Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 12-31-2010, 07:12 PM   #1
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

carpevicis has an OK reputation so far
Default What are your 2011 basketball resolutions?

And did you get everything you wanted to get done in 2010?

For me, have to touch rim this year. And get the pull up jumper down.

Today, I finally broke the 300 pound mark with a 305lb deadlift. Feels so good
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 07:16 PM   #2
Birmingham1955
High school junior varsity star

Birmingham1955 has no real reputation yet.
Default Re: What are your 2011 basketball resolutions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpevicis
And did you get everything you wanted to get done in 2010?

For me, have to touch rim this year. And get the pull up jumper down.

Today, I finally broke the 300 pound mark with a 305lb deadlift. Feels so good

Are you going to play AAU ball, how has your progress been on your game since tryouts
Birmingham1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 08:11 PM   #3
SourPatchKids
Banned

SourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Get quicker on my feet, work on my post game.
SourPatchKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:58 PM   #4
DWRIGHTWAY
Banned

DWRIGHTWAY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDWRIGHTWAY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDWRIGHTWAY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDWRIGHTWAY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDWRIGHTWAY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDWRIGHTWAY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDWRIGHTWAY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDWRIGHTWAY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDWRIGHTWAY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDWRIGHTWAY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDWRIGHTWAY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

better footwork
DWRIGHTWAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:18 PM   #5
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham1955
Are you going to play AAU ball, how has your progress been on your game since tryouts

Yeah I definitely am. I've gotten much stronger and faster since tryouts. My defense has improved, but my shot needs to be changed. I still have a couple months before the spring season starts so I'm going to tweak it a little.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:00 AM   #6
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

same as last year... get healthy.

fml
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 05:31 AM   #7
bobbyflay
Kids at the park dunk on me

bobbyflay has an OK reputation so far

DAM 305 POUNDS? I feel so weak lol. I'm only doing around 50 pounds on each side. It makes me kind of less hopeful, because I pretty much trained in plyometrics without even knowing it but didn't train in strength training. I thought that it would get me enough of a foundation to dunk by this summer but dam even 300 pounds is not enough?

Some of my resolutions are to just dunk on a 10'0 rim(losing hope because I watched some videos on dunking and some people are born with the capability to dunk and the rest aren't and now that story you had), shoot college 3's 70% in practice and 50% nba 3's, become maybe about 25% better in my left hand then my right hand from 2010, and improve my right hand like 50% in finishing in traffic and maybe shooting pullup 8 feet left hand, and learn how to play the game with set rules and plays(might join a program this summer).
bobbyflay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:25 AM   #8
Grafbag

Grafbag has an OK reputation so far

1. Dunk
2. Improve agility
3. Improve defense
4. Overall better shooting, especially focusing more on 3 pointers.
Grafbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:39 AM   #9
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflay
DAM 305 POUNDS? I feel so weak lol. I'm only doing around 50 pounds on each side. It makes me kind of less hopeful, because I pretty much trained in plyometrics without even knowing it but didn't train in strength training. I thought that it would get me enough of a foundation to dunk by this summer but dam even 300 pounds is not enough?

Some of my resolutions are to just dunk on a 10'0 rim(losing hope because I watched some videos on dunking and some people are born with the capability to dunk and the rest aren't and now that story you had), shoot college 3's 70% in practice and 50% nba 3's, become maybe about 25% better in my left hand then my right hand from 2010, and improve my right hand like 50% in finishing in traffic and maybe shooting pullup 8 feet left hand, and learn how to play the game with set rules and plays(might join a program this summer).

No, no man you're getting it all wrong. I'm not training to jump higher, I'm training to get stronger. The jumping higher is a side effect, but for the most part, I'm making very little gains in terms of actual jumping. Also factor in that I'm very short. My arms are very, very short - my standing reach is 6'11". So in order to touch rim, I'd need Kobe's vertical (37 inches).

How much you can lift has no direct correlation to how high you can jump. I mean it does in a way, but just personally. I might be able to lift more than other high school athletes, but there are many of them that can dunk and I can't. 300 pounds isn't a set guideline for touching rim. There are none - it varies by player.

Keep with it. The deadlift is a really good lift because you develop total body strength. A couple months ago I couldn't do 135.

And you should know that it's ideal to develop a base level of strength before doing plyometrics. Plyos are very stressing on the body and without that level of strength, you'll most likely injure yourself or not get maximal results. Most people go by 1.5x bodyweight squat as the strength level. If you can't do this, you should start a heavy lifting program asap, as it will help your game much more than having good jumping ability.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:31 AM   #10
DWRIGHTWAY
Banned

DWRIGHTWAY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDWRIGHTWAY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDWRIGHTWAY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDWRIGHTWAY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDWRIGHTWAY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDWRIGHTWAY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDWRIGHTWAY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDWRIGHTWAY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDWRIGHTWAY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDWRIGHTWAY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDWRIGHTWAY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

dunks
Old 01-01-2011, 02:11 PM   #11
bobbyflay

bobbyflay has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpevicis
No, no man you're getting it all wrong. I'm not training to jump higher, I'm training to get stronger. The jumping higher is a side effect, but for the most part, I'm making very little gains in terms of actual jumping. Also factor in that I'm very short. My arms are very, very short - my standing reach is 6'11". So in order to touch rim, I'd need Kobe's vertical (37 inches).

How much you can lift has no direct correlation to how high you can jump. I mean it does in a way, but just personally. I might be able to lift more than other high school athletes, but there are many of them that can dunk and I can't. 300 pounds isn't a set guideline for touching rim. There are none - it varies by player.

Keep with it. The deadlift is a really good lift because you develop total body strength. A couple months ago I couldn't do 135.

And you should know that it's ideal to develop a base level of strength before doing plyometrics. Plyos are very stressing on the body and without that level of strength, you'll most likely injure yourself or not get maximal results. Most people go by 1.5x bodyweight squat as the strength level. If you can't do this, you should start a heavy lifting program asap, as it will help your game much more than having good jumping ability.

Oh, I see what you mean now. I probably overacted, because a month a go I just started looking up the ideas of plyometrics and physics of jumping. They were mostly all positive about gaining vertical jump inches, so I started doing sort of a variation of the vertical jump bible(added in upper body workout/added full body exercises in exchange for taking some out). Even though the information was real, I later found out more that the human body just has limits and yeah..

Yeah, I'm starting to develop my foundation of strength(hopefully in 2 months or so). I guess only hard work and time will tell in the following year. I got new motivation from this and others of trying to ask for motivation to train outside in the winter. I realized that I wasn't dedicated enough to train outside in 40 degrees while the other guys were training in 30 degrees. I know it's time to get serious now. Let's do this!
bobbyflay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 05:09 PM   #12
RandyOrton
OKC

RandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

improve my jumper some more
RandyOrton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 05:49 PM   #13
Nova6
Decent playground baller

Nova6 has decent reputation

get better at driving
Nova6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 06:25 PM   #14
DWRIGHTWAY
Banned

i need to work on my speed
Old 01-02-2011, 12:18 AM   #15
MannyO
Super Cool E

MannyO has decent reputation

1. maximize my potential
2. Increase my focus
3. Become a leader
4. Get my team some wins
5. Start putting up big scoring nights
MannyO is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: