Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 01-16-2011, 02:17 PM   #16
GhostDeini32
serenity now

GhostDeini32 has decent reputation
Default Re: Dunking by 2012?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE_27
had a game yesterday and i was SO close to dunking it off one foot in the warmup!
gettin around 9'8 off two feet and 9'5 from a standstill!
im pumped!

you'll definitely get it by 2012.

i'm right there with you. that is my goal also.
GhostDeini32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:41 AM   #17
01amberfirewv
Serious playground baller

01amberfirewv has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Im 5'9 with a standing reach of around 7'7 so iv got a long way to go.. but if people like T-Dub and Nate Robinson can do what they do i figure i can at least throw it down with enough work!

As far as a routine goes il be doin squats deadlifts and step ups all 5x5 with heavy weights!
any advice is appreciated!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYOdKt2Fcg4

Man one of us is some sort of freak because I am 5'9 but my standing reach is only 7'. I'm older (32) and am really just getting into basketball but I think I am going to make dunking a goal of mine also. With some work I can touch a 10' rim. The court I play on ever Sat has a rim that is about 4" low. I will dunk on it by summer

I love the 5x5 programs, add some type of plyo's (unless you play a few times a week) and your golden
01amberfirewv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:10 AM   #18
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01amberfirewv
Man one of us is some sort of freak because I am 5'9 but my standing reach is only 7'. I'm older (32) and am really just getting into basketball but I think I am going to make dunking a goal of mine also. With some work I can touch a 10' rim. The court I play on ever Sat has a rim that is about 4" low. I will dunk on it by summer

I love the 5x5 programs, add some type of plyo's (unless you play a few times a week) and your golden

either you have an extremely long neck... extremely low set shoulders... or extremely short arms... and the trifecta of all 3

I bet you could bench press a lot tho if you tried with short arms like that. My wingspan is over an inch shorter than my height and I could bench press a lot before I got injured... over 300 pounds... doing the same workouts as my friends who were benching like 40+ pounds less than me.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:40 AM   #19
01amberfirewv
Serious playground baller

01amberfirewv has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
I bet you could bench press a lot tho if you tried with short arms like that. My wingspan is over an inch shorter than my height and I could bench press a lot before I got injured... over 300 pounds... doing the same workouts as my friends who were benching like 40+ pounds less than me.

I used to be able to bench more than 2x my body weight. I'll have to re measure and see what my wingspan is but I know I have short arms and leg's. I think I am built more like a runner or swimmer than a weightlifter or basketball player
01amberfirewv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:52 PM   #20
DWRIGHTWAY
Banned

DWRIGHTWAY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDWRIGHTWAY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDWRIGHTWAY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDWRIGHTWAY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDWRIGHTWAY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDWRIGHTWAY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDWRIGHTWAY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDWRIGHTWAY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDWRIGHTWAY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDWRIGHTWAY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDWRIGHTWAY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

need 2 get to work on the SQUATs
DWRIGHTWAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:41 PM   #21
JoelJ
Can barely lace up my sneakers

JoelJ has an OK reputation so far

Good stuff. I'm a big fan of the squat centric strength programs. Something like Starting strength or similar will get your squat up fast and it implements Power Cleans, which will help with explosive power.

Once you get your squat up, implement some good plyometric exercises (while making sure to not overdo it), and you'll end up with a pretty damn good vertical.

I second the recommendation for
Andrew Darqui's website.
and would like to add the following improve vertical blog. Pretty much similar info.

Good luck. :)
JoelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:02 AM   #22
yhaanraads
I hit open layups

yhaanraads has an OK reputation so far

Sounds great, Goodluck OP
yhaanraads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:16 PM   #23
BIG_MIKE_27

BIG_MIKE_27 has an OK reputation so far

Pretty good first month!

the weather here hasnt been great lately so im not sure how much iv improved in comparison to my firts video.. iv definately improved though and i have a rough idea!

off one foot iv gained about 4 inches so that puts me right back where i used to be.. in the month iv gone from tipping 10 feet to getting about 3 or 4 inches above it!
running off two feet iv gained about the same.. 3 inches!
iv gone from skimming the backboard in my gym (which is about 9'5) to slapping it with about half my hand!
my standstill has increased a lot too about 5 inches!
i couldnt get near that backboard from a standstill a month ago and now i get about 2 inches up it!

my squat has gone up 20 pounds (still not at my bodyweight but only about 5 pounds off) and my deadlift by 25 so now its at 180lbs!

dont think i mentioned before but i weigh about 168!

im not expecting the same kind of results in the next month but it would be awesome if i did.. im just focusing on getting my lifts heavier every week and jumping higher every time i get into the gym!

iv been doing a lot of core and i think thats helped me a lot.. what are some good core evercises for jumping?

video coming soon.. thanks everyone for your support! :)

EDIT:
that puts my 1 foot jump at 34, running 2 foot at like 26 and standing 2 foot at 24!

Last edited by BIG_MIKE_27 : 01-31-2011 at 05:37 PM.
BIG_MIKE_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:51 PM   #24
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

you won't have the same results so already mentally prepare yourself for that. First month is always crazy results and it just gets slower and slower after that. Like you said tho, just focus on doing the workouts and the results will come. In a year, you could easily be dunking.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:29 PM   #25
BIG_MIKE_27

finally got round to making another video!

-----> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXVml5ts2iI
Old 02-13-2011, 02:27 PM   #26
JoelJ

JoelJ has an OK reputation so far

Good stuff man, but I have a small recommendation:
Take the video when there's more surrounding light, and change the angle (put the camera farther on a platform).

Frankly, you're showing some good progress, and if you need any more info on improving your single leg jump check out this article: Improve Vertical – The Single Leg Jump Guide

Keep it up! :)
JoelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:56 PM   #27
BIG_MIKE_27

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelJ
Good stuff man, but I have a small recommendation:
Take the video when there's more surrounding light, and change the angle (put the camera farther on a platform).

Frankly, you're showing some good progress, and if you need any more info on improving your single leg jump check out this article: Improve Vertical The Single Leg Jump Guide

Keep it up! :)

yeah i noticed that the videos were coming out a bit dark.. its annoyin cos it gets dark around half 5 these days and i dont get home til like 5!
hopefully light wont be as much of a problem next month!
ill keep the camera angle in mind too!

thats a good article too thanks for pointing it out!
id noticed a bit of a plateu in my single leg jump so hopefully i can start improving it again now too!
Old 02-13-2011, 07:04 PM   #28
Gnova

Gnova has an OK reputation so far

I have been reading this thread. I have scrolled down a bit pretty fast/

In terms of weight training sessions, how is your diet?
Have you added any changes into your eating plan>>?
Gnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:12 PM   #29
BIG_MIKE_27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnova
I have been reading this thread. I have scrolled down a bit pretty fast/

In terms of weight training sessions, how is your diet?
Have you added any changes into your eating plan>>?

iv no real plan as far as a diet goes so any advice would be appreciated!
but since iv started iv just cut down on junk food eaten healthier in general and tried to get as much protein as i can after workouts!

any pointers?
Old 02-14-2011, 06:39 PM   #30
Gnova

Gnova has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
iv no real plan as far as a diet goes so any advice would be appreciated!
but since iv started iv just cut down on junk food eaten healthier in general and tried to get as much protein as i can after workouts!

any pointers?

Wow im really surprised no one has mentioned diet. Im under 6 foot and was able to dunk, but that was back then.

When you know as much as me, then you will know that nutrition plays an important role. So stop eating/drinking soda,chips, fried foods.

What you need to eat every morning is complex carbs. And you should be trying to get in some lean protein meat, eg, fish.

Idk about you but what i do is i eat 5-6 times per day and its mainly protein foods. I guess I cay say I eat like a bodybuilder in a way. But that is just me.
Gnova is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: