Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 01-04-2011, 04:31 PM   #31
L.A. Jazz
enjoy '13,hope for '14

L.A. Jazz is a pretty well-respected posterL.A. Jazz is a pretty well-respected posterL.A. Jazz is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: *****The state of the Lakers*****

the Lakers are the champs. the are sick and must take some medicine, but when they are healthy again, they will be right there with Boston, Miami, S.A. in the POs.

but until then they are not watchable! and i will not get up for games early in the morning until May.

Phil, find the right medicine, put it in Kobe's ass (ok, everyone's ass) and get them back on track!

L.A. Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:03 PM   #32
kobesabi
Double Dribble Expert

kobesabi has an incredible reputation herekobesabi has an incredible reputation herekobesabi has an incredible reputation herekobesabi has an incredible reputation herekobesabi has an incredible reputation herekobesabi has an incredible reputation herekobesabi has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
I'm going to start off with the positive: This is the most talented team the Lakers have had in a very long time.....if not ever top to bottom.
I have no doubt this team is CAPABLE of winning the title this year even if they were the 8th seed.

All that being said....I commented months ago that Avery Johnson took a very soft Dallas team to the finals....and for 2 years he got soft players to toughen up....then they went back to their old ways. Well from what I see Phil & Kobe got Gasol to toughen up for 2 years and now the guy is playing like a little scared b!tch who doesn't want to do battle.....I don't think the guy is ever going to get it back, he appears to be in full quit mode. He's got 2rings and is fully content to stop there and not get bruised.....that's why it's so easy to move him.

Crazy Ron is gone and so are his skills.....good for him as a human being.....terrible for us as a basketball team, we need the angry, competitive, aggressive Ron Ron......not the one who needs to be benched in favor of Barnes.

I thought Blake would easily outplay Fish and take over the starting spot mid to late in the season......but the guy is getting worse every game....I can't figure out why? We still have a MAJOR problem at the point on both offense and defense.

I think the team is horribly bored with the triangle offense......no one is going to say it or argue with Mr. 11 rings......but it is obvious, these guys would rather run pick and roll and more simple stuff that other teams are running with success.......YES teams have learned the Triangle rotations and how to stop them.

Wasn't Chuck Person supposed to IMPROVE their shooting???

If your team is not shooting well....how do you win??? OFFENSIVE REBOUNDS......we freaking shoot and run away...WTF last night a ball bonced up in the air, landed and bounced high again....very easy board if 4 guys weren't already deep at the other end. HUSTLE.....a firey coach would demand this not discuss in low monotone soundbytes.
DEFENSE.....the Lakers philosophy of giving up the 3 because it's a low percentage shot.....has been failing miserably as well as really stupid insistance in doubling terrible players to leave good ones wide open....Failure.....how about they try playing man defense, getting a hand in the face on every shot....this is nothing new!!!!!
How about telling Kobe he has an outside shot of making the 3rd team all-defense.......WTF happened to his defense....he is just awful this year.

Phil may win this one......but his run here is 100% finished after this even if he wanted to come back....these guys have tuned out him, his coaches and his system.....the next guy in HAS TO BE a guy who coaches with fire and passion.

End of Rant
I was going to rant the same way. I agree with almost everything you say up there.

In addition, when Kobe goes into his stubborn mode and missing tons and TOs which he has been doing alot lately for whatever reason. They need to be smart and not give him the ball every time he asked for it.

Even with Bynum, they've been losing to many top contender teams and seemingly give up easily to lose by like 18-20 points. They are getting older... They are also having 3peat syndrome where they think they automatically still have the same skills as last year and somehow will win again without same level of productivity and effort as last year. Technically possible, not automatic, and not easier as it gets toward the 3peat. Everyone and last year close losers will try even harder to knock you off that pathway. Every year is a reset and they have to put in as much effort to sustain last year skills. I don't see it from their body language, the way they played and act. They seem to be very complacent (noticeably Pau and Artest) and thinking they can turn on the switch at will again... they need to remember that they win last year by a near-tip-of-the-iceberg in many games. They did not win it by landslide so they can easily slide all this year. Those same losers are still around and will try harder this year to knock them out. Instead of getting ready, I see loss of passion in the team and lethargic players. 3peat is no longer an opportunity but a fading hope. I hope Phil knows how to renew their passion and playing with a purpose. He himself seems bored. IDK... If it continues like this to All-Star game...then they can kiss 3peat goodbye.
kobesabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:12 AM   #33
tamaraw08
Decent college freshman

tamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
All that being said....I commented months ago that Avery Johnson took a very soft Dallas team to the finals....and for 2 years he got soft players to toughen up....then they went back to their old ways. Well from what I see Phil & Kobe got Gasol to toughen up for 2 years and now the guy is playing like a little scared b!tch who doesn't want to do battle.....I don't think the guy is ever going to get it back, he appears to be in full quit mode. He's got 2rings and is fully content to stop there and not get bruised.....that's why it's so easy to move him.

Crazy Ron is gone and so are his skills.....good for him as a human being.....terrible for us as a basketball team, we need the angry, competitive, aggressive Ron Ron......not the one who needs to be benched in favor of Barnes.

I thought Blake would easily outplay Fish and take over the starting spot mid to late in the season......but the guy is getting worse every game....I can't figure out why? We still have a MAJOR problem at the point on both offense and defense.

I think the team is horribly bored with the triangle offense......no one is going to say it or argue with Mr. 11 rings......but it is obvious, these guys would rather run pick and roll and more simple stuff that other teams are running with success.......YES teams have learned the Triangle rotations and how to stop them.

Wasn't Chuck Person supposed to IMPROVE their shooting???

If your team is not shooting well....how do you win??? OFFENSIVE REBOUNDS......we freaking shoot and run away...WTF last night a ball bonced up in the air, landed and bounced high again....very easy board if 4 guys weren't already deep at the other end. HUSTLE.....a firey coach would demand this not discuss in low monotone soundbytes.
DEFENSE.....the Lakers philosophy of giving up the 3 because it's a low percentage shot.....has been failing miserably as well as really stupid insistance in doubling terrible players to leave good ones wide open....Failure.....how about they try playing man defense, getting a hand in the face on every shot....this is nothing new!!!!!
How about telling Kobe he has an outside shot of making the 3rd team all-defense.......WTF happened to his defense....he is just awful this year.

Phil may win this one......but his run here is 100% finished after this even if he wanted to come back....these guys have tuned out him, his coaches and his system.....the next guy in HAS TO BE a guy who coaches with fire and passion.

End of Rant

I don't disagree with most of what you said but what the heck did you say again?
Quote:
Kobe got Gasol to toughen up for 2 years and now the guy is playing like a little scared b!tch who doesn't want to do battle
:
So you are giving credit to Kobe to toughen up Gasol but now Pau has lost that toughness it's all bec of this guy and now it's not Kobe's fault?
Dude, the past 2 years you basically dedicated some of your time in bashing your favorite whipping boys, Phil and Fish, Derek continued his clutch shooting in the playoffs you finally eased up on him now it's still Phil and Fish being replaced by Pau.
I respect your opinions that is why I try to take time in reading most of your posts but I just don't recall you ever putting some blame on Kobe.
Heck you even found some good in KObe for game 7 vs Boston even tho he forced a lot of crappy shots with his mighty rebounding.
My point is, there are PLENTY of BLAME esp for the major pieces in the team. Im not saying Pau is faultless but if we are going to give a ton of credit to Kobe when they were winning, then it's only fair to put some blame on him. It's not like he is playing great the past 25 games. What, jacking up 7 3-pointers vs Memphis, his mvp like christmas day performance,m 17 pts, 5 turnovers? 27 shots, 1 assist vs the Bucks?
tamaraw08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:02 PM   #34
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

DKLaker has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaraw08

So you are giving credit to Kobe to toughen up Gasol but now Pau has lost that toughness it's all bec of this guy and now it's not Kobe's fault?
Dude, the past 2 years you basically dedicated some of your time in bashing your favorite whipping boys, Phil and Fish, Derek continued his clutch shooting in the playoffs you finally eased up on him now it's still Phil and Fish being replaced by Pau.
I respect your opinions that is why I try to take time in reading most of your posts but I just don't recall you ever putting some blame on Kobe.
Heck you even found some good in KObe for game 7 vs Boston even tho he forced a lot of crappy shots with his mighty rebounding.
My point is, there are PLENTY of BLAME esp for the major pieces in the team. Im not saying Pau is faultless but if we are going to give a ton of credit to Kobe when they were winning, then it's only fair to put some blame on him. It's not like he is playing great the past 25 games. What, jacking up 7 3-pointers vs Memphis, his mvp like christmas day performance,m 17 pts, 5 turnovers? 27 shots, 1 assist vs the Bucks?

If you have been watching & listening then you should know that it has been spoken about and written that Kobe and Phil have very often confronted Pau to toughen up and battle through.....this is no news flash. Dude needs to grow a pair of balls and MAN UP!!!!!! I talk about guys who play like crap or don't even try to compete.
I don't get why guys try to lay all the blame on Kobe.....the guy IS out of control.....but at least we know 100% that he IS trying to WIN.....can we say that of the rest of the team????? If these guys were really trying to win then Kobe probably wouldn't be jacking up so many bad shots........besides if Kobe was our biggest worry then we would be in damn good shape.
If you READ, I did criticize Kobe for his complete lack of defense this season.
But bottom line is that we win none of those 5 rings without him.

Fish....whipping boy???......listen, If somebody can't shoot, can't pass and can't play defense, then I will talk about it......I stand by my comments last year 100%, Fish's numbers were all career lows......so obviously I was right. Anyone who thinks we wouldn't be better off with a top 25 Pg is out of their mind......Fish isn't even a top 40 PG in the NBA.....not on offense or defense.
Dude is a definite liability even if he hits a shot or 2 late.
It's nothing personal, I absolutely love Fish as a person, he is very nice, very smart/brilliant, dedicated and 100% pure class. I'm not a kiss azz homer where I don't call it like it is.....like some people. (no one in particular).
I fully expected Blake to take his spot but Blake seems overwhelmed at the moment......I would still love an upgrade at the position which is still our biggest liability.....what hurts about this too is the Heat are very weak at that spot too and we cannot take advantage of it.

Phil.....his coaching style has never been my taste......but it is perfect for a modern NBA team, I respect that and only saying we need a change after this season because ANY coach using 1 system will get tuned out after awhile. After this year the team will need to have a fire lit under them.
Any coach at a level below NBA would not be successful using his methods nor coaching style or strategy....you have to demand more from the players and from yourself every game, bring the passion and fire you don't have the luxury of giving away games. An 82 game season, playoffs and highly paid cocky modern athletes....this is Phil territory.
Since I spend so much of my time coaching/training/mentoring players I could not as a coach, like to see the things the Lakers do wrong. As a Lakers fan, I understand the journey and strongly feel we will win the title again this year....but this years team is almost unbearable to watch....win or lose at this point. I'm way too competitive a person and I take great pride at how my teams play, my players are taught to play hard every posession.....and it shows.
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:02 PM   #35
bladefd
Good college starter

bladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Phil.....his coaching style has never been my taste......but it is perfect for a modern NBA team, I respect that and only saying we need a change after this season because ANY coach using 1 system will get tuned out after awhile. After this year the team will need to have a fire lit under them.
Any coach at a level below NBA would not be successful using his methods nor coaching style or strategy....you have to demand more from the players and from yourself every game, bring the passion and fire you don't have the luxury of giving away games. An 82 game season, playoffs and highly paid cocky modern athletes....this is Phil territory.
Since I spend so much of my time coaching/training/mentoring players I could not as a coach, like to see the things the Lakers do wrong. As a Lakers fan, I understand the journey and strongly feel we will win the title again this year....but this years team is almost unbearable to watch....win or lose at this point. I'm way too competitive a person and I take great pride at how my teams play, my players are taught to play hard every posession.....and it shows.

What guys would you put as potential Laker head-coach once Phil officially retires at the end of this season?

I will throw around a few names; a few of them are not likely but couple may be.

I think somebody like Larry Brown or Popovich or Riley or Sloan would be great with the current team we have if we are looking at somebody to replace our current coaching staff after Phil officially retires. Obviously Pop, Sloan and Riley aren't going anywhere.

I dunno if Larry Brown would be willing to coach at 70. He was great at making the best out of his squads and maximizing their team potential (dunno if Kobe would be a road-block in the way like Iverson was, both very high volume shooters even into their 30s after tip of their primes); I was VERY impressed by the Pistons. He made a bunch of nobodies into stars and those nobodies beat one hell of a Lakers squad (granted that Malone was injured). If he is willing to coach again at 70... health-permitting, of course.

Coach K would also be very good but he is unlikely to leave college (I am sure he would consider it if Buss/Kobe/P-Jax on his way out of the office tried to make a push for him tho). Byron Scott and Avery Johnson, whom I both considered very good choices, are also gone. I wonder if somebody like Jim Boheim would move from college to NBA? I know the transition would be difficult without having any NBA pedigree; Coach K has coached NBA players many times before in olympics and FIBA and other such things so he has experience in that. I don't know how many other college coaches have some sort of successful NBA experience.

To be honest, I am not a fan of letting our assistant coaches like Hanblem or Shaw or Person take over. It is true that we would be able to keep the triangle offense but without Phil here, triangle offense just wouldn't be the same. Tex Winters and Phil Jackson are the 2 guys that know everything about the triangle offense, but the same cannot be said for the assistant coaches. I don't know about you guys but I would rather bring in a new coach with a new system instead of trying to see how our assistant coaches would do with the triangle offense.
bladefd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:15 PM   #36
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladefd
What guys would you put as potential Laker head-coach once Phil officially retires at the end of this season?

I will throw around a few names; a few of them are not likely but couple may be.

I think somebody like Larry Brown or Popovich or Riley or Sloan would be great with the current team we have if we are looking at somebody to replace our current coaching staff after Phil officially retires. Obviously Pop, Sloan and Riley aren't going anywhere.

I dunno if Larry Brown would be willing to coach at 70. He was great at making the best out of his squads and maximizing their team potential (dunno if Kobe would be a road-block in the way like Iverson was, both very high volume shooters even into their 30s after tip of their primes); I was VERY impressed by the Pistons. He made a bunch of nobodies into stars and those nobodies beat one hell of a Lakers squad (granted that Malone was injured). If he is willing to coach again at 70... health-permitting, of course.

Coach K would also be very good but he is unlikely to leave college (I am sure he would consider it if Buss/Kobe/P-Jax on his way out of the office tried to make a push for him tho). Byron Scott and Avery Johnson, whom I both considered very good choices, are also gone. I wonder if somebody like Jim Boheim would move from college to NBA? I know the transition would be difficult without having any NBA pedigree; Coach K has coached NBA players many times before in olympics and FIBA and other such things so he has experience in that. I don't know how many other college coaches have some sort of successful NBA experience.

To be honest, I am not a fan of letting our assistant coaches like Hanblem or Shaw or Person take over. It is true that we would be able to keep the triangle offense but without Phil here, triangle offense just wouldn't be the same. Tex Winters and Phil Jackson are the 2 guys that know everything about the triangle offense, but the same cannot be said for the assistant coaches. I don't know about you guys but I would rather bring in a new coach with a new system instead of trying to see how our assistant coaches would do with the triangle offense.

Those coaches you listed could not coach the current Laker squad... they would lose those players in nothing flat... It is important to look at people dynamics and situational dynamics before throwing out names... and it is important to appreciate what Pjax has done with this team and how he has managed the strong and diverse personalities.

The only one that could probably pull it off is Coach K, and he's not even interested in the job.

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:21 PM   #37
Lakerlove420
a LAKER & a DODGER fan

Lakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike
Those coaches you listed could not coach the current Laker squad... they would lose those players in nothing flat... It is important to look at people dynamics and situational dynamics before throwing out names... and it is important to appreciate what Pjax has done with this team and how he has managed the strong and diverse personalities.

The only one that could probably pull it off is Coach K, and he's not even interested in the job.

so we are doomed you are saying?

what do you think will happen when we have a coach that is not Phil or K??
Lakerlove420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:34 PM   #38
SoCalMike

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakerlove420
so we are doomed you are saying?

what do you think will happen when we have a coach that is not Phil or K??

i am saying that it is a big problem, particularly given the roster assembled... i am also saying that i dont have an immediate answer and i am not gonna shot gun my answer like so many do on these message boards...

i am sure the laker organization is thinking this through in the same methodical way... i think pjax has a huge impact on this current roster's championship aspirations, and when he retires, it could mean a LOT of change for the lakers... and while that is not always a bad thing, it just means that a strategic plan does need to be thought out and put in place.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:24 PM   #39
bladefd
Good college starter

bladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

Well, most of the people I listed were just the type of coach that could light a fire under these players (Byron Scott is the only guy I listed that doesn't seem very strict). It was just an example of the type of coaches I would consider.

Since we are on the topic, lets look at it anyways. You really don't think people like Popovich, Sloan, Larry Brown or Riley can coach this Laker squad? Of course, I know 3 of those wouldn't leave their current position, but we are talking potentially if they were free to do it. Avery Johnson? Byron Scott? None of them are capable enough or good enough to coach this Laker squad? Popovich is arguably the best active coach in the NBA right now (with the exception of P-Jax). You surprise me, Mike.

P-Jax is great at what he does and what he has done and I appreciate everything he has done as arguably the greatest coach in nba history, but to flatly say that none of those other coaches (of which 3 of them are in the HOF and Popovich eventually will join them) could keep this team together... I will ask you what I asked DKLaker: Who do you recommend then? Are you thinking that our assistant coaches are perfect for taking the head-coach job? If guys like Popovich, Brown, Riley are not able to control this team, I have no idea who you would take. Red Aurbach? John Wooden? Chuck Daly? Phil Jackson with an rejuvenation potion?

Sorry for the sarcasm but I just had to make my point even as harshly as it might sound.

I see that you are saying that this team was built for PJax and he had a major impact on who was recruited onto the current roster, but there have been plenty of teams that were successful under different headcoaches. We have a lot of super-versatile players, but that is a topic that can be discussed in another post.

Last edited by bladefd : 01-05-2011 at 08:27 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:38 PM   #40
SoCalMike

Quote:
Well, most of the people I listed were just the type of coach that could light a fire under these players (Byron Scott is the only guy I listed that doesn't seem very strict). It was just an example of the type of coaches I would consider.

Since we are on the topic, lets look at it anyways. You really don't think people like Popovich, Sloan, Larry Brown or Riley can coach this Laker squad? Of course, I know 3 of those wouldn't leave their current position, but we are talking potentially if they were free to do it. Avery Johnson? Byron Scott? None of them are capable enough or good enough to coach this Laker squad? Popovich is arguably the best active coach in the NBA right now (with the exception of P-Jax). You surprise me, Mike.

P-Jax is great at what he does and what he has done and I appreciate everything he has done as arguably the greatest coach in nba history, but to flatly say that none of those other coaches (of which 3 of them are in the HOF and Popovich eventually will join them) could keep this team together... I will ask you what I asked DKLaker: Who do you recommend then? Are you thinking that our assistant coaches are perfect for taking the head-coach job? If guys like Popovich, Brown, Riley are not able to control this team, I have no idea who you would take. Red Aurbach? John Wooden? Chuck Daly? Phil Jackson with an rejuvenation potion?

Sorry for the sarcasm but I just had to make my point even as harshly as it might sound.

ok, first off, hold up... stop with the incendiary writing... perhaps you are kidding, or perhaps its your writing style, but i don't appreciate it because nothing i said warranted it. you say its sarcasm - i don't care for it and i don't do it to you.

now, you want to simplify everything which is not realistic and is sophomoric... i have to admit, i also missed Pop on there, and i think he could do a great job... but why not be realistic in the discussion... Pop and Coach K are not available.. neither is Sloan... and Brown is not the right guy, nor is Riley, Scott, etc...

you want a simple answer to a complex issue, and i am simply not going to give it to you because i admit i am not sure who the right person is... but from the available pool of coaches that could be available, i don't like any of them. i know what i don't like, but that's the easy part... and all you arm chair message board junkies and bloggers can opine all you want, but at least have a well thought out argument rather than going down your list of coaches without merit.

ok, while writing my rant above, i will take one guess based on the personality of the laker organization.. which is that the next coach will be chosen from internal candidates as they are loyal to the laker "family" which is a Jerry Buss trait. Am i 100% correct? who the heck knows...nobody here, that's for sure.

again, keep it civil.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:36 PM   #41
chris2010
Good High School Starter

chris2010 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angrychris2010 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angrychris2010 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

We definitely need to improve the defense. I mean us being good on offense certainly helps but in the playoffs it always comes down to D. Like back in 08 we were a great offense going up against the celtic defense and we lost. So yeah, if we correct the defense and keep up our offensive flow (meaning have pau be our focal point) we could be almost unstoppable.

Not trying to sound like captain obvious so if I did my bad
chris2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:41 PM   #42
bladefd
Good college starter

Quote:
ok, first off, hold up... stop with the incendiary writing... perhaps you are kidding, or perhaps its your writing style, but i don't appreciate it because nothing i said warranted it. you say its sarcasm - i don't care for it and i don't do it to you.

now, you want to simplify everything which is not realistic and is sophomoric... i have to admit, i also missed Pop on there, and i think he could do a great job... but why not be realistic in the discussion... Pop and Coach K are not available.. neither is Sloan... and Brown is not the right guy, nor is Riley, Scott, etc...

you want a simple answer to a complex issue, and i am simply not going to give it to you because i admit i am not sure who the right person is... but from the available pool of coaches that could be available, i don't like any of them. i know what i don't like, but that's the easy part... and all you arm chair message board junkies and bloggers can opine all you want, but at least have a well thought out argument rather than going down your list of coaches without merit.

ok, while writing my rant above, i will take one guess based on the personality of the laker organization.. which is that the next coach will be chosen from internal candidates as they are loyal to the laker "family" which is a Jerry Buss trait. Am i 100% correct? who the heck knows...nobody here, that's for sure.

again, keep it civil.

Few things:
-I admit I was being too harsh, and I apologize for that. I am sure if you remember my posts over the years, you will notice that I use sarcasm at times, especially when I feel frustrated by somebody's argument that I feel doesn't make sense (to me at least). If you read my posts in the general forums, I use sarcasm mostly against homers. If somebody is a Kobe homer, I become very sarcastic. If somebody is a Jordan homer, I become very sarcastic. I will be completely honest here (you might not like it but I just want you to see why I was being sarcastic in that last post).

I just felt like you were being a Phil Jackson homer in every post you have made and it was just getting onto my nerves. You kept bringing up Phil Jackson and telling me to appreciate and respect Phil Jackson when I did not make a single mention of him to the post I made towards DKLaker. I felt like almost every argument you made somehow ended up back to "Phil Jackson is great, no other coach comes close" type of thought. I told you that Phil is arguably the greatest coach ever, but for you to keep telling me to appreciate Phil more, etc in almost every post was a bit too far to the point that I finally had to use sarcasm.

Second, you told me that none of those other coaches would work out but you didn't explain why those coaches won't work with this Laker squad. All you said is to look at the peoples dynamics and situational dynamics and because of that, none of those coaches would work. You can say that about any coach for any team ever to exist in NBA history or for any sports for that matter. That doesn't make your argument or my argument more right.

Again, if I angered you, I apologize but understand the reason. Remember, all we can do is speculate, and speculation is what I was doing by listing those different coaches that I felt would be strict, somewhat D-minded coaches and successful enough to be the successor of Phil Jackson.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:21 PM   #43
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Some of the comments about individual players here are just a bit too dramatic, specifically the toughness factor. There was a point in time last season when Pau had gone soft for some time, but gathered himself in the playoffs. Ron Artest struggled all of last season, and got better in the playoffs. they're still trying to figure out things together because some of these guys have new roles now. Kobe's skills have now obviously diminished. We've talked about him becoming a facilitator when that happens, still hasn't become the facilitator. Might be a good time.

The concerns I have are much to do with the guard position which might anger some people in here. We're too old, flat out and simple. Not hating on any certain player here, but every night our point guard gets destroyed on the defensive end, and offensively hasn't been much of a factor. I appreciate the clutch playoff memories, but we must get to the playoffs first, and in order to do that we need to be playing with much energy. This can come from younger energetic defending guards. Even if it is some third string young defensive minded PG, that'll make a difference. But we cannot keep ignoring this situation as the guards are what get the offense and defense started.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:22 AM   #44
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

DKLaker has not been impressing people

Quote:

Haha.....I'm glad it was you not me who brought up the don't talk about Phil, or it's like talking about my Momma......protectionists......lmao

I've said it for many years and the league knows that none of the Lakers assistant coaches are capable of being a succesful head coach.......they are marginal in the jobs they already have....at best.
Before seeing these guys this season I thought Shaw could do it, maybe he could...but only if he dumps the Triangle, has Kobe's full support and is willing to be tough.....but smooth at the same time.
Brown, Pop Avery Sloan, Riley could VERY EASILY win with this group of players at this time, at least for 3 years until burnout.
A college coach with the exception of coach K would have no chance with this group.....as I mentioned, a college coach talks to players differently.....a way that these pampered pro players would object to, a college coach is going to demand more of his players every game and will not accept taking nights off...ahem....many nights off...lol. There would be immediate head butting, whining and disputes. Who's available......I hadn't even thought of it until now.....i'll get back to you later on that one.

Yep....Lakerfreak, our PG position is in crisis state, Blake was supposed to shore things up but he seems overwhelmed by the talent around him, he seems tense, unsure, offensively passive and soft on defense....he's making minor strides in rebounding and going after loose balls......he was horrible at this....now he's just bad. A decent defensive Pg would save us 20 points a game....not just on scoring but assists, loose balls etc. Making even those blowouts into close games. Our biggest bargaining chip was Sasha and we wasted him on Joe Smith AND gave up our 1st round pick Oh well, the FO had been brilliant up until this.
Maybe there's a miracle....a taker for Luke.....nah....lol....rings of Pau for Kwame....lol.
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:30 AM   #45
Coop-A-Loop
I can handle it!!!

Coop-A-Loop is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCoop-A-Loop is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCoop-A-Loop is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCoop-A-Loop is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCoop-A-Loop is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCoop-A-Loop is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCoop-A-Loop is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCoop-A-Loop is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCoop-A-Loop is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCoop-A-Loop is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

This is a pretty good take on the state of the Lakers from a decent writer:

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/40931865/ns/sports-nba/
Coop-A-Loop is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: