Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Clippers Forum

Los Angeles Clippers Forum Clippers message board - clippers fan forum

Old 12-13-2010, 12:40 PM   #1
clipps
Good college starter

clipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputation
Default Who stays with us; Who goes?

It's been a frustrating season due to the fact that we are a lot better than our record tells us. At least we've seen some good things when it comes to individual performances. But at the same time, there are some issues that we have and we have to make changes in order for us to flourish in the future. First, I'll start with the positives.

Blake Griffin: this one is obvious. This guy is going to be one of the best players in the league. He has brought the electricity to the Clippers that we haven't seen since the DMiles days. As good as he is, we can't rely on a rookie to win us games. Fortunately he's a rookie and has a lot of room for improvement. He has shown a variety of weapons in his arsenal. He has also shown at times is the ability to hit the midrange jumper. As dangerous as he is, this guy will be scary if he developes a consistant jumper similar to that one guy named Brand.

Eric Gordon. Definitely a great compliment to Blake Griffin. He is what we need in a 2 guard. He can shoot, slash, and be reliable in the 4th quarter. He's still young so he makes the few expected mistakes. The Clippers need to build around Gordon and Griffin. Both of them are future top 5's in their respected positions.

Aminu: still young obviously but the guy is athletic and can shoot 3 pointers. I can see this guy as the 3rd option in a few years.

Bledsoe: has a lot to learn but he's another key player to keep in the nucleus

Brian Cook: this guy has surprised me with some of the big plays he's made. By no means he's a starter but we need to keep him around for a couple of years and he'll give us some spark off the bench.

Resual Butler: had a down season but the guy can shoot and we need that off the bench.

DeAndre Jordan: brings a lot of energy, a very energetic hard working player. If only he can shoot better from the line, because of that, he's better off as a spark off the bench.

The maybes-

Chris Kaman: he's had an injury riddled season. Even though he was an all-star, he's best suited as a roll player. A guy that will give you double-double and blocked shots. If he can stay healthy the next couple of years, he's worth keeping.

The Bad-

Baron Davis: so far he's been a complete failure. He's a veteran PG that should be helping us but it seems like he turned from a top PG to a complete waste of space. He needs to be traded.
clipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:01 PM   #2
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

ihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Who stays with us; Who goes?

To be honest, it is not really feasible that Baron is out of here. With 3 years on that deal, he is here to stay. So you have to make best of what he brings. I know he has his faults, and takes ill advised shots at times, but he can play the facilitator role, he could really help this squad. His control is much better than Bledsoe. Baron is certainly still playing off the rust, but is he can be a set up guy, it could help.

Butler can have some explosive games, but the guy is a chucker. There are too many times he just looks to shoot and thats even when he is having an off night. He is very expendable. Cook has been a better shooting threat than him and he is actually "trying" to do something on defense.

Obv you want to keep Griff, Gordon, Bledsoe.

I like the upside of Aminu, I say give him a chance. I think he can become a solid defensive player, and this is what the Clipps need.

I'd keep Deandre, I like his energy. But he has fumblitits, guess he contracted that from Kwame Brown. He is a FA this season, 4 years 16 million maybe for a backup center?

Kaman is one of those guys like Baron that teams dont really want to touch now. If you can find a taker and get something in return (has to be a big) then def. go for it. Otherwise, make the best of what they have with him and ustilize his offense.

All in all, Clippers dont really have much options to move the big contracts. I believe Gordon is up for an extension this summer, its really up in the air if he would even want to return. He has said he would like to be in LA, but after being on such a bad losing team, its gotta be tough. Talent and potential is there with this squad, but havnt we been saying that for years?
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:28 PM   #3
qrich
King Heno

qrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation here

Haven't seen many games, nor been able to post much since I recently moved to AZ, but from what I have seen, there are six players that I would try to keep. The first four are obvious in Bledsoe, Gordon, Aminu and Griffin. But the other two I'd wanna keep around that some might be surprised would be Ryan Gomes and Craig Smith. With Jordan being a UFA, I won't be surprised if some team offers him something like 4/30, and I would be hesistant to give him that, but something like 3/15 would be perfect.

I'd keep Gomes because he seems to be the glue type of guy that every team should have. Never complains, and always gives full effort. Plus, his versatility will allow him to play the 3 and the 4. Craig Smith because bench scoring is vital and we all know how good Rhino is at scoring.

I'd look to deal Baron at the deadline, and if nothing is available, just hope that Blake can somehow motivate Baron to be ready for next season. Kaman though, should be gone by the deadline. Dump him to the Thunder for Krstic & Green or even just let him go cheap to Atlanta for Pachulia and whatever other expiring contracts and a couple of first rounders.
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:48 PM   #4
Al Thornton
the mind is so complex

Al Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

deandre jordan is a must, moreso than aminu. he is the best friend of blake griffin, they have that chemistry up front, and he is the defensive anchor, unless they get dwight howard at some point, they have to keep jordan. he has improved this year more than gordon. this is the starting lineup

bledsoe
gordon
aminu
griffin
jordan

gomes and smith and even cook should come back, rest gotta go, they either suck or don't fit.
Al Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 04:54 PM   #5
ZeN
RichardRiderLives

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

The one that should go, but wont.. is Sterling. There wont be any organizational forward movement until hes no longer the captain of the ship.

Davis and Kaman should go but I dont see anyone biting on their contracts.

I think the Clipps should go all Thunder on their roster and build for the future. Its fine if they dont win big now.. but at least build a young roster that will progress into a good team a couple of years from now. The way they are trying to patch a team up now, will only keep the in the gutter without any chance for building something.. only stagnant lateral movement.
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:28 PM   #6
qrich
King Heno

qrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Thornton
deandre jordan is a must, moreso than aminu. he is the best friend of blake griffin, they have that chemistry up front, and he is the defensive anchor, unless they get dwight howard at some point, they have to keep jordan. he has improved this year more than gordon. this is the starting lineup

bledsoe
gordon
aminu
griffin
jordan

gomes and smith and even cook should come back, rest gotta go, they either suck or don't fit.

I don't think either are musts, but would you be willing to give DeAndre a 5/35 type of contract? If it was a 3/21, that's fine since it isn't long term, but I'd be hesitant on giving him about 7 mil a year for the next five, and I'm sure some team (OKC?) would be willing to do so.

Oh, Randy Foye is someone else that HAS to go
Old 12-15-2010, 11:11 PM   #7
Al Thornton
the mind is so complex

Al Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by qrich
I don't think either are musts, but would you be willing to give DeAndre a 5/35 type of contract? If it was a 3/21, that's fine since it isn't long term, but I'd be hesitant on giving him about 7 mil a year for the next five, and I'm sure some team (OKC?) would be willing to do so.

Oh, Randy Foye is someone else that HAS to go

don't think he would get that much offered by any team, and it seems obvious he wants to stay with the clips.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:14 AM   #8
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

ihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
don't think he would get that much offered by any team, and it seems obvious he wants to stay with the clips.

I wouldn't assume anyone wants to stay with the Clippers. The weather is nice, but it's really one of the worst franchises to play for.

That being said, I really hope he does stay. He is not worth a ton of $$, but you need a defensive big playing alongside Griffin. Especially since Griffin is not a shot blocker.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:49 AM   #9
Al Thornton
the mind is so complex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetimthomas
I wouldn't assume anyone wants to stay with the Clippers. The weather is nice, but it's really one of the worst franchises to play for.

That being said, I really hope he does stay. He is not worth a ton of $$, but you need a defensive big playing alongside Griffin. Especially since Griffin is not a shot blocker.

that applies to vets, such as rasual butler or randy foye, but deandre wants to be here. and its not just about his play, he has developed nicely, but he's a great guy, hes a very good friend of the franchise's best player, and he's been here 3 years. the changing of the roster every single year ****s everything up, you have to stick with a unit and grow.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:43 PM   #10
qrich
King Heno

Quote:

A young 7 footer with potential, I'm sure at least one team will offer him that much, such as the Thunder who do need a shot blocking big man. I also can't see Olshey/Sterling offering him more than a 5/27.5 type of deal, which sounds just about right, but I'd love to give him a 3/18 with a team option for year 4 because it'll give him another contract to keep improving him for and if he busts, he'll only be on our hands for 3 years.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:30 PM   #11
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by qrich
A young 7 footer with potential, I'm sure at least one team will offer him that much, such as the Thunder who do need a shot blocking big man. I also can't see Olshey/Sterling offering him more than a 5/27.5 type of deal, which sounds just about right, but I'd love to give him a 3/18 with a team option for year 4 because it'll give him another contract to keep improving him for and if he busts, he'll only be on our hands for 3 years.

Yeah, I was thinking a 3 year deal would be best. But I am really liking the duo of Jordan and Griffin. Griffin really needs to play alongside a defensive player who can alter shots. Kaman is a bad fit alongside Griffin given his skillset
Old 12-26-2010, 02:14 AM   #12
RandyOrton
OKC

RandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Young team and should keep these guys:
bledsoe
gordon
aminu
griffin
jordan
i couldn't give a rats ass about the rest.
RandyOrton is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: