Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 11-13-2012, 11:40 PM   #1
blacknapalm
spider 2 y banana

Default F Royce White, Rockets at odds with agreement to help with anxiety over flying

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...3ac_story.html

Quote:
HOUSTON — Houston first-round draft pick Royce White is not with the team and says the Rockets have been “inconsistent” in their agreement to help him cope with his anxiety disorder.

The 6-foot-8 White, the 16th overall pick in last year’s draft, made a deal with the team to travel by bus to some games this season, so he could confront with his fear of flying and obsessive compulsive disorder over the long term. He flew with the team to its season opener in Detroit, then traveled by bus to games at Atlanta and Memphis.

He says in a statement that “perhaps it was not a good idea” to open up about his anxiety, “due to the current situations at hand.” The Rockets released a statement on Tuesday night, saying “Royce is not available now” and that they support him going forward.

damn, really hope they get this figured out..check out some of his tweets too. he kind of went on a rant....
blacknapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:41 PM   #2
RRR3
For threeeeee!!!

Default Re: F Royce White, Rockets at odds with agreement to help with anxiety over flying

As someone who has OCD too, I know how hard it is to face your fears. I hope has someone he can talk to.
RRR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:52 PM   #3
HardwoodLegend
The Magical T-Mac

Default Re: F Royce White, Rockets at odds with agreement to help with anxiety over flying

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR3
As someone who has OCD too, I know how hard it is to face your fears. I hope has someone he can talk to.

What T-Mac memorabilia (jerseys, posters, bobbleheads, etc.) do you own/have you ever owned?
HardwoodLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:53 PM   #4
RRR3
For threeeeee!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardwoodLegend
What T-Mac memorabilia (jerseys, posters, bobbleheads, etc.) do you own/have you ever owned?
Holy random batman! Three jerseys, a few basketball cards.
RRR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:53 PM   #5
millwad
Banned

Quote:

Wow, that makes all the bullying you have to stand while posting on ISH even more horrible..
millwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:57 PM   #6
niko
I Run NY.

He's basically found someone to blame rather than face his fears, the rockets. He's going to turn out to be a terrible pick. I get he has problems to work on. He should. I don't get the feeling he is though.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:57 PM   #7
HardwoodLegend
The Magical T-Mac

Quote:
Holy random batman! Three jerseys, a few basketball cards.

LOL I like being random and out-of-the-blue.

I used to have two jerseys.

Which three did you have?
HardwoodLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:59 PM   #8
millwad
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
He's basically found someone to blame rather than face his fears, the rockets. He's going to turn out to be a terrible pick. I get he has problems to work on. He should. I don't get the feeling he is though.

Yeah, he's not exactly making it better for himself a la posting silly stuff on twitter and doing stuff like this;

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=229234
millwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:01 AM   #9
niko
I Run NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by millwad
Yeah, he's not exactly making it better for himself a la posting silly stuff on twitter and doing stuff like this;

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=229234
To me if he said "im taking this year off to get over what i need to do" i would get that. But the first thing he said was "im going to bus all the time when i need to". That's no solution, that's avoidance. It's like a drug addict, they find people to blame they can't get treatment because they don't want to get better. Im sure he wants to get better, but it would be hard and he is (not conciously) avoiding it. By fighting with the Rockets.

Total waste of a pick.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:19 AM   #10
poido123
Cameron Bairstow!!

Quote:
To me if he said "im taking this year off to get over what i need to do" i would get that. But the first thing he said was "im going to bus all the time when i need to". That's no solution, that's avoidance. It's like a drug addict, they find people to blame they can't get treatment because they don't want to get better. Im sure he wants to get better, but it would be hard and he is (not conciously) avoiding it. By fighting with the Rockets.

Total waste of a pick.

I agree he is avoiding facing his fears etc, but if the Rockets play their cards right and give him what he needs to get his confidence up etc, they will reap the rewards. He is still very young and won't be a waste of a pick if they do what they can to accomodate him.

Just a question, has life traveled pretty smoothly for you? Do you or have you had any disorders of your own...its not a loaded question
poido123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:23 AM   #11
blacknapalm
spider 2 y banana

Quote:

Total waste of a pick.

i sort of remember you saying this in the last royce thread and i mostly disagreed. thought they needed to take baby steps before throwing him in on the 'deep end'.

to me, that isn't the issue now though. if he has truly missed multiple practices, that's a more concerning issue...maybe maturity issues to boot. for a guy who handled so many college games, i don't understand why he would miss practices. airing out his grievances publicly is not a good sign either.

just hope he's genuinely doing what it takes to get better...really liked his game out of college.
blacknapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:34 AM   #12
irondarts

While I feel for his disorder, he is going to be out of the league soon if this continues, and maybe that's the best thing for him, maybe he just doesn't belong in the NBA with his disorder.

I wish him the best of luck, but to me it seems like the Rockets are already tired of this.
irondarts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:36 AM   #13
Phantom_Blue
High school junior varsity star

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknapalm
if he has truly missed multiple practices, that's a more concerning issue...maybe maturity issues to boot. for a guy who handled so many college games, i don't understand why he would miss practices. airing out his grievances publicly is not a good sign either.

More than likely it's still the case of his anxiety, the avoidance and irrational decision making. Alot of people understand what it is on the surface, but they don't realize how bad it can really get, can easily lead to other diseases such as depression, which I hope is not what he's going through right now.

Alot of people suffer from this disease, but alot of people also take meds to deal with it, which I believe Royce is against, increasing the difficulty in dealing with this daily. Compound that with the stresses of the NBA life and the natural unsympathetic nature of his peers and you wonder if he's going to make it through the season.
Phantom_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:37 AM   #14
Rekindled
Pringles Reborn

he needs to go play in a small country where you dont have to fly to travel.

maybe go play in greece
Rekindled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:39 AM   #15
CLTHornets4eva
Original ISH CLTHornet

Quote:
Total waste of a pick.

He was the 16th pick a ton of talent still and we are 2 weeks into the season. Your overreacting.
CLTHornets4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: