Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 01-03-2011, 12:29 PM   #1
Sticks
Serious playground baller

Default Coming off the Bench

So how many of you guys actually prefer this?

I've been a starter for most of my playing career but this year I've been playing for my universities second squad due to time issues and have been playing some games with the 1st team when they were short on players. Now when starting I always feel like I have to get into the flow of the game for the first few minutes, I feel sluggish on defence and slow on offence as well. However when I start on the bench I get hyped up by watching the game, get to see where weaknesses are in the offence and defence of the opponent and am ready to explode the moment I step onto the court.

Being a sixth man is a role I've increasingly started to like and of which I've seen the value more and more. And even though I start on the bench I do get my 25+ minutes so it's not just garbage time against other second units.
Sticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:27 PM   #2
Harrison_Barnes
Local High School Star

Default Re: Coming off the Bench

I prefer to start, but a couple of my friends love coming off the bench for the same reasons you stated. The reason why I like starting is because you start playing when the game is still scoreless and up for grabs. If you come off the bench you don't always have the chance.. Sometimes you'll be thrown in and your team is already losing.. Id rather start and have a chance to prevent that from happening right away.
Harrison_Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:19 PM   #3
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

I prefer coming off the bench, since it gives me a chance to view the game and see how the game is running. Then, as soon as I enter, I can go into the game knowing exactly how the other team plays, while they're clueless about me.

Also, you can really frustrate your opponent when you're fresh and they're tired from playing for a couple minutes.

Last edited by carpevicis : 01-03-2011 at 09:30 PM.
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:32 PM   #4
Grafbag
Kids at the park dunk on me

I prefer starting. I can get warmed up and stretch right before the match, knowing exactly when I'm going on, which gets me into the game quicker. When I start on the bench, I don't really feel as warmed up or as pumped, and it's harder for me to get into the flow of the game.

Also, I've gotten used to winning the jump ball here in my local comp
Grafbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:47 PM   #5
Vince15
Banned

coming off the bench, 1 cause i suck, 2 cause i get to watch the game and get a feel for who to play
Vince15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:01 AM   #6
AJ2k8
Banned

The casual team i play for will only ever have 1 or 2 subs so i'm usually starting... I don't mind starting on the bench though and sometimes i will opt to depending on who's playing but for the most part i'm the main ball handler so the team usually expects me to start
AJ2k8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:03 AM   #7
foutz
Banned

bench playor of givings enorgy
foutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:50 PM   #8
GhostDeini32
serenity now

as long as you are out on the court for around 30 minutes a game, its alllllllllll good.

i am used to each actually. nowadays i gladly come off the bench as long as i get my minutes and touches.

its all about who finishes the game anyway.
GhostDeini32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:53 PM   #9
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

I'm not some kind of star, but throughout my entire school career dating back to elementary school, I'd always started. I knew nothing different.

It wasn't until my post-high school days, when I began picking up on random rec league teams that I sometimes found myself coming in off the bench and in all honesty, I never imagined I'd like it so much. There's definitely something to be said about coming off the bench full of fresh energy ready to wreck house. It was neat to play the unassuming role where a lot of oppenents tend to categorize the skill of the opposing team based off of who starts and who doesn't.

For someone who often struggled to find his groove as a starter (how aggressive to be, what shots to take), coming off the bench seemed to simplify matters. Step into game, make things happen. The only downfall, once I realized I could just as well ignite things while starting the game, was that constant fear of not getting as much playing time. Otherwise, it was a positive experience.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 03:42 AM   #10
B-Rich
I hit open layups

I like to start a lot more. This season, I was both, not sure why. My coach was really bad, with everything. Defenses, Offenses, Subs etc. Anyway, whenever I started, I was so pumped. I got like 10 points in the first quarter, but then he wouldn't play be again till the late third or fourth, be being tight, and feeling down like I did something wrong.

When I came off the bench, I didn't do anything well offensively, just well defensively like I always do. I hate coming off the bench, just makes me feel like I am not needed, especially when one game I played 30 minutes, then the next I come off the bench and play 3.
B-Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:22 AM   #11
Jordan23GOAT
Serious playground baller

I love starting. I got to find out what it feels like to come off the bench though when I got brought up to the higher grade basketball team at the end of my team's season. It didn't quite feel right to come off the bench, it felt like I wasn't has hyped up and excited.
Jordan23GOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:17 AM   #12
sannu123
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticks
So how many of you guys actually prefer this?

I've been a starter for most of my playing career but this year I've been playing for my universities second squad due to time issues and have been playing some games with the 1st team when they were short on players. Now when starting I always feel like I have to get into the flow of the game for the first few minutes, I feel sluggish on defence and slow on offence as well. However when I start on the bench I get hyped up by watching the game, get to see where weaknesses are in the offence and defence of the opponent and am ready to explode the moment I step onto the court.

Being a sixth man is a role I've increasingly started to like and of which I've seen the value more and more. And even though I start on the bench I do get my 25+ minutes so it's not just garbage time against other second units.

WOW !!!!!! it so good post ...thanks for nice sharing in this site,,,,,good luck !
sannu123 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: