Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-23-2010, 02:28 PM   #16
ShaqAttack3234
7-time NBA All-Star

ShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: How to gain weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by step_back
I'm quite lucky, I have broad shoulders, chest and back but my waist is only 32.5 inches. If I'm in good shape I can get down to 31 inches and have a 40/42 inch chest

But yeah I have been lazy as hell lately and looking a bit plump.

My waist is only about 25 1/2 inches, maybe 26 inches and my chest is like 31. I've tried eating 4000 calories a day, working out ect., but I've never been able to gain more than 3-4 pounds since I've tried it and then I go back down. If I work out, I just get leaner, even if I eat a lot, I burn off the calories very quickly. I eat several protein bars daily as well.
ShaqAttack3234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:35 PM   #17
step_back
College superstar

step_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
My waist is only about 25 1/2 inches, maybe 26 inches and my chest is like 31. I've tried eating 4000 calories a day, working out ect., but I've never been able to gain more than 3-4 pounds since I've tried it and then I go back down. If I work out, I just get leaner, even if I eat a lot, I burn off the calories very quickly. I eat several protein bars daily as well.

Yeah my old housemate was the same, could eat a truck load of food and nothing would happen ( fast metabolism due to genetic make up). That being said there are many advantages you have, A naturally low body fat % means you will look ripped within a matter of weeks. You will never get really fat. Your a pure natural endurance athlete, you could be an absolute monster at marathon running if you wanted to be.
step_back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:38 PM   #18
Reef
College star

Reef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draz
I'll prefer Peanut butter. How about a glass of Milk with Peanut butter 2-3 times a day along with a Banana(Once a day). I need a DAILY eating plan please help with that.

Breakfest(9:00am): Peanut butter + Bread (Possibly Whole Grain) + Milk
Lunch(11:00am): Protein Bar + Protein Shake
3:00pm: Yogurt + Banana + Orange Juice
6:00pm: Dinner
9:00pm: Peanut Butter + Bread + Milk

How does that sound? Does anyone know how many calories I will get out of that? I need to know soon because I need to spend money purchasing these asap. Thanks a lot for everyone who helped, I will definitely rep you.

That doesn't sound good. Just bread and PB, milk, bananas and OJ? Where's the chicken, eggs, beef, tuna, fruits, veggies? I wasn't suggesting that shake replace good nutrition. It is a supplement to your normal diet.

Try something like this:

Meal 1: 2-3 eggs, oatmeal with mixed berries, banana, maybe some bacon
Meal 2: tuna or chicken salad, or some grilled meat + steamed veggies + milk
Workout
Meal 3 Post-workout: Whey isolate + banana + BCAA's (branch-chained amino acids)
Meal 4: Rice or Pasta with choice of meat + salad or steamed veggies
Meal 5: Weight gainer shake

Last edited by Reef : 12-23-2010 at 02:41 PM.
Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:42 PM   #19
step_back
College superstar

step_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef
That doesn't sound good. Just bread and PB, milk, bananas and OJ? Where's the chicken, eggs, beef, tuna, fruits, veggies? I wasn't suggesting that shake replace good nutrition. It is a supplement to your normal diet.

Try something like this:

Workout
Meal 3 Post-workout: Whey isolate + banana + BCAA's (branch-chained amino acids)

That's much more like it!
Old 12-23-2010, 02:42 PM   #20
ShaqAttack3234
7-time NBA All-Star

ShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Yeah my old housemate was the same, could eat a truck load of food and nothing would happen ( fast metabolism due to genetic make up). That being said there are many advantages you have, A naturally low body fat % means you will look ripped within a matter of weeks. You will never get really fat. Your a pure natural endurance athlete, you could be an absolute monster at marathon running if you wanted to be.

Yeah, I'm already kind of shredded, if I move my arms a little I have very visible veins throughout them. Oddly, when I had blood drawn, it took 2 times for them to do it because they said I didn't have enough fat around the vein, I had never heard that before, I would've thought it would make it easier, but they said it was common with athletes. The disadvantage is that my ribs are very visible which can get annoying because I get a lot of comments on that.
ShaqAttack3234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:46 PM   #21
Draz
Like a Baoss.

Draz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
You won't build muscle without working out PERIOD!

15-45mins after your workout is your window of oppertunity, your body will absorb whey protein the fastest.

Get a membership at your local GNC, you can then get advice on what one best suits your needs and also a little discount if your a member.

Really does depend on how much you use, if you think your going to use a lot go for the largest quantity possible (biggest tub) as this will be the cheapest option per serving.

Add lots of complex carbs (brown), Rice, pasta are great! They also contain lots of good calories.

Sounds real good. What's your daily eating foods/calories? See the thing is, I'm tall for my age I'm 18 at 5'9 & a half, I need to put on pounds I don't mind if I don't gain much muscle, it doesn't look as good to look tall & skinny, which is why I rather anything that this brings to me during the cycle.

I don't mind drinking anything that taste like shit, reminds me of shit, or looks like shit, as long as it'll do me any good & fast, efficiently, I will drink it like its breakfast dinner & lunch haha.

Draz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:49 PM   #22
Draz
Like a Baoss.

Draz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

Bro. That's how I am & trust me it gets ANNOYING. I'm skinny but at age 18 you bring me a freaking whole cow, I will eat that mother fxcxer out & not gain one pound.

Old 12-23-2010, 02:53 PM   #23
Draz
Like a Baoss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef

Try something like this:

Workout

That sounds actually good as hell. To be honest that's really for committed people who are really interested into gaining & working on muscle. Steaming veggies? I might burn my house down lol. I need something fast, simple, easy to make. I can adjust it by adding Meats & a Salad all the extra shit like grilled meat & being Chef - Boy - or - D is to complicated lol.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:55 PM   #24
Reef
College star

Reef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Bro. That's how I am & trust me it gets ANNOYING. I'm skinny but at age 18 you bring me a freaking whole cow, I will eat that mother fxcxer out & not gain one pound.

Then you'll have to eat 2 cows. If you're not gaining even if you're eating a lot, you just have to eat more. It's a bi.tch and it gets tiring but you'll get used to it once you're in a routine.

Also a lot of people think they eat a lot but once they actually start to add up the calories of what they have everyday, they're surprised that it's not as much as they thought it would be.

I use a site like fitday.com to keep track of my calories. It's free to sign up. You just select the foods you're eating and the right amount everyday from the lists they have, and it calculates the amount of calories, protein, carbs, fat, etc. that you're consuming. Then based on your goals you can tweak the diet to suit your needs.

Last edited by Reef : 12-23-2010 at 03:01 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:57 PM   #25
Reef
College star

Quote:
That sounds actually good as hell. To be honest that's really for committed people who are really interested into gaining & working on muscle. Steaming veggies? I might burn my house down lol. I need something fast, simple, easy to make. I can adjust it by adding Meats & a Salad all the extra shit like grilled meat & being Chef - Boy - or - D is to complicated lol.

You can have salads or whatever. I just gave some examples. You can modify it however you like, but try to keep it relatively healthy, instead of just PB sandwiches and milk.

Also for snacks, you can have plain yogurt and add in some berries. Don't but the stuff from stores which is full of sugar. Also mixed unsalted nuts are really good. Also for extra calories, just add cheese to whatever you want.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:58 PM   #26
visirale
Local High School Star

visirale has decent reputation

Honestly it sounds like you don't really have much of an idea what you're doing. Read this website again and again. It breaks it all down so it's simple to understand, no matter what your goals are. I reread it every few months just to make sure I'm not getting off track.

I've lost 45 pounds in bodyweight while adding muscle the whole time. When I started I had trouble benching 100, now I'm almost able to rep 225.

http://liamrosen.com/fitness.html

It really isn't rocket science. Many companies are invested into making health seem a lot more complicated than it is so people will pay way too much for supplements when they could really get better results if they just understood nutrition and exercise better.
visirale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 03:04 PM   #27
step_back
College superstar

Quote:
Sounds real good. What's your daily eating foods/calories? See the thing is, I'm tall for my age I'm 18 at 5'9 & a half, I need to put on pounds I don't mind if I don't gain much muscle, it doesn't look as good to look tall & skinny, which is why I rather anything that this brings to me during the cycle.

I don't mind drinking anything that taste like shit, reminds me of shit, or looks like shit, as long as it'll do me any good & fast, efficiently, I will drink it like its breakfast dinner & lunch haha.

At the moment I'm eating candy and drinking booze, I havent done any working out in 6 months which is why im getting a bit plump lol!

Your only 18 which means your likely still growing, once you stop you will most likely fill out a bit.

Eat food, Liquid meals are not meant to be your diet just a supplement or addition to it. Good wholesome food > any pill, powder, shake, liquid.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:08 PM   #28
step_back
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by visirale
Honestly it sounds like you don't really have much of an idea what you're doing. Read this website again and again. It breaks it all down so it's simple to understand, no matter what your goals are. I reread it every few months just to make sure I'm not getting off track.

I've lost 45 pounds in bodyweight while adding muscle the whole time. When I started I had trouble benching 100, now I'm almost able to rep 225.

http://liamrosen.com/fitness.html

It really isn't rocket science. Many companies are invested into making health seem a lot more complicated than it is so people will pay way too much for supplements when they could really get better results if they just understood nutrition and exercise better.

This is awesome advice, I used to have my own Personal training buisness and I made a good living of people having misinformation on this subject ( which I then corrected for a small price)

Learning to cook is absolutely vital. Start with this cook book. Easy to follow recipes and great tasting meals. It is a good starting point.
http://www.amazon.com/Mens-Health-Mu...3134860&sr=8-1
Old 12-23-2010, 03:09 PM   #29
Draz
Like a Baoss.

Thanks for everyones help. You guys honestly did help assist me.
@Reef - I know, I also learned about the eating continously or a significant amount thinking you consumed a lot or more then any other usual person but in reality you dont really go over the daily amount. I seen the Fitday.com site a while back, I'll give it more look into soon. Also thanks for suggesting extra food to consume, the nuts & the cheese sounds like a good addition that I can be able to add.

@Visirale - I'll check into that as well.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:17 PM   #30
Draz
Like a Baoss.

Quote:

At the moment I'm eating candy and drinking booze, I havent done any working out in 6 months which is why im getting a bit plump lol!

Your only 18 which means your likely still growing, once you stop you will most likely fill out a bit.

Eat food, Liquid meals are not meant to be your diet just a supplement or addition to it. Good wholesome food > any pill, powder, shake, liquid.

Such a professional . Haha, & Idk, it seems like I'm still growing. I just really need to add some weight on, I'm underweight & I'm concerned, it stresses me a lot. On top of that, I think stress is why I'm losing weight, that & being lazy, so how can stress make me lose weight then on top of it its stressing me out even more? Lol.

I'm also checking out Pills, Powders & Shakes. Something reasonable. I'm trying to consume something that gives me a reasonable amount of calories & protein per day that can last a good week at around $50-70 as long as I can squeeze it in.

Thanks for all of these feedbacks, I'm going to definitely get into this.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: