Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 12-31-2010, 01:30 AM   #1
crisoner
10 plus years on ISH

Default *****The state of the Lakers*****

So the Lakers are at 10 L's this early I'm the season.
They also have a 3 and 4 games losing streak as well.
Gasol seems out of fuel at times and Kobe's play has been lacking.
And of course the blow out losses from the Bucks through the Spurs.

But I'll call it now. Lakers WILL Three peat this year. Please SoCal and gts mark this down.
I know It's early real early but the Lakers will win.

I say all that knowing this...when healthy and focused the Lakers are the beat team in the NBA. And in a seven game series with or without home court the Lakers can not be beat.

Those two facts will hold true. Like Mike days its all apart is the journey!

GO LAKES!!!

Last edited by crisoner : 01-03-2011 at 03:29 AM.
crisoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 01:38 AM   #2
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

Default Re: *****The state od the Lakers*****

Well we know they are capable, but there are a lot of issues still with this team. I still also firmly believe this team can beat any one when focused, I am just waiting to see that focus this year. But I am all for positive praise and positive thinking.

fyi, you might want to spellcheck when you post on a phone
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:04 AM   #3
TryToBeUnbias
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetimthomas
Well we know they are capable, but there are a lot of issues still with this team. I still also firmly believe this team can beat any one when focused, I am just waiting to see that focus this year. But I am all for positive praise and positive thinking.

fyi, you might want to spellcheck when you post on a phone

Oh ok he wrote that from his phone ? i thought he was drunk or something
TryToBeUnbias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:25 AM   #4
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: *****The state of the Lakers*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisoner
But I'll call it now. Lakers WILL Three peat this year. Please SoCal and gts mark this down.
I know It's early real early but the Lakers will win.

Those two facts will hold true. Luke Mike days its all apart is the journey!

GO LAKES!!!

I have been saying this for a while and I agree!!! Repped for not needing the Laker Crisis Hotline today.

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:58 PM   #5
chris2010
Good High School Starter

Underperforming lately. W/ our team we should be tied w/ the spurs for the best record or even better. We had an easy schedule, a much improved team. But we havent had everyone focused at the same time, injuries, and a few other issues like Kobe's shot selection during stretches. But hopefully the other night was an indication of us getting it together. We could easily rip open a 10 game win streak.
chris2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 07:46 PM   #6
gts
Sons of Antartica

my lakers season in review

so far there have been
1426 total rebounds
793 free throw attempts
3323 points
2666 shot attempts
723 assists
253 steals
157 blocks

looking good!
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:24 AM   #7
bladefd
Good college starter

I will copy/paste here what I typed in one of the other gamecasts since I want all Laker fans to take a moment and realize what we Lakers have done. Think about it a bit, Laker fans. It will probably get lost somewhere at the end of that thread..

As much as I hate to say this, I think this may be another Spurs championship year. They are playing very good basketball, and their big 3 is very reliable between TP/Manu/TimmyD. I think as a basketball fan, we have to give credit where it's due. Those Spurs have been the 2nd best team since 2000, and they seem to be at their best this season. Popovich made some coaching moves, changed their lineups/rotations, integrated some new things to his system that was often a part of the run-and-gun system into his system to make them a high scoring team. You might ask "Run-and-gun and Popovich??? WHAT KIND OF OUTRAGE IS THAT??" but Pop said he was getting bored of his old system and they wanted to make some changes to bring some new life into his team (paraphrasing in my own words for the "new life" portion, Pop worded it differently).

You seriously can't expect the Lakers to be in the Finals 4 years in a row. Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think ANY team has made the finals 4 years in a row (outside the Celtics in the 60s, but we are talking the 60's WAAAY before the NBA-ABA merger with MUCH fewer teams in the league and even fewer making playoffs). If the Spurs make it, I won't hold it against these Lakers or even those Spurs; In fact, I will be okay with it as much as I want our Lakers to 3-peat.

Remember our rebuilding phase.. Remember what we wanted.. Finals at the end of the decade was not even on our minds. Remember the heart-breaking couple months when Kobe wanted out. Remember losing to the Suns after that 7-game heart-breaking collapse. Remember not making playoffs that one season. Remember everything we went through to get to this current point. Lets remember all that and realize that this team has been a success. Everything we fans wanted, we have gotten the last 3 years. Who would have thought that team from 04-05 season would be in the finals 3 years in a row and win 2 in a row?
bladefd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:13 PM   #8
gts
Sons of Antartica

Quote:
You seriously can't expect the Lakers to be in the Finals 4 years in a row.

The celtics of the 60's you mentioned Blade and the showtime lakers are the only two teams to have pulled this off..

i mentioned this a few times early in the season and training camp... it's not an easy feat, each season the target on their backs gets a little bigger...

Last edited by gts : 01-03-2011 at 12:16 PM.
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:13 PM   #9
SoCalMike

i will re-post this here as i also posted it in the crisis thread..

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalpimp

*if* that quote is true from Pjax, it is absolutely correct. i have been complaining about kobe (and other team members) not playing within the system for most of the season. they are taking too many long shots, too many iso's and not leveraging their length which gives them a competitive advantage.... its a team issue... way too many "short cuts" in the name of laziness. and there are trust issues that need to be worked out and will be worked out.

the Lakers are just bored and it shows on the court. it is infuriating to watch them play right now, and i have been maintaining that it will get worse before it gets better.

*however*

don't anyone kid themselves... this team will be there come playoff time and they will not be bored then... and for the rest of the league, including the spurs and heat, this spells trouble. they are very seasoned and know when to turn it on and come together as a team.

if getting a title was easy, everyone would have a ring, right? its meant to be difficult and that is what makes it so special.

lakers are going for their fourth finals appearance in four years, only done by two teams in nba history!!!!! i cut them some slack given how many games they have played over that period.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:51 PM   #10
bladefd
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
The celtics of the 60's you mentioned Blade and the showtime lakers are the only two teams to have pulled this off..

i mentioned this a few times early in the season and training camp... it's not an easy feat, each season the target on their backs gets a little bigger...

Did the Showtime Lakers really make the finals 4 times in a row? Wow, for some reason I kept thinking they only made it 3 times in a row 2 separate times in that decade. I knew the Celtics made it like 8 or 9 times in a row in the weak 60's.

Well, I was partially wrong about there being no team making finals more than 3 times in the modern era of NBA, but the message still remains important. This team was broken, rebuilding and left train-wrecked after Shaq ran and the other guys we had retired or moved on. We should not be so spoiled; If the Lakers don't make Finals again for 4th time in a row, it is all good.
bladefd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:35 PM   #11
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Don't mean to post whore here crisoner,

but California!!!!!
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:51 PM   #12
BallsOut
NBA lottery pick

I don't know if anyone has brought this up, but could it be that the rest of the league has caught up? I mean caught up with the Lakers' triangle offense that is. A good example is the Heat game, where players already knew where passes were going to go, the opposing players were there with the cutters forcing tough passes that would fumble out of bounds. Guys were pressing the ball to make it difficult to pass into the post, and the bigs were just pushing Gasol out of position.
BallsOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:14 PM   #13
BlueandGold
bball/boxing

It's going to be extremely tough for the Lakers to make it to the Finals again this year.. this team has played a ton of basketball the last 4 years.
BlueandGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:18 PM   #14
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallsOut
I don't know if anyone has brought this up, but could it be that the rest of the league has caught up? I mean caught up with the Lakers' triangle offense that is. A good example is the Heat game, where players already knew where passes were going to go, the opposing players were there with the cutters forcing tough passes that would fumble out of bounds. Guys were pressing the ball to make it difficult to pass into the post, and the bigs were just pushing Gasol out of position.

I'm going to start off with the positive: This is the most talented team the Lakers have had in a very long time.....if not ever top to bottom.
I have no doubt this team is CAPABLE of winning the title this year even if they were the 8th seed.

All that being said....I commented months ago that Avery Johnson took a very soft Dallas team to the finals....and for 2 years he got soft players to toughen up....then they went back to their old ways. Well from what I see Phil & Kobe got Gasol to toughen up for 2 years and now the guy is playing like a little scared b!tch who doesn't want to do battle.....I don't think the guy is ever going to get it back, he appears to be in full quit mode. He's got 2rings and is fully content to stop there and not get bruised.....that's why it's so easy to move him.

Crazy Ron is gone and so are his skills.....good for him as a human being.....terrible for us as a basketball team, we need the angry, competitive, aggressive Ron Ron......not the one who needs to be benched in favor of Barnes.

I thought Blake would easily outplay Fish and take over the starting spot mid to late in the season......but the guy is getting worse every game....I can't figure out why? We still have a MAJOR problem at the point on both offense and defense.

I think the team is horribly bored with the triangle offense......no one is going to say it or argue with Mr. 11 rings......but it is obvious, these guys would rather run pick and roll and more simple stuff that other teams are running with success.......YES teams have learned the Triangle rotations and how to stop them.

Wasn't Chuck Person supposed to IMPROVE their shooting???

If your team is not shooting well....how do you win??? OFFENSIVE REBOUNDS......we freaking shoot and run away...WTF last night a ball bonced up in the air, landed and bounced high again....very easy board if 4 guys weren't already deep at the other end. HUSTLE.....a firey coach would demand this not discuss in low monotone soundbytes.
DEFENSE.....the Lakers philosophy of giving up the 3 because it's a low percentage shot.....has been failing miserably as well as really stupid insistance in doubling terrible players to leave good ones wide open....Failure.....how about they try playing man defense, getting a hand in the face on every shot....this is nothing new!!!!!
How about telling Kobe he has an outside shot of making the 3rd team all-defense.......WTF happened to his defense....he is just awful this year.

Phil may win this one......but his run here is 100% finished after this even if he wanted to come back....these guys have tuned out him, his coaches and his system.....the next guy in HAS TO BE a guy who coaches with fire and passion.

End of Rant
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:38 PM   #15
SoCalMike

Ok, its interesting to see some folks comments, rants, perspectives, and fears... but I have to lay this out... if you don't get Pjax's way of coaching, then you will never understand how he prepares his teams for title runs.

A good coach knows when to push and when not to... coaching with passion all the time can and will wear out one's welcome and I can cite many, many examples, including the "oh passionate one," Riley himself who nearly got run from the Lakers....

So please folks, take a step back... take a deep breath and let this play itself out... if you are a doubter, you will be pleasantly surprised... if you get it, you will be smug with confidence that you got it.

This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: