Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-02-2011, 10:49 AM   #16
DonD13
glew up ☆

DonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: I'm quitting smoking.

Since I've failed last time I wont to make it better the next time. And I don't want to be one of those people who quit smoking but start smoking days later over and over again and complaining while they smoking like 'man I shouldn't do this blabla'...
So I've been thinking bout this sht lately.
I try to share some of my thoughts.

1) Be aware that you're not aloud to smoke a cigarette for the rest of you life
not one. never. ever ever ever. This is extremly important and the reason why most people fail. Chew on that. The thing is that one cigarettes causes no harm and there are a lot of part-time smokers who doing just fine with smoking at spezial occasions. But no cigarettes for you sir. never.

2)Realize all the good thing smoking brought for you
People saying it's just rubbish: you lose money and you ruin your health and so on. If you right now believe that smoking is just bs, you will have a haaaard time. You have to think on all the positiv as well. You have to, because if it's really just bs you would not smoke and this trigger-situations will come along. They will. The positive is diffrent for everyone. It might be: The cigarette after eating, the cigarette with the coffee, the cigarette after sex, the cigarettes when you're drunk, the fck-ya-I'm-going-out-for-a-smoke-cigarette, the peaceful I've-done-my-job-and-chill-outside-and-stare-in-the-sky-cigarrette, the I'm-waiting-for-the-train-cigarette, the look-at-me-I'm-anti-cigarette...
You have to find a way to deal with the loss of that.

3)Keep yourself motivated
Do yourself something good for some time as a non-smoker. And remember all the good you're doing for your health. Maybe a good book which shows all the consequences will help. (Don't buy this shocking bs, most smokers never lose their legs...)

Consider medical help and get chewing gums or whatever. People will say it's all in your head and you just have to have the will but I know people which are glad they had that help. The nicotine-addiction is a very subtle, tricky thing. Don't underestimate the addiction.

And if you're a weed-smoker: Don't compensate your cigarettes with weed... That happend to me...
DonD13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:52 AM   #17
kaiteng
CONGRATS MAN XD

kaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonD13
2)Realize all the good thing smoking brought for you

This is why cigs always have an upper-hand over you addicts.
kaiteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:53 AM   #18
DonD13
glew up ☆

DonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
Stay away from anyone who smokes as much as possible. Most of the battle's keeping your mind off it, was for me anyway.

why? You can't run away from your friend forever. You have to deal with it.
The thing is people restarted smoking after years.
I guy who worked with me (he is 50 years old and stopped at 30 years) told me that sometimes he still thinks of having a cigarette... after 20 years...
Old 01-02-2011, 10:55 AM   #19
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

InspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
The thing is people restarted smoking after years.
I guy who worked with me (he is 50 years old and stopped at 30 years) told me that sometimes he still thinks of having a cigarette... after 20 years...
I don't. I smoked from about 19-25, been 10ish months since I stopped, never think about it now.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:55 AM   #20
DonD13
glew up ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiteng

This is why cigs always have an upper-hand over you addicts.

maybe.
but I think the blinding out of this makes so many people fail with stoping
I might be wrong lol
Old 01-02-2011, 10:56 AM   #21
DonD13
glew up ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
I don't. I smoked from about 19-25, been 10ish months since I stopped, never think about it now.

cool.
Yeah it's diffrent for everyone...
Old 01-02-2011, 10:56 AM   #22
kaiteng
CONGRATS MAN XD

kaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Absolutely right.

You just have to create your hatred over cigs that will make you never touch them ever again in any tempting circumstances in your head. Mine? I totally detest the smell, and one of smokers I know is a cousin I also detest.
kaiteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:56 AM   #23
Abd El-Krim
Decent college freshman

Abd El-Krim has an incredible reputation hereAbd El-Krim has an incredible reputation hereAbd El-Krim has an incredible reputation hereAbd El-Krim has an incredible reputation hereAbd El-Krim has an incredible reputation hereAbd El-Krim has an incredible reputation hereAbd El-Krim has an incredible reputation hereAbd El-Krim has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
the cigarette with the coffee

Dude, I'm an ex-smoker drinking coffee right now. Bringing this up is just not cool.
Abd El-Krim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:04 AM   #24
ShaqAttack3234
7-time NBA All-Star

ShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Good luck, personally, I haven't thought about quitting. I smoke around 2 packs a day, and yes, I'm another person who enjoys coffee with cigarettes. Probably drink a dozen cups of coffee a day, and that may be a conservative estimate.

But quitting can be tough, I've seen it a lot with other people.
ShaqAttack3234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:16 AM   #25
step_back
College superstar

step_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Best of luck, Making the choice to make an effort to give up is difficult in itself.
step_back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:11 PM   #26
SayTownRy
Regular Season Team

SayTownRy is considered somewhat coolSayTownRy is considered somewhat coolSayTownRy is considered somewhat cool

good luck man.

i smoked my first cig when i was 14 and smoked pretty steadily from the ages of 16-24.

quitting cold turkey worked for me. i got really sick for about 2 weeks and just flat out didn't want one so that helped me jump start the process. i also started getting in shape as i quit. started mountain biking as much as i could and started to really embrace the fact that my breathing and stamina were improving on longer rides.

i'd really advise you to immerse yourself in physical activity as that's when you can reap tangible benefits and it just feels great. keeps giving you a better outlook on the whole quitting process.

the hardest part for me was going out to bars and just drinking in general. the smoking ban here doesn't go into effect for another year here, so almost every bar here is inundated with smoke. i had to learn to be around smoke and want a cig so bad, but not have one. then i had to learn to like this self-deprivation in an almost masochistic sense. you always feel like a million bucks when you wake up the next morning and know you made it through the night, completely wasted, and didn't have a smoke.

that said it's been 4 years and 4 months since i've had a cig and although the times i want a cig are fewer and farther between, i still get the itch and recent studies show that just one freaking cigarette can have detrimental effects on your dna.
SayTownRy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:29 PM   #27
enayes
Decent college freshman

enayes is a pretty well-respected posterenayes is a pretty well-respected posterenayes is a pretty well-respected poster

+1 for the physical activity, if you can get focused on a healthy hobby it will be easier to take your mind away from the idea of smoking
enayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:48 PM   #28
FatComputerNerd
Decent college freshman

FatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Good luck, I hope you make it.

I've been thinking of quitting myself lately. I did quit once before, a few years back. It was ultimately unsuccessful but I managed to stay off them for a good 10 months or so before buying a pack one day during a moment of weakness. That time I had initially used the patch (first month or so only, I didn't do the "steps") and it did help a lot.

Keep us posted on your success. Maybe it will help motivate me to give another go at it too. =)
FatComputerNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:07 PM   #29
LongBeachLakers
Local High School Star

LongBeachLakers has an OK reputation so far

Glad that I don't smoke. I need my lungs for the sports and activities I enjoy doing.

It's a good feeling being in damn good shape too...
LongBeachLakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:49 PM   #30
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

one year before the world blows up and doomsday decides to quit smoking for his health?
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: