Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-21-2010, 08:53 PM   #1
jaydacris
Rose

jaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Sugar Shane Mosley vs Manny Pacquiao. May 7th in Las Vegas

Well it seems to be official now

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...ory?id=5944532
Quote:
Manny Pacquiao to face Shane Mosley
By Dan Rafael

Pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao, unable to even get a response from Floyd Mayweather Jr. gauging his interest in a fight, instead will defend his welterweight belt against former champion Shane Mosley on May 7 in a pay-per-view fight at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

"We came to a meeting of the minds," Top Rank promoter Bob Arum told ESPN.com on Tuesday night after a final meeting with Mosley and his adviser, James Prince, at the Top Rank offices in Las Vegas. "[Top Rank matchmaker] Bruce Trample says it's a very difficult fight. I believe it will be an exciting fight. Shane knows how to fight and how to deal with the speed. Manny is in for a hellacious fight. I really believe styles make fights."

Arum said the fight will take place at the welterweight limit of 147 pounds.

The deal is not unexpected. For weeks, Arum has been laying the groundwork for the match, an unpopular one with hardcore fight fans because many consider the 39-year-old Mosley (46-6-1, 39 KOs) to be past his prime.

He was routed by Mayweather in May and fought to a desultory draw with Sergio Mora in a junior middleweight fight in September.

But he got the fight over lightweight champion Juan Manuel Marquez and welterweight titlist Andre Berto. Arum had solicited term sheets from all three before going to the Philippines last week to attend Pacquiao's 32nd birthday party and to go over the particulars for all three potential opponents.

Arum said Pacquiao (52-3-23, 38 KOs) settled on Mosley during a meeting last week and that he wrapped things up with Mosley on Tuesday.

"I think it's a good fight. I feel that Shane is one of the toughest guys left out there right now," said Freddie Roach, Pacquiao's trainer. "He didn't get up for 'The Contender' guy [Mora], but he will get up for Manny Pacquiao. It's a difficult fight because Shane has speed and power. He's getting a little older, which is in our favor, but I expect Shane to be at his best because he's wanted this fight for a long time. I will get Pacquiao well prepared for this one."

Dan Rafael covers boxing for ESPN.com.

Quote:
@SugarShaneM
Shane Mosley
Well Twitter land it's official me, bob, and jay prince hammered everything out and bob is drafting up papers May 7 Sugar and PAC.....

I really don't see how Shane has a chance...

damn you Floyd... damn you

Last edited by jaydacris : 12-21-2010 at 09:05 PM.
jaydacris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:15 PM   #2
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

DonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Sugar Shane Mosley vs Manny Pacquiao. May 7th in Las Vegas

Hope Shane's got the # for a great plastic surgeon.

Fight's about 6 years too late. Just what the sport needs, another Ali-Holmes
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:25 PM   #3
jaydacris
Rose

jaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

mosley looked so bleh... vs mora

on the other hand JMM comes off a stellar display of technical boxing, and gets left out to dry
i thought the may 7th date would have worked nicely for promoting as well (pretty much on the cinco de mayo weekend)

oh well

although i read somewhere roach is already looking past the fight with mosley, and says he wants a pac-jmm III,
jaydacris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:54 PM   #4
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

DonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydacris
mosley looked so bleh... vs mora

on the other hand JMM comes off a stellar display of technical boxing, and gets left out to dry
i thought the may 7th date would have worked nicely for promoting as well (pretty much on the cinco de mayo weekend)

oh well

although i read somewhere roach is already looking past the fight with mosley, and says he wants a pac-jmm III,

I guarantee you if JMM left Golden Boy the way Shane did, we'd be getting set for that fight on Cinco De Mayo weekend. Shane was too old and not enough of a draw according to Arum just a few months ago after the Mora fight, but as soon as he became a 'free agent' all of a sudden he's the biggest money fight out there for Manny.

Personally, from a competitive standpoint, I think Berto would've been the best choice but it's the shortest money by far and Andre's in DiBella's stable, so he never had a shot. I don't think a Pacquiao-Marquez fight would last more than 6 rounds at this stage in their respective careers IMO, but the buildup would be huge.
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:10 PM   #5
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Jackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

So, is this a fight to compare how both Mayweather and Manny did against Mosley and then say _______ is better?
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 02:09 AM   #6
raiderfan19
Shazam!

raiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackass18
So, is this a fight to compare how both Mayweather and Manny did against Mosley and then say _______ is better?
This is a fight that Manny and his team can say "once again this shows we fight the best competition in the world, and Manny isn't afraid to face anyone" but in reality never has any real chance at being a competitive fight. Just like every other fight Manny has had above lightweight.
raiderfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 02:18 AM   #7
Lebron23
Most Valuable Player

Lebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Bob Arum needs to retire from boxing. I rather see Manny Pacquiao fight Andre Berto next year. Berto is younger than Shane Mosley, and he's going to give Pacquiao a tougher fight. Pacquiao would still beat Berto in the later rounds.

I am a huge fan of Manny Pacquiao, but I don't want to see him fight an old, washed up, and past his prime boxer.

Team Pacquiao should wait for the winner of the Timothy Bradley and Devon Alexander fight.

Pac vs. Berto, Timothy Bradley and Devon Alexander, or even againts Saul Alvarez or Amir Khan >>>> Mosley fight.
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 02:23 AM   #8
Premeditated
Banned

Premeditated has one of the lowest reputations on this boardPremeditated has one of the lowest reputations on this boardPremeditated has one of the lowest reputations on this boardPremeditated has one of the lowest reputations on this boardPremeditated has one of the lowest reputations on this boardPremeditated has one of the lowest reputations on this boardPremeditated has one of the lowest reputations on this boardPremeditated has one of the lowest reputations on this boardPremeditated has one of the lowest reputations on this boardPremeditated has one of the lowest reputations on this board

God, i wish Mosley could knock out this banana midget for us one time.
Premeditated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 02:29 AM   #9
Stuckey
ifirtworld

Stuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premeditated

lol would neg but funny
Stuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 02:36 AM   #10
Reef
College star

Reef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I lost a lot of respect for Pac/Roach taking this fight. It was only after Floyd destroyed Shane that Roach wanted a piece of Shane. Before, Roach told Shane he'd only let him fight Manny if it was at 142-143 which is ridiculous.

Pac/Roach only seem to fight guys who've lost recently like Margarito (to Mosley), Cotto (to Margs), Hatton (to Floyd), Oscar (to Floyd) and now Mosley (to Floyd). It never seems to be anyone on the rise. I don't blame Manny for this. I think he'll fight whoever they put in front of him. I think it's more because of Roach and Arum.

This fight does nothing for Manny's legacy. Manny should be fighting Berto or Marquez.

Last edited by Reef : 12-22-2010 at 02:42 AM.
Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 02:53 AM   #11
oh the horror
7-time NBA All-Star

oh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premeditated

Pac is gonna beat that ass though. I dont even see why this fight is on.
oh the horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 02:54 AM   #12
Lebron23
Most Valuable Player

Lebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef
I lost a lot of respect for Pac/Roach taking this fight. It was only after Floyd destroyed Shane that Roach wanted a piece of Shane. Before, Roach told Shane he'd only let him fight Manny if it was at 142-143 which is ridiculous.

Pac/Roach only seem to fight guys who've lost recently like Margarito (to Mosley), Cotto (to Margs), Hatton (to Floyd), Oscar (to Floyd) and now Mosley (to Floyd). It never seems to be anyone on the rise. I don't blame Manny for this. I think he'll fight whoever they put in front of him. I think it's more because of Roach and Arum.

This fight does nothing for Manny's legacy. Manny should be fighting Berto or Marquez.

Pacquiao wants to fight Andre Berto, but Bob Arum wanted him to fight Shane Mosley because Shane Mosley Promotions will probably be co-promoting the fight.

Arum is one greedy son of a B1tch.
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 02:57 AM   #13
raiderfan19
Shazam!

raiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebron23
Bob Arum needs to retire from boxing. I rather see Manny Pacquiao fight Andre Berto next year. Berto is younger than Shane Mosley, and he's going to give Pacquiao a tougher fight. Pacquiao would still beat Berto in the later rounds.

I am a huge fan of Manny Pacquiao, but I don't want to see him fight an old, washed up, and past his prime boxer.

Team Pacquiao should wait for the winner of the Timothy Bradley and Devon Alexander fight.

Pac vs. Berto, Timothy Bradley and Devon Alexander, or even againts Saul Alvarez or Amir Khan >>>> Mosley fight.
I have clearly been on the Floyd side of the Floyd/Pac arguments(I still think floyd wins that fight if/when it happens) but I think its important to point out that this fight likely happens no matter who is promoting pac. Its the combination of the best money fight with the least chance of negatively effecting the potential REALLY big money fight in the future with floyd. Lets be honest, Pac is a HUGE favorite over anyone hed legitamely face other than floyd and Sergio Martinez(who id argue doesn't fit in the legit contenders part) and every other fight pac could take has warts so it makes sense for Pac to take the fight that makes the most money. If he fought Berto, Berto has never fought anyone and has NO defense(which would lead to him getting destroyed) at the same time he does have ridiculously fast hands and power which make him a threat to catch Pac with a couple of lucky shots and end any chance at a floyd fight (or at least kill pacs leverage). Marquez is a fight everyones already seen, a fighter that got dominated in his only appearance above lw and dominated by floyd(last two things in the same fight). That said, hes still the kind of fighter that gives pac problems and it would be extremely damaging for pac if this fight turned into a repeat of the first two so that Pac fans had to admit that its the string of taylor made fighters that have made him look so good as much as any improvements he might have made. With those things all said why wouldn't pac have made the biggest money fight with a HOFer he can put on his resume and make the most money with.
raiderfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 03:37 AM   #14
New York Knicks
Banned

New York Knicks has a very bad reputationNew York Knicks has a very bad reputationNew York Knicks has a very bad reputationNew York Knicks has a very bad reputationNew York Knicks has a very bad reputation

It's all about money. Arum chases whoever the biggest draw is and that's Mosley right now (since Mayweather is on "vacation")
New York Knicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 03:49 AM   #15
Reef
College star

Reef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York Knicks
It's all about money. Arum chases whoever the biggest draw is and that's Mosley right now (since Mayweather is on "vacation")

Then how did Manny fight Clottey? He has no fan base.
Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: