06:07 PM   #1
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Nerd Culture?

So it is my belief that "Nerd culture" has permeated pop culture. I was thinking about this the other day.

I don't think being a nerd is looked down upon anymore since almost everyone has nerd qualities and in fact I believe that we have reached a point where those who do not indulge in "nerdy" activities are considered the outcasts.

Thoughts?
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 06:10 PM   #2
rezznor
Nosetradamus

rezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Nerd Culture?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP
So it is my belief that "Nerd culture" has permeated pop culture. I was thinking about this the other day.

I don't think being a nerd is looked down upon anymore since almost everyone has nerd qualities and in fact I believe that we have reached a point where those who do not indulge in "nerdy" activities are considered the outcasts.

Thoughts?
the nerds of yesterday have become the drivers of what is "cool" and pop culture of today . Steve Jobs, Joss Wedon, JJ. Abrams, etc etc its no longer uncool to be a geek. just look at what san diego comic com has turned into
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 07:42 PM   #3
Captain Kirk
Beat the world...

Captain Kirk has an incredible reputation hereCaptain Kirk has an incredible reputation hereCaptain Kirk has an incredible reputation hereCaptain Kirk has an incredible reputation hereCaptain Kirk has an incredible reputation hereCaptain Kirk has an incredible reputation hereCaptain Kirk has an incredible reputation here

Yeah I don't like it. Everyone is an expert now. And everyone has to like some obscure band and think final fantasy 7 is the greatest game ever. I swear if people start playing Magic The Gathering again I'm gonna purchase a rifle.
Captain Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 08:06 PM   #4
kaiteng
CONGRATS MAN XD

kaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Kirk
Yeah I don't like it. Everyone is an expert now. And everyone has to like some obscure band and think final fantasy 7 is the greatest game ever. I swear if people start playing Magic The Gathering again I'm gonna purchase a rifle.
I'm playing. Shoot me.
kaiteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 08:15 PM   #5
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezznor
the nerds of yesterday have become the drivers of what is "cool" and pop culture of today . Steve Jobs, Joss Wedon, JJ. Abrams, etc etc its no longer uncool to be a geek. just look at what san diego comic com has turned into

And even in media culture. You see references from these writers who drive the industry that are things that nnot too long ago would have been something only on part of the population would have gotten.

Almost everyone is at least a casual gamer now. Comic books are mainstream source material, sci-fi the same. It's just kinda crazy.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 08:48 PM   #6
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

RaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 09:10 PM   #7
Captain Kirk
Beat the world...

Captain Kirk has an incredible reputation hereCaptain Kirk has an incredible reputation hereCaptain Kirk has an incredible reputation hereCaptain Kirk has an incredible reputation hereCaptain Kirk has an incredible reputation hereCaptain Kirk has an incredible reputation hereCaptain Kirk has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP
And even in media culture. You see references from these writers who drive the industry that are things that nnot too long ago would have been something only on part of the population would have gotten.

Almost everyone is at least a casual gamer now. Comic books are mainstream source material, sci-fi the same. It's just kinda crazy.

For some reason I don't like this. Grown men and women getting all excited about a video game in which they plan to invest countless hours into...as adults. That just seems off to me. Because as I get older I want to play games less and explore others things, not continue my childhood well into my 30s.
Captain Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 09:12 PM   #8
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

And Michael Cera is cashing in on it.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 09:14 PM   #9
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation here

Do you mean a nerd as in looking like one or actually being a "have yo face in the books" nerd?
L.Kizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 09:55 PM   #10
Kobe8
Banned

Kobe8 is starting to rub some people the wrong wayKobe8 is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Kirk

That sentence cracked me up.. lol
Kobe8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 10:00 PM   #11
Waking_Life
El Fuego Del Saber

Waking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Acceptance of nerd qualities is predominantly due to the internet.
Waking_Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 10:17 PM   #12
StroShow4
Certified ISHiot.

StroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I'm a major NBA nerd, and I don't think anyone outside of the internet thinks it's cool.
StroShow4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 10:20 PM   #13
CMsam
Banned

CMsam is starting to rub some people the wrong wayCMsam is starting to rub some people the wrong way

"Nerd" fashion is en vogue right now, as is being intellectual, but being a TRUE nerd, i.e. being physically uncoordinated, and awkward with wimmenz, walking and talking like Urkel etc. is still not cool, if we are using the standard barometer of cool as being attractive to the wimmenz.
CMsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 10:20 PM   #14
vapid
Paranoid Android

vapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation here

Nerd culture has been popular for a while now.
vapid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 10:21 PM   #15
Waking_Life
El Fuego Del Saber

Waking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by StroShow4
I'm a major NBA nerd, and I don't think anyone outside of the internet thinks it's cool.
I still cant believe your a young white boy.
Waking_Life is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: