Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 12-20-2010, 04:32 PM   #16
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Default Re: "Romo is arguably the second most important player in the NFL"

Heres a question - how can Brady be at or near the top of the list when we witnessed first hand what his backup could do for an entire season.

I believe they went 11-5 without Brady with a guy who never started a game since high school or something like that.

They went 10-6 when they got Brady back.

Who's his backup now? Brain Hoyer? It's not like Hoyer is any more or less known than Casell was in '08.

I find it hard to believe that Painter could come in and lead us to 11 wins if Manning went down. Though I guess everyone said the same thing when Brady went down - that Casell couldn't do it. So who knows really.

Maybe it means quarterbacks aren't as important as everyone thinks. Or maybe Brady isn't as valuable as everyone thinks. Or maybe Bill is just going to coach the hell out of whoever he has and win games.

Something to think about.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:41 PM   #17
-playmaker-
-retired ISH HOFer-

yeah, it is really impossible to make an "importance" list without knowing the backup situations...

hell there are probably a couple backups in the league right now that are better than the starters...like Brady was to Bledsoe...or like ROMO was to Bledsoe even
-playmaker- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:26 PM   #18
Real Men Wear Green
Please clap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine
Heres a question - how can Brady be at or near the top of the list when we witnessed first hand what his backup could do for an entire season.

I believe they went 11-5 without Brady with a guy who never started a game since high school or something like that.

They went 10-6 when they got Brady back.

Who's his backup now? Brain Hoyer? It's not like Hoyer is any more or less known than Casell was in '08.

I find it hard to believe that Painter could come in and lead us to 11 wins if Manning went down. Though I guess everyone said the same thing when Brady went down - that Casell couldn't do it. So who knows really.

Maybe it means quarterbacks aren't as important as everyone thinks. Or maybe Brady isn't as valuable as everyone thinks. Or maybe Bill is just going to coach the hell out of whoever he has and win games.

Something to think about.
MVP, deal with it.

Seeing as Manning can't even lead Indy to 11 wins right now what his backup may do in comparison to Cassel taking the Pats to FIVE less wins (you conveniently forgot that the season before Brady lead the Pats to 16 wins) doesn't matter. If we're going to say that a third (5 is between a third and a fourth of 16) is a fair drop-off, then we can aimlessly speculate about whether or not the Colts' second guy could lead them to 5-7 wins.

Good luck with the AFC South, playoffs wouldn't be the same without a late-game Manning choke job.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:30 PM   #19
KeylessEntry
I'm on the moon

I dont see why people think that the fact that Cassel went 11-5 with the Pats in 08 takes away from Bradys importance to the teams success in 07. Brady smashed basically every record in the books with that team, one of the greatest offensive seasons of all time, and then the next year when he gets injured the team is only above average.

Last edited by KeylessEntry : 12-20-2010 at 05:34 PM.
KeylessEntry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:47 PM   #20
Real Men Wear Green
Please clap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeylessEntry
I dont see why people think that the fact that Cassel went 11-5 with the Pats in 08 takes away from Bradys importance to the teams success in 07. Brady smashed basically every record in the books with that team, one of the greatest offensive seasons of all time, and then the next year when he gets injured the team is only above average.
It's not "people," just "person." No one other than Carbine is saying this crap. Don't know why he bothers, even if he could somehow turn the entire football world against Brady Manning still has no shot at MVP. It'd just go to Vick.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:59 PM   #21
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

If Manning got hurt Curtis Painter couldn't lead this MASH unit to one win, let alone five. And Cassel's got a 96 rating and 24/5. He's pretty good.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:09 PM   #22
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

It's illogical to think that the '07 success of the Pats would've continued into '08. Come on now, they're not even my team and I could tell without question that the older guys (Bruschi, Harrison, Thomas, Vrabel, etc) were basicaly on their way out in the '07 playoffs. They were done at that point. They were washed up in '08 and the younger guys stepped in for them.

Offensively they had injuries to the right side of the line for much of the year, Sammy Morris was getting the majority of touches at running back compared to Maroney the year before. Stallworth was gone.

It's just silly to think they would've carried ove the success of '07 into '08 when the key parts were way past due in '08, and you had injures in '08 compared to virtually none in '07...and you lost your second leading "big play" reciever in Stallworth and didn't replace him.

No offense to Bruschi and Harrison and Adalius Thomas, but they should've retired after '07. They had nothing left to give.

Bruschi was barely on the field much in '08...same with Harrison who only played 6 games....the new guys were taking over and playing on defense. The '08 and '09 teams have much more in common than the '07 and '08 teams as far as players on the field playing goes.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:20 PM   #23
Real Men Wear Green
Please clap.

MVP. Deal with it.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:29 PM   #24
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

As long as it's understood that the success of the '07 Patriots wasn't indicitive of the type of success the team was headed for in '08 then we're straight.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:32 PM   #25
Real Men Wear Green
Please clap.

Then I guess you aren't straight. For the record, I have no problem with that whatsoever.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:38 PM   #26
ballinhun8
Bulls | Bears | W. Sox

Quote:
It's illogical to think that the '07 success of the Pats would've continued into '08. Come on now, they're not even my team and I could tell without question that the older guys (Bruschi, Harrison, Thomas, Vrabel, etc) were basicaly on their way out in the '07 playoffs. They were done at that point. They were washed up in '08 and the younger guys stepped in for them.

Offensively they had injuries to the right side of the line for much of the year, Sammy Morris was getting the majority of touches at running back compared to Maroney the year before. Stallworth was gone.

It's just silly to think they would've carried ove the success of '07 into '08 when the key parts were way past due in '08, and you had injures in '08 compared to virtually none in '07...and you lost your second leading "big play" reciever in Stallworth and didn't replace him.

No offense to Bruschi and Harrison and Adalius Thomas, but they should've retired after '07. They had nothing left to give.

Bruschi was barely on the field much in '08...same with Harrison who only played 6 games....the new guys were taking over and playing on defense. The '08 and '09 teams have much more in common than the '07 and '08 teams as far as players on the field playing goes.

This is correct. There's no way that team comes close to duplicating the same success as the 07 squad. But I wouldn't underestimate Brady's importance to the squad. I just believe Belichick is that great of a coach. Watching his success first hand has made me believe he's the closest to Lombardi this league will ever see for a while.
ballinhun8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:52 PM   #27
Real Men Wear Green
Please clap.

16-0 almost never happens so duplicating is unlikely. But prime Moss and prime Brady, with Belicheck coaching, is a dynamite combination. 13-15 wins would be in reach. Cassel threw 23 (or something like that) TDs and they won 11 games. How much better is the record getting 30-40 from Brady? Plus his superior leadership, the extra yardage, the fact that he's a flat-out much better QB than Cassel? The fact that Cassel took a group that Brady was phenomenal with and did ok proves absolutely nothing bad about Brady.

And no, the "loss" of Stallworth's 3 TDs did not matter.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:03 PM   #28
KeylessEntry
I'm on the moon

Quote:

Yeah, except those are virtually all DEFENSIVE players who had little to do with the mountain of OFFENSIVE records that Brady and the offense broke in 07. Yeah obviously the defense was better in 07, but thats not the reason Brady threw twice as many TDs as Cassel with the same receiving core.

maroney and stallworth... huge losses

Last edited by KeylessEntry : 12-20-2010 at 07:34 PM.
KeylessEntry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:01 PM   #29
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

I always wondered what Brady would be like behind a shitty line. I think they've been top 10 in protecting against the sack every year of his career and top 3-5 in about half of them. Anybody see that protection he got on the TD pass right after the Connolly run last night? He had a steak dinner before he threw it.
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:22 PM   #30
PHX_Phan
Local High School Star

Not sure about this year, but last year definitely had to be Kurt Warner.
PHX_Phan is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: