Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 12-31-2010, 06:33 PM   #1
chris2010
Good High School Starter

Default Top 3 teams in the west- Lakers, Spurs, Mavs

Here is why my lakers still stand a good chance and how we may possible lose. (btw dont take my opinion seriously. im just a lakers fan 1st, player fan 2nd. who thinks that magic johnson was the greatest laker- not kobe

Win- A healthy Bynum is very difficult to contend with. Obviously with him as our starting center we are a much better defensive team. The long arms of Gasol and Bynum go a long way on defense. We have a much better bench this time around and now with Odom back on the bench it is even more improved. Possibly the deepest bench in the nba. And of course, I despise Kobe's shot selection at times and Gasol being soft from time to time, but in the biggest games in the playoffs they managed to get their act together and find a way to put us over the top. Oh yeah, Artest had epic playoff performances last year I dont see why he wouldnt give an encore to that this year. And of course a guy like Phil jackson on the bench w/ his 11 championships as a coach will never hurt us.

Lose- Hopefully that beginning of the season layoff is enough to cut down on the risk of Bynum going down again. At times our focus is nonexistant- which of course encourages Kobe to jack up shots when he doesnt have it going. It takes roughly a year or 2 to adjust to the triangle offense- w/ a new bench dont be surprised to see them struggle at times. Sometimes they have it down pat, but then there are times where they look completely lost. If we dont play on the same page, no way will we beat either of the good texas teams.

Mavs:
Win- They do have a very deep team. Jason Kidd is basically right at the end of his career and I doubt he is going to just passively allow this opportunity to slip by. The Tyson Chandler contribution to the team is indespinsable. He brings what KG did to the celtics to this team- a defensive anchor. Also there is this guy named Dirk who is 7 feet tall and causes many matchup problems. So far this year he is focused like he was the year they went to the finals. Defense wins championships, they have shown so far that they hang their hat on just that. They were playoff choke artists, but they never had a voice on the team like Chandler before.
Lose- If they lose Chandler, their goes their anchor. They have good players, but the problem is they are past their primes. If they had the Jason kidd that took the nets to the finals, there wouldnt be an issue at all. But the problem is, Jason Kidd gets burned by opposing PGs- they just take him out of his game now. If they had prime shawn marion, they would have their lockdown perimeter defender. And of course, take into account their playoff history- dont ever bet your money on them.

Spurs
Win- best record in the league this early speaks volumes about them. Duncan isnt playing like the one we are used to seeing, but they have great complimentary players on the roster. Ginobilli and parker are rested and playing out of their minds this year. Jefferson has the potential to be another 20 pt scorer and if a team has 3 potential 20 ppg scorers on the roster, they are hard to defend. Gregg popovich= enough said.
Lose- defense wins championships The spurs are not the same defensive team they used to be, they are winning based on offense. They seem to live on the 3. And I cant think of a team that relies on the 3 so much that wins a championship come June. And last but certainly not least, the health of the big 3. Call me an idiot, but Im not sure they are going to stay healthy by the end. Im not wishing an injury on anyone, but when it comes to a certain age and you have been playing ball this long your body just cant take it.

Last edited by chris2010 : 12-31-2010 at 08:33 PM.
chris2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 06:34 PM   #2
Chris Quinn
Banned

Default Re: Top 3 teams in the west- Lakers, Spurs, Mavs

nice POST
Chris Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 06:43 PM   #3
NoEasy9
Banned

Lakers are the clear favorites in the West...talk about the regular season record all you like, but they are still the favorites.

They have too much size. And it's not like they are just big and nothing more. Their bigs are more athletic, mobile, and skilled than every other big in the league...not just the West, the whole league. When your team is like that, you are the clear favorites.

If the Lakers dont make it to the Finals, it is because they didnt play the best of their abilities.

This is the pain of watching this undisciplined team. They just turn it on and off like a switch, especially Pau Gasol. He takes nights off, and then when decides to play one night...the Lakers look unstoppable.
NoEasy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 06:43 PM   #4
chris2010
Good High School Starter

and yes, I still firmly believe that Kobe is going to have to change his game. Stop trying to score on shots that arent there. But facilitate, rebound, anchor the defnese,
Old 12-31-2010, 06:45 PM   #5
chris2010
Good High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoEasy9
Lakers are the clear favorites in the West...talk about the regular season record all you like, but they are still the favorites.

They have too much size. And it's not like they are just big and nothing more. Their bigs are more athletic, mobile, and skilled than every other big in the league...not just the West, the whole league. When your team is like that, you are the clear favorites.

If the Lakers dont make it to the Finals, it is because they didnt play the best of their abilities.

This is the pain of watching this undisciplined team. They just turn it on and off like a switch, especially Pau Gasol. He takes nights off, and then when decides to play one night...the Lakers look unstoppable.

this. especially the gasol part. Kobe needs to step up and do something about that. whether its building him up by paying him like 50K per made shot or going christian bale on him idk.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:49 PM   #6
Stuckey
ifirtworld

thanks captain obvious
Stuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 07:10 PM   #7
chris2010
Good High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuckey
thanks captain obvious

your welcome private useless response
Old 12-31-2010, 08:29 PM   #8
chris2010
Good High School Starter

bump b/c im bored
Old 12-31-2010, 10:13 PM   #9
CaptainObvious.
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuckey
thanks captain obvious

My name is Captain Obvious.
CaptainObvious. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:49 AM   #10
Anaximandro1
High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris2010
Duncan isnt playing like the one we are used to seeing.
To be fair,Duncan will be 35 years old in a few weeks.This season he has the best supporting cast of his career,so he is playing limited minutes.

Compare Spurs rosters (early 2000s vs 2011)

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/SAS/2001.html

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/SAS/2002.html

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/SAS/2003.html

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/SAS/2004.html

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/SAS/2011.html

Tim is not a 26/13 player anymore,but come playoff time,the Spurs will have a 20/10 player surrounded by 6 guys who can score 15 points every night.I'm not saying the Spurs will win.There are so many great teams,so who knows.
Anaximandro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:58 AM   #11
LilBTheBasedGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainObvious.
My name is Captain Obvious.

thanks captain obvious
Old 01-01-2011, 02:33 AM   #12
SinJackal
Banned

Not to nitpick here, but I just want to point out a couple things.

Spurs' defense isn't what it was during their championship runs, but their offense is MUCH better than it used to be (I'm not sure why nobody ever points this out. Everyone nitpicks the defense not being as good, but overlook the fact that their offense is much better). Spurs' defense is also still top 10 in the NBA (which is higher than LA), while their offense is #1 in the league. If they had middle of the pack offense with just the #9 defense, I'd be worried. But it's #1. Defense is top 10. Having a top 10 defense is hardly bad when your offense is #1. I think that is a very overrated "weakness" of the team.

Their defensive rating also dropped when Hill was out for ten days. They're very close to being #8 in defense, and can realistically tighten it up and get as high as 5-6 before the season's over. They aren't much worse than the #6 defensive team right now. They're about as close to them as LA's defense is to SA's. (I'm just using LA as an example here since they're the defending champs, not trying to shit on them or anything.)

Also about defense, will the Mavs' heavy use of zone D' actually work in a 7 game series? When teams know how to attack them, and grow used to it, will it start to fail them? This is a big question mark.

On your health comments about SA: All three teams have health issues. To be fair, Duncan and Parker have both been pretty healthy their whole careers. I would say both Duncan and Parker are about as injury prone as Kobe. Bynum and Chandler on the other hand, haven't had healthy careers.

And those guys happen to be the biggest defensive players on their respective teams. If they go down, neither team gets past the second round without a lot of luck. I would say all 3 teams have pretty much equal health concerns. SA has had bad luck with health repeatedly at the worst times over the last decade and it's cut their playoffs short multiple times, but their overall health (besides Manu), has been good. It's just been incredibly bad luck timing to happen right before, or during the playoffs.

Another key for my Spurs is that they are capable of playing at any pace successfully. A lot of teams get taken out of their rhythem if you change speeds on them. SA has no slowdown, since they're now playing fast paced, but nearly every player on the team has a ton of experience with a slow pace. When SA gets a lead late, it's over. They change the pace, slow it down, and still score. If they're losing, they can stay high paced and get back into it. Their team being stacked with 3pt shooters always gives them a puncher's chance of getting back into games they shouldn't win, and they've done it multiple times already.

I also think LA has a glaring transition defense weakness this year. If you run on them, they get picked apart. Especially team who play a normal pace but burst out with fast breaks anyway (Thunder, Spurs, Mavs, Heat). For some reason, LA as a collective whole seems slower. It might be early season low energy, but they're also older. Their core three guys are all 30+ now.

The Lakers seem to have recently figured out what works for them (finally), and are back to winning. So there is the good news for Lakers right now.
SinJackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 02:38 AM   #13
Darth Vader
Banned

It is too late for the Mavs and Spurs. The Lakers will show them the true nature of the Force.
Darth Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 02:41 AM   #14
magnax1
Giving up on life.

Good post other then defense wins championships. I haven't seen anything proving that... ever.
I think the Mavs are the best matchups against LA, though not the best team. They have multiple good defensive bigs, and they're mostly pretty tough, and that's what you need more then anything to beat LA. That's why LA has struggled with Portland the last few years.
magnax1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 03:08 AM   #15
alenleomessi
GloryhunterSinceThe90s

OKC> Lakers and Mavs
alenleomessi is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: