Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-02-2011, 04:59 PM   #31
Stuckey
ifirtworld

Default Re: I'm quitting smoking.

tried quitting at least 3 times, i just love nicotine going through my body and it's an oral fixation too

ill quit some day.......... yeah
Stuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:09 PM   #32
IcanzIIravor
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
one year before the world blows up and doomsday decides to quit smoking for his health?

This thought did come into my head as well.
IcanzIIravor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:41 AM   #33
kaiteng
CONGRATS MAN XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
one year before the world blows up and doomsday decides to quit smoking for his health?
Whatever. I thought the End of the World was yesterday, and I was wrong many times.
kaiteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:16 AM   #34
Stuckey
ifirtworld

how many times did it take you guys to quit smoking? and what method did u use?
Old 01-03-2011, 01:23 AM   #35
Abd El-Krim
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuckey
how many times did it take you guys to quit smoking? and what method did u use?

Before I actually stopped, I first cut down on the ritual smoking. No cig when first waking up, no cig after a meal, no cig before bed, etc. This got me down to probably 4-5 per day.

Around that point I told everybody I knew that I had quit, and was forced to smoke when nobody else was around. And I couldn't reek of smoke either. Anyway, eventually I was down to just one or two per day whenever I could sneak them at which point stopping was easy.

One other thing I did was always keep cigarettes in the house, for months after I quit. The strongest ingrained behavior for me was buying cigarettes when I didn't have any. If the thought occurred to me that I had no cigarettes, muscle memory kicked in and 20 minutes later I was 3 into a new pack. Crazy stuff.
Abd El-Krim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:37 AM   #36
Stuckey
ifirtworld

i hear ya

i'm down to 2 cigarettes a day

only thing keeping me from smoking more is that it costs 10$ a pack here in canada for decent quality

havent found a great reason to quit yet, my friend even offered a bet if i could quit he'd pay me 1000 + vacation but i'd have to pay double if i failed
Old 01-03-2011, 01:39 AM   #37
-playmaker-
-retired ISH HOFer-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abd El-Krim
Before I actually stopped, I first cut down on the ritual smoking. No cig when first waking up, no cig after a meal, no cig before bed, etc. This got me down to probably 4-5 per day.

Around that point I told everybody I knew that I had quit, and was forced to smoke when nobody else was around. And I couldn't reek of smoke either. Anyway, eventually I was down to just one or two per day whenever I could sneak them at which point stopping was easy.

One other thing I did was always keep cigarettes in the house, for months after I quit. The strongest ingrained behavior for me was buying cigarettes when I didn't have any. If the thought occurred to me that I had no cigarettes, muscle memory kicked in and 20 minutes later I was 3 into a new pack. Crazy stuff.
wow, that is really interesting right there...

I have quit now for a while, but I know what you are talking about...if you don't have any smokes, you are going to think about buying them all time...
-playmaker- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:39 AM   #38
Mr. Grieves
He shoots, he bricks.

Good luck dude.

Your body will go through physical and mental withdrawl symptoms and it will be tough.

But mind over matter man. If you have the discipline, it will pass. Nothing hard ever lasts.
Mr. Grieves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:49 AM   #39
1987_Lakers
NBA All-star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidonKs
I was walking to work the other day and I exhaled my cig smoke over my shoulder, directly into the face of a middle aged woman riding her bike. She started coughing and I got out a quick sorry, which she just laughed at. That was awkward.

G'luck on your mission. What's your history? Lifetime smoker? How much do you smoke?

I'm only smoking a pack per week - as dictated by a strict self-enforced rule of only buying on Saturdays - so I still feel like I can quit whenever I want. I did for about three weeks back in early December. I'm a young smoker though, so I'm still enjoying the pros much more than I'm weighing the cons. I'm sure there will be a gradual shift over my life and eventually I'll convince myself to give it up. The limits I set for myself are really helpful though, and stop me from absentmindedly going overboard.

Haha. I do the same except I buy mine on Fridays.
1987_Lakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:57 AM   #40
ShannonElements
turns illusions for $

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidonKs
I was walking to work the other day and I exhaled my cig smoke over my shoulder, directly into the face of a middle aged woman riding her bike. She started coughing and I got out a quick sorry, which she just laughed at. That was awkward.

That kind of shit is annoying, though. I've been a non-smoker my whole life, so even someone walking past me with a lit cigarette while I'm chilling outside my apartment bugs me a bit.

This is a bit of a silly analogy, but imagine if I really really really liked tacos, and while walking past you while eating one threw a bit of it on you.
ShannonElements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:22 AM   #41
artificial
:-P

I quit smoking a couple of months ago, and I'm doing pretty fine. Hope you do well.

For me quitting smoking was relatively easy. It was deciding to quit smoking which was hard for me. And I think that's it, to realize that quitting implies never smoking again, knowing that if you do, your pride will be forever hurt by admitting you are failing.

Honestly, once I was decided and actually quit, the only time I miss smoking badly is when I take a sh*t and at parties after getting drunk.

One thing that helped me is buying a water pipe (I casually got it before quitting). I realized I was uncapable of studying a night without smoking. The water pipe has stepped in, and my life without cigs has been good.

*should have added this: I have smoked for 11 years, been a heavy smoker for 6 years. I started by reducing the cigs before quitting, but before that I had been smoking a pac per two days.

Last edited by artificial : 01-03-2011 at 03:26 AM.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:38 AM   #42
Nobler
The Noble

Im currently in the process of quitting myself, the e-cigarette has done wonders helping. Im smoking about half of what i did and only been in the process of it for about a week. Bought a starter kit from here :
http://www.awesomevapor.com/ pretty sweet so far.
Nobler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:19 AM   #43
Legend of Josh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts

LOL you're a dick sometimes.

Anyway Dooms, if I can beat pain killers - you can beat nicotine.
Legend of Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:02 AM   #44
Riddler
D-94

Starting Now

I'm not going cold turkey either... got the nicotine gum and the nicotine patch (spent $60 on that $hit)
Riddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:03 AM   #45
Riddler
D-94

$hit aint gonna be comfortable for the next few weeks.
Riddler is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: