Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-24-2010, 09:45 AM   #1
Tarik One
NBA rookie of the year

Tarik One has decent reputationTarik One has decent reputation
Default Best Movie portrayals of real life people

You ever watch a film in which an actor is playing a real person and as the movie progress you start to believe that he/she really is that person? A few movies i've seen recently come to mind.

Al Pacino/Dr Kevorkian - You don't know Jack
Denzel Washington/Malcolm X - Malcolm X
Laurence Fishburne/Ike Turner - What's love got to do with it
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 10:19 AM   #2
FatComputerNerd
Decent college freshman

FatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Best Movie portrayals of real life people

Ben Kingsley as Ghandi

Michael Rooker as Henry in Henry: Portrait of a Serial killer.

Daniel Day-Lewis as William Poole (Bill the Butcher) in Gangs of New York.

Last edited by FatComputerNerd : 12-24-2010 at 10:32 AM.
FatComputerNerd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 10:29 AM   #3
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

pete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Josh Brolin as dubya and Dreyfuss as Cheney in W.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 10:46 AM   #4
knobs
Decent playground baller

knobs is a pretty well-respected posterknobs is a pretty well-respected posterknobs is a pretty well-respected poster

that happens best in really well done tv series, where you're allowed a longer time to get to know the characters. plus there are longer and more relatable character arcs. 'the wire' had plenty of that to go around.

in terms of movies... a few that revolve around one single character spring to mind. seymour hoffman's character in 'synecdoche, new york' was really elaborate and consistent, and the movie took place over some 40-50 years, so you really take the journey.

i just mentioned ellen whatsherface's character in 'requiem' in the other thread. that one definitely had me entrenched. i was heartbroken by the end.

this might not qualify under what you wrote in the op, but the lead in 'bronson' gave a really awesome performance and for such an artsy flick, really gave an air of reality to an otherwise visually and narratively exaggerated movie.

larry gopnik from the coen's 'a serious man' has a similar feel to 'synecdoche's caden. successful guys who just don't understand what the f*ck is going on, and do a brilliant job conveying just how clueless they are to the grand scheme taking place around them. i guess the difference between them and almost everybody else is that they actually realize how little they understand.

joel barrish in 'eternal sunshine' as well. oh, and that wrestler from 'the wrestler', randy the rammel rammelstein.

i feel like i'm just listing my favourite recent movies now. i guess the overlap is in the fact that my favourite movies tend to have really well sketched and relatable characters. another one just sprang to mind - tom ripley played by matt damon. damn that movie got into my head.

oh, and one more...

ammirite?
knobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 01:14 PM   #5
JMT
NBA lottery pick

JMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation here

Jim Carey as Andy Kaufman in "Man On The Moon". Not a Carey fan, but I was a huge Andy fan. The portrayal is uncanny.

I'm betting Borat as Freddie Mercury in the upcoming bio pic will be stellar. He's a shape shifter.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 01:17 PM   #6
Stempel, HERB
Kids at the park dunk on me

Stempel, HERB is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux

What an inspired original opinion you have there peter. Wait a minute... http://207.58.151.151/forum/showpost...0&postcount=17 Creepy.
Stempel, HERB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 01:26 PM   #7
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

pete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Stempel, HERB as starface

Uncanny.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:38 PM   #8
Stempel, HERB
Kids at the park dunk on me

Stempel, HERB is starting to rub some people the wrong way

i do starface better than starface tho
Stempel, HERB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 01:44 PM   #9
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

johndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Beat me to it. What a criminally underrated film that is.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 01:45 PM   #10
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

johndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stempel, HERB
What an inspired original opinion you have there peter. Wait a minute... http://207.58.151.151/forum/showpost...0&postcount=17 Creepy.
After viewing TWBB for a second time I rescind the opinion I put forth in that post. Both DDL and the film itself were well deserving of the accolades it received.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 01:55 PM   #11
CMsam
Banned

CMsam is starting to rub some people the wrong wayCMsam is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Stempel, HERB as starface

Uncanny.

you know, i'll take this back because its POSSIBLE it's not josh. the way he keeps disturbing archives on EVERYTHING any poster has ever said, and also called you "peter" it actually sounds more like jefferson money. and he's the one poster with a life more twisted and full of envy for other people than josh. so it definitely could be him.

Last edited by CMsam : 12-24-2010 at 02:16 PM.
CMsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 02:04 PM   #12
AirTupac
Mitch Kupcake

AirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Denzel Washington as Frank Lucas
AirTupac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 02:06 PM   #13
sunsfan1357
Word.

sunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation here

Christian Bale did a helluva job playing Dicky Eklund, same with Phillip Seymour Hoffman in Capote.
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 02:06 PM   #14
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
Beat me to it. What a criminally underrated film that is.

It's been all over the movie channels lately and I've seen it 2-3 times this month. Brolin is George.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:09 PM   #15
PHX_Phan
Local High School Star

PHX_Phan is a pretty well-respected posterPHX_Phan is a pretty well-respected posterPHX_Phan is a pretty well-respected poster

Johnny Depp as Hunter S. Thompson in Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas.

Edit: He actually played Raoul Duke, but the character is based on Hunter.

Last edited by PHX_Phan : 12-24-2010 at 02:11 PM.
PHX_Phan is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: