Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 12-30-2010, 02:53 PM   #1
BIG_MIKE_27
Can barely lace up my sneakers

BIG_MIKE_27 has an OK reputation so far
Default Dunking by 2012?

Ok so iv never really done leg weights before simply cos i havnt had the facilities.. but i got a squat rack there for christmas and im gunna start!
Starting today im gunna post videos on youtube monthly to keep a track of my progress.. im very much a one legged jumper but hopefully with time il get better off 2!
Im 5'9 with a standing reach of around 7'7 so iv got a long way to go.. but if people like T-Dub and Nate Robinson can do what they do i figure i can at least throw it down with enough work!

Off 1 foot iv around a 30 inch vert (used to be higher but i sprained my ankle a couple times)
Standing 2 feet is around 20 and running 2 feet is 23 or so!

As far as a routine goes il be doin squats deadlifts and step ups all 5x5 with heavy weights!
any advice is appreciated!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYOdKt2Fcg4

EDIT: must have overstated my 2 foot jumps at the start!:P
changed them now!

Last edited by BIG_MIKE_27 : 01-31-2011 at 05:35 PM.
BIG_MIKE_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:00 PM   #2
DWRIGHTWAY
Banned

DWRIGHTWAY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDWRIGHTWAY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDWRIGHTWAY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDWRIGHTWAY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDWRIGHTWAY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDWRIGHTWAY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDWRIGHTWAY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDWRIGHTWAY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDWRIGHTWAY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDWRIGHTWAY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDWRIGHTWAY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: www.clothinglocker.com new style Louis Vuitton WMNS Jeans

good luck
DWRIGHTWAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 05:02 AM   #3
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

Damn best advice I ever heard.

My advice to you. Give yourself breaks. Work out hard for 3 months, then take a month off. You have to let your body recover. Trust me, your body will betray you if you don't.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:34 AM   #4
DWRIGHTWAY
Banned

DWRIGHTWAY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDWRIGHTWAY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDWRIGHTWAY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDWRIGHTWAY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDWRIGHTWAY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDWRIGHTWAY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDWRIGHTWAY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDWRIGHTWAY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDWRIGHTWAY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDWRIGHTWAY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDWRIGHTWAY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

wtf?
Old 01-01-2011, 05:52 PM   #5
Nova6
Decent playground baller

Nova6 has decent reputation
Default Re: Dunking by 2012?

good luck
Nova6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 06:20 PM   #6
DWRIGHTWAY
Banned

yeah good luck
Old 01-04-2011, 04:36 PM   #7
JacobYah

JacobYah has no real reputation yet.

The best way to start dunking his using plyo. By doing that, you're using strictly your weight, and when you're using only your weight, the body responds faster with associating more fast twitches in your lower body. Sidestory: people don't know this but, Bruce Lee had Nate Robinson type hops.
JacobYah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:22 PM   #8
bobbyflay
Kids at the park dunk on me

bobbyflay has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobYah
The best way to start dunking his using plyo. By doing that, you're using strictly your weight, and when you're using only your weight, the body responds faster with associating more fast twitches in your lower body. Sidestory: people don't know this but, Bruce Lee had Nate Robinson type hops.

I think it only helps after u gained a certain amount of strength.

I can easily touch the rim now like a full 1 and 1/2 inches above from running from the 3 point line now I'm still working on my standing still jump though. It used to be 1/5 jumps then I would get it but now it's 2/3 jumps I lightly tap the rim. I also feel a lot stronger from the strength training(yep kinda obvious lol) which I mean rebounding and ripping through and stuff. I think I'm 5'8 and a half inches tall now. My reach is 7'0 -7'1 I think.
bobbyflay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:04 AM   #9
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

Plyos are what is going to give you a lot of the inches, but there is point where the body simply can't gain anymore with it's own weight... which is why you lift weights in conjunction with plyos. As I've said before, it's combining the strength and power from the weights, with the explosive reactivity from the plyos. Olympic lifts are a combination of both because you are more or less jumping with a ton of weight.

You can never get to your full standstill vertical without weights either... that's based greatly on power... which is why my standing vert was always only a couple inches less than my running because my legs were built mostly on power and not on reactivity because I didn't play much basketball for a long time.

It doesn't surprise me at all the Bruce Lee had Nate like hopes. Everything he did was lighting fast so in terms of explosiveness he was as high as his body could take him... and you know genetically he was gifted to be able to do all that stuff THAT quick... but when you do things that explosively, then the gains you get will be amazing. some people are better built to handle it than others.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:37 AM   #10
Hazard
makhnovshchina

Hazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Awesome man, I'll be following your progress good luck. I have the same resolution, just now getting over a fractured tibia and got back to grabbing rim. I hope to be hanging on it by the summer, and I guess we'll see if I hit a wall by then. So far I haven't done anything and just became super explosive out of nowhere. Definitely not complaining.
Hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 02:57 AM   #11
ghettoracer
I airball my layups

ghettoracer has an OK reputation so far

2 of my favorite training info sites.

Kelly Baggett's www.higher-faster-sports.com
Andrew Darqui's www.adarq.org

i'm 5'11" but you have the same reach as me! you wrote you have about 30" RVJ so i guess you can touch the rim right now then?

Last edited by ghettoracer : 01-08-2011 at 02:59 AM.
ghettoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:10 PM   #12
BIG_MIKE_27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettoracer
i'm 5'11" but you have the same reach as me! you wrote you have about 30" RVJ so i guess you can touch the rim right now then?

thanks to everyone who's given advice or wished me luck!

yeah im just about tipping it jumping off one leg.. used to be able to get three or four inches higher but not lately!
orr two feet im getting around 9'7

since i started two weeks ago iv already noticed a couple inches but thats probably cos i never lifted like this before!
at the moment im squatting around my bodyweight and deadlifting about 10 pounds more than that my goal now is just to try and lift more every week.
once i get to about double what im at now i think il add some olympic lifts!
as far as the step ups go i havnt really bothered with them.. they feel a bit awkward with the bar and i dont have dumbells heavy enough, what are some alternatives?

if anyone has any suggestions as to what i can do better theyd be appreciated!

il post another video at the end of every month to keep track of my progress!

Last edited by BIG_MIKE_27 : 01-08-2011 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:11 AM   #13
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE_27
thanks to everyone who's given advice or wished me luck!

yeah im just about tipping it jumping off one leg.. used to be able to get three or four inches higher but not lately!
orr two feet im getting around 9'7

since i started two weeks ago iv already noticed a couple inches but thats probably cos i never lifted like this before!
at the moment im squatting around my bodyweight and deadlifting about 10 pounds more than that my goal now is just to try and lift more every week.
once i get to about double what im at now i think il add some olympic lifts!
as far as the step ups go i havnt really bothered with them.. they feel a bit awkward with the bar and i dont have dumbells heavy enough, what are some alternatives?

if anyone has any suggestions as to what i can do better theyd be appreciated!

il post another video at the end of every month to keep track of my progress!

You can do these with lighter dumbells.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EH3y...eature=related
Old 01-10-2011, 01:46 PM   #14
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I'm a huge believer is maximizing any type of running you perform. Whether that refers to sprints, basketball games, or other sports, I feel pushing your body to the limit will only further increase your chances at increasing your vertical and therefore, dunking.

In basketball, sometimes it's easy to fall into a "game groove" where one can find themselves operating on a sort of 85% auto-pilot. The court is short enough to where one may be able to play a pickup game without ever approaching a full, real, maximum sprint. What I've noticed is that by forcing myself to approach that level of sprinting exhaustion at numerous points, my legs and stride maximize and extend, my stamina increases and my long-term jumping strength gets a boost. When I get my wind back, I'm leaping higher than before with less physical exertion.
Rake2204 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:51 AM   #15
BIG_MIKE_27

had a game yesterday and i was SO close to dunking it off one foot in the warmup!
gettin around 9'8 off two feet and 9'5 from a standstill!
im pumped!
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: