Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-28-2010, 04:52 AM   #1
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

Default Court awareness, body positioning and angles

How many of you 'truly' know these things on the basketball court?

I stopped playing ball when I was just truly understanding and learning how to apply them to my game (I stopped playing when I was 22).

And I don't believe most people truly understand these aspects, nor do I believe that 99% of today's NBA players understand this either (including the elite).

I think its a lost artform like the hook shot that we didn't pick up.

I remember getting beat time and time again by older slower guys, and getting d'ed up by older farts. No matter how fast and how quick I was, I wasn't able to get around these farts when I was younger. But it dawned on me that I wasn't paying attention to the math behind basketball. I wasn't paying close attention to the player's angles, their position on the court, the sideline, the rim, none of that.

When I did learn about these things it took some time to recognize them fast enough, after all... we only have a split second to recognize, make a decision and react, most of the time we probably won't be able to do this (on either end of the floor).

For you youngins, I plead you to understand these fundamental concepts. For you more experienced players, please share your wisdom to the young bucks either here on the board or on the court.

I've given a few tips to a kid or two, and they've seen a big difference in their game when they've applied them.

Damn this sounds like a cheap informercial to adopt a child.
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:02 AM   #2
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

Default Re: Court awareness, body positioning and angles

Most people just stand around and ISO these days. I love pick and roll so I set lots of screens. A screen always leads to something better than an ISO. I also pride myself on rebounding, so I definately pay attention to my court postition. Positioning for rebounding is half the battle.

And why would you stop playing ball at 22?

Last edited by bdreason : 12-28-2010 at 05:09 AM.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:06 AM   #3
iamgine

How about sharing it here? I'm always looking for tips on how to make my game efficient. Why did you quit btw? Injury?
iamgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:15 AM   #4
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreason
Most people just stand around and ISO these days. I love pick and roll so I set lots of screens. A screen always leads to something better than an ISO. I also pride myself on rebounding, so I definately pay attention to my court postition. Positioning for rebounding is half the battle.

Agreed on the rebounding part.

I'm 5'6 and I was around 165 when I played, but I always guarded the post players.

Why?

By putting pressure on their knees (or legs) I was able to either push them out or more importantly, push them underneath the board. Most people don't understand simple shit like this.

If I try to outmuscle them with my upper body, they'll obviously beat me since they're bigger and stronger (they'll usually be 6'0 and taller). But their strength it usually nulled when I put all my strength on their lower body. Only time it can backfire is if they're smart enough and shorter stubby strong dudes with thick legs who understand body positioning.

Pushing them under the rim (again.... know where you are) will eliminate them from getting the board 9-10 times. Again... something people don't really do, they spend much of their time battling for position around the rim.

Long shots will more than likely also result in longer rebounds, and even if one doesn't get the rebound, preventing their best rebounder from getting it is just as good.

I also agree on the ISO shit.

I don't know if today's generation know what a screen is or how to properly execute a pick and roll.

The last time I played ball (yearsssss ago), it was my boy and I vs 2 high school players. These dudes were lightning fast, could jump outta the gym, had crazy handles etc.etc.

But we beat them.

How?

Pick and roll... pick and roll.

When they had the ball, we gave them enough space to do all their fancy And 1 shit and positioned ourselves to force them to their weak side with one of us ready to help. Sure they beat us from time to time, but we still won, even tho we shouldn't have.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:20 AM   #5
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgine
How about sharing it here? I'm always looking for tips on how to make my game efficient. Why did you quit btw? Injury?

I just gave a few tips, but its kinda hard online since we need to show body positioning and angles.... feel me? but I'll try my best to share what I can and as understandable as I can.

I quit because I hurt my knee.

I was too competitive and had too much pride to keep getting beat, and it really sucked to not have the same abilities you once did.

Trust me... it sucks when your brain and instincts are telling you to do one thing, but your body can't do them.

I was also missing work because I kept getting injured.

I had to decide between my job or basketball, and paying the bills won.

I still wish I could play (damn I miss it more than anything in the world), but it is what it is.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:03 AM   #6
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Not so much about body positioning as it is a veteran "trick" to force a potential rebounder out of position when he/she (there are some female hoopers here) gets around you.

In you battle for position is to keep your forearms parallel to the ground but high. When they go to jump press your forearm on them at their shoulder. Do not push, just press. As they go up bring your forearm down rubbing against their body.

What happens is you go from guiding their upperbody as they try to jump through your armbar to moving their center of gravity. It mentally throws most guys off so much that they flail at the ball. When you get used to doing it it doesn't get you a foul call because they don't look like they got pushed.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:16 AM   #7
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Most people don't have court awareness because they spend too much time looking around the court and not enough time looking at the rim. No matter where you are on the court if you look at the rim the other nine players will more or less be in your peripheral vision.

To take that a step further, if you only need to see the rim to get a general idea of where the other nine guys are then there is no need for large head movements to see the floor. Instead of moving your head side to side, a sweep of the eyes from right to left would be more than effective.

I say right to left because a study done years ago shows that because we read left to right our eyes because used to scanning that way. When forced to do it the less natural way we actually take in more information because our eyes are really working.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:40 AM   #8
Kobe8
Banned

i'm 5'10 , And everytime I play with my friend, we always try to practice pick and roll cuz its the easiest way to get to the basket in my age/level, and you never know which way I go.

The dude I do the play with is shorter than me and More of a PG... Im tryna improve my ballhandling skills right now tho, be like Odom. But for some reason I always driblle with my head down.. it pisses me off..
im kinda interested of what you mean by Mathematic and Angles in the game of basketball..

post more please!
Kobe8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:47 AM   #9
Kobe8
Banned

AND BTW , WHEN I Play on Pickup games, I try to boxout the opponent and yo, they get mad at me bcuz I place my Forearm on their arm or somewhere there , to prevent them from raising their arm and grab the rebound... this dude got mad and pushed me n I just started laughin my ass off.. it happened to alot of people in the gym.. lol its pretty hilarious to see peopel get pissed..
Kobe8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:00 AM   #10
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

The overwhelming majority of pro players don't know much about playing defensive angles, in large part because they never had to. When you're that talented physically, you can make up for a lot of those little skills. In fact, some guys play into getting beat because they can "trick" offensive players into thinking there's something there that isn't. It's a bad habit to get into. But when you're playing, the results are the results. Those guys who are that physically gifted get sifted out of the system over the years because they never get coached to do it the right way. They stop progressing at the point at which there physical advantage stops existing, weather that's high college, low college, semi-pro ball, or even the jump from the playground to a real high school team. It could be a lack of smarts, or a lack of will, but for some reason some guys just never pick it up.

When I teach man defense at the middle school and even high school level, I often teach a form of angled gambling. Most people know the towel drill. Where a player advances a ball up the court while a defender tries to continually turn him. It's an excercise in moving one's feet, but it doesn't have the practical in game application unless a risk is taken. I teach my best athletes (the best athletes because they have the bodies to recover ground, and I'm trying to teach them how to use it) to force a turn, and then reach for a steal. Not into the body, but a clean ball reach. If you don't get it, then yeah, you'll be crossed up, maybe even look bad, but it's a measure of risk reward. We do it on fully court man pressure. There's plenty of room to make up that ground. And plenty of help behind you to give you time to recover. The reward, the steal in an open court, is well worth the risk, a guy moving from one volleyball line to another. It doesn't hurt us at all. But it all starts with cheating those angles. Get your head on the ball handlers outside hip. You don't even have to be within 3 feet of him. At that distance from the rim, there's no need to be physical. Just get your head on the outer hip, and make him put the ball in front of you. Get your hand on the floor between his legs, where the ball is most likely to hit. If you do that a few times, you can start going a double force. Get to the outside of one hip, then immediately, without reaching, jump to the other hip. You'll beat him to that spot and could force a turnover.
The defensive angles get more obtuse the closer to the hoop you get, so take advantage of the easy ones early in the possession. And by getting middle school kids to do it, while explaining it's purpose, will make it easier for them to understand the harder ones in the half court when I get to that.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:12 AM   #11
GhostDeini32
serenity now

simple solutiion.

1-4 high motion offense. works against zone or man.

play the angles on the entry bounce passes.

don't settle. for anything.

and thats it. if you know how to play some gimmick D throw that in there, like UNLV used to do.
GhostDeini32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:13 AM   #12
GhostDeini32
serenity now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da KO King
Most people don't have court awareness because they spend too much time looking around the court and not enough time looking at the rim. No matter where you are on the court if you look at the rim the other nine players will more or less be in your peripheral vision.

To take that a step further, if you only need to see the rim to get a general idea of where the other nine guys are then there is no need for large head movements to see the floor. Instead of moving your head side to side, a sweep of the eyes from right to left would be more than effective.

I say right to left because a study done years ago shows that because we read left to right our eyes because used to scanning that way. When forced to do it the less natural way we actually take in more information because our eyes are really working.

well thought out, highly rational post. rep if could.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:42 AM   #13
DCL
NBA rookie of the year

i miss the days of blocking players when they're like 8 feet away and shooting and my arms still swat their sh!t to afghanistan. or even on 2 on 1 fastbreaks where 2 guys are coming at me and i still deny them a basket because i'd just outjump them anywhere and alter their shot. but i can't do that sh!t no more because now if those 2 guys come at me, i gotta think fast whether i take a step forward at the guy with the ball who might shoot or stay back where the other guy might receive a quick dish. i don't think players really care to learn to optimize these things until certain advantages go away.
DCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:47 AM   #14
GhostDeini32
serenity now

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCL
i miss the days of blocking players when they're like 8 feet away and shooting and my arms still swat their sh!t to afghanistan. or even on 2 on 1 fastbreaks where 2 guys are coming at me and i still deny them a basket because i'd just outjump them anywhere and alter their shot. but i can't do that sh!t no more because now if those 2 guys come at me, i gotta think fast whether i take a step forward at the guy with the ball who might shoot or stay back where the other guy might receive a quick dish. i don't think players really care to learn to optimize these things until certain advantages go away.

i think you are full of shit.

fundamentals over all your lies anyday.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:51 AM   #15
DCL
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostDeini32
i think you are full of shit.

fundamentals over all your lies anyday.

what's there to lie about? i'm talking about the old days vs. now. i had height and pretty good hops back in the day. now i just got height and not so great reflexes. so why u mad? were you the guys who used to get swatted all the time?
DCL is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: