Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2011, 10:44 AM   #46
Riddler
D-94
 
Riddler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: D-Town
Posts: 5,071
Default Re: I'm quitting smoking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakerlove420

I was trying to tell you about quitnet.com



Now I got my profile set up... my quit time is in about 30 minutes.
Riddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:52 AM   #47
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox
 
Kebab Stall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Grizz-mania
Posts: 10,584
Default Re: I'm quitting smoking.

I've recently started smoking. I hate cigarettes though, unless it's Marlboro lights. So I just buy some rolling tobacco and make them myself. The taste is so much better.

I'm probably on about 5-10 a day. Depends on how I feel.
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:04 AM   #48
Riddler
D-94
 
Riddler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: D-Town
Posts: 5,071
Default Re: I'm quitting smoking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StateProperty
She used that chantix stuff


just saw a commercial for that...

Suicidal Thoughts as a possible side effect.




Nigg@ those people are gonna have Suicidal Thoughts anyway... THEY QUIT SMOKING!!!
Riddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:06 AM   #49
Lakerlove420
a LAKER & a DODGER fan
 
Lakerlove420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: (805) So Cal
Posts: 2,556
Default Re: I'm quitting smoking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddler
Now I got my profile set up... my quit time is in about 30 minutes.

right on.. it's just cool to see how much $ you're saving and everything.
I actually opened up a separate savings "tobacco$" account. And I actually got addicted to saving money for a while. It was crazy. I never have had that before. Within 8 months I had several thousand (for real) and bought a truck.
If I was still smoking I would not have my truck. That's a fact. The more money I saw going into that account the more I wanted to put in. It really was a different feeling for me.

Quitnet has lots of support there. I've spent a little time in the chat rooms there and the people are supportive. There is also "expert chats" like quiting classes that you can partake in. I really mostly just liked the stats it provided.
You can set it to automatically e-mail you your stats everyday or every week or whatever..

I hope you quit dude..
Lakerlove420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:09 AM   #50
Riddler
D-94
 
Riddler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: D-Town
Posts: 5,071
Default Re: I'm quitting smoking.

I Smoke my Merit to the butt like it's the last mother f*cker left.

Last edited by Riddler : 02-16-2011 at 11:12 AM.
Riddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:16 AM   #51
kaiiu
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 7,400
Default Re: I'm quitting smoking.

Fvck a cigarette doe like. Budsmokers only, budsmokers only
kaiiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:20 AM   #52
Riddler
D-94
 
Riddler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: D-Town
Posts: 5,071
Default Re: I'm quitting smoking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakerlove420
I actually opened up a separate savings "tobacco$" account. And I actually got addicted to saving money for a while. It was crazy. I never have had that before. Within 8 months I had several thousand (for real) and bought a truck.
If I was still smoking I would not have my truck. That's a fact. The more money I saw going into that account the more I wanted to put in. It really was a different feeling for me.


I'm gonna do that too.

thanks for the tip.
Riddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:24 AM   #53
Lakerlove420
a LAKER & a DODGER fan
 
Lakerlove420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: (805) So Cal
Posts: 2,556
Default Re: I'm quitting smoking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddler
I'm gonna do that too.

thanks for the tip.

consider the money you drop into that account gone.
It would have been smoked up anyway right?
Just try to forget about it...you will be surprised how fast it stacks up.
Everybodys situation is different..I don't know if you have a good job or what
but try and save and it will feel good ..

(DON'T SMOKE!)
Lakerlove420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:33 AM   #54
Riddler
D-94
 
Riddler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: D-Town
Posts: 5,071
Default Re: I'm quitting smoking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakerlove420
consider the money you drop into that account gone.
It would have been smoked up anyway right?
Just try to forget about it...you will be surprised how fast it stacks up.
Everybodys situation is different..I don't know if you have a good job or what
but try and save and it will feel good ..

(DON'T SMOKE!)



yea but the money I'm going to be spending on food the next few weeks is going to be outrageous.

not to mention the $60 I just spent on the patch and gum.



But eventually... I will be saving money... hopefully I don't replace this habit with food and become a fat @ss.... even for a guy as skinny as me, it's possible.
Riddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:34 AM   #55
Riddler
D-94
 
Riddler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: D-Town
Posts: 5,071
Default Re: I'm quitting smoking.




just smoked my last cigarette... My quit time just started.
Riddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:34 AM   #56
JMT
NBA lottery pick
 
JMT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,659
Default Re: I'm quitting smoking.

Good luck.

I smoked, very casually, while in college. Never did get a hook in me, which I'm thankful for.

BUT...and this is for all the smokers out there...I ended up with a rare genetic deficiency that resulted in a rapidly progressing form of emphysema.
Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency. Usually not detected until mid-life (I was in my 30's). http://alpha1.org/

I went from running hoops with guys half my age to on oxygen, 24/7, in the space of about 5 years.

You have no idea what it's like when your lungs are shutting down. Imagine the most out of breath you've ever been...the scary out of breath...and think about having that desperate need for air all the time. Slowly walking across a room. Bending over. Sitting.

I ended up having a double lung transplant after nearly dying, and am in great health now. My chest hurts ever day from where they sawed through my sternum and wired it back together. I have to take 30 pills a day to guard against rejection, which can h=appen at any time.

Oh, smokers? If you get that sick, they usually won't give you a transplant. Odds of you slipping back into smoking are too high. At best you'll get one lung, which isn't much of an improvement.

I spent my first 25-30 years of life basically ignoring advice given to me. Was pretty sure I knew everything anyway. But if you listen to only one thing in your life, listen to this.

Don't smoke. If you do, quit TODAY.

Good luck! Don't let anyone convince you it's too hard or not worth it. And whatever works for you is the right way to do it.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:36 AM   #57
JMT
NBA lottery pick
 
JMT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,659
Default Re: I'm quitting smoking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddler
yea but the money I'm going to be spending on food the next few weeks is going to be outrageous.

not to mention the $60 I just spent on the patch and gum.



But eventually... I will be saving money... hopefully I don't replace this habit with food and become a fat @ss.... even for a guy as skinny as me, it's possible.

Healthy snacks at hand all the time. Carrots, celery, apples...whatever you can stomach...always around. It'll help guard against the really bad food choices.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:39 AM   #58
Lakerlove420
a LAKER & a DODGER fan
 
Lakerlove420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: (805) So Cal
Posts: 2,556
Default Re: I'm quitting smoking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddler
yea but the money I'm going to be spending on food the next few weeks is going to be outrageous.

not to mention the $60 I just spent on the patch and gum.



But eventually... I will be saving money... hopefully I don't replace this habit with food and become a fat @ss.... even for a guy as skinny as me, it's possible.

I have gained some weight.. also I quit just before turning 30 so. .. the last year and a half I have changed a bit...
now in my 30's and I love food even more now. Things taste..
I have more taste going on... I like food. My taste buds are in full effect now that I quit smoking...


I should go for a jog
Lakerlove420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:39 AM   #59
Riddler
D-94
 
Riddler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: D-Town
Posts: 5,071
Default Re: I'm quitting smoking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakerlove420
consider the money you drop into that account gone.
It would have been smoked up anyway right?
Just try to forget about it...you will be surprised how fast it stacks up.
Everybodys situation is different..I don't know if you have a good job or what
but try and save and it will feel good ..

(DON'T SMOKE!)

oh yea... And most importantly... I'll be having better sex.
Riddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:50 AM   #60
Lakerlove420
a LAKER & a DODGER fan
 
Lakerlove420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: (805) So Cal
Posts: 2,556
Default Re: I'm quitting smoking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT
Good luck.

I smoked, very casually, while in college. Never did get a hook in me, which I'm thankful for.

BUT...and this is for all the smokers out there...I ended up with a rare genetic deficiency that resulted in a rapidly progressing form of emphysema.
Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency. Usually not detected until mid-life (I was in my 30's). http://alpha1.org/

I went from running hoops with guys half my age to on oxygen, 24/7, in the space of about 5 years.

You have no idea what it's like when your lungs are shutting down. Imagine the most out of breath you've ever been...the scary out of breath...and think about having that desperate need for air all the time. Slowly walking across a room. Bending over. Sitting.

I ended up having a double lung transplant after nearly dying, and am in great health now. My chest hurts ever day from where they sawed through my sternum and wired it back together. I have to take 30 pills a day to guard against rejection, which can h=appen at any time.

Oh, smokers? If you get that sick, they usually won't give you a transplant. Odds of you slipping back into smoking are too high. At best you'll get one lung, which isn't much of an improvement.

I spent my first 25-30 years of life basically ignoring advice given to me. Was pretty sure I knew everything anyway. But if you listen to only one thing in your life, listen to this.

Don't smoke. If you do, quit TODAY.

Good luck! Don't let anyone convince you it's too hard or not worth it. And whatever works for you is the right way to do it.

Damn bro... I am so sorry to hear about your lungs and everything that you have been through..
I don't know what to say man... that is rough.

Any of you teenagers (or adults) that come into this thread better learn something from all of this conversation going on. Just quit fellas..
Hard days ahead...best quit today...... please think about it.
Lakerlove420 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:33 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy