Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2011, 04:04 PM   #1
thejumpa
Sonics bandwagoner
 
thejumpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,405
thejumpa is considered somewhat coolthejumpa is considered somewhat cool
Default Don't count Brandon Roy out yet: Looking into meniscus transplant

http://ripcityproject.com/2011/01/03...on-specialist/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip City Project
Within the next two weeks, Blazer management will fly Brandon Roy to meet with one of the world’s most renowned orthopedic surgeons to discuss the possibility of surgery and/or other treatment on Roy’s troubled left knee.

The orthopedic expert is the team doctor for one of the NBA’s other 29 teams. I’m not at liberty to report his name, but he has experience in meniscus transplantation.

The procedure has been performed on some professional athletes who have retired, such as football player Marshall Faulk. It has never been done on an active pro player, however.

It’s hard to know what to make of this. Given that this procedure has never been done on an active athlete, it could be insanely risky on the part of Roy and the Trail Blazers’ medical staff and front office to try it. On the other hand, if they were to opt for this surgery and it were to go as planned, it completely changes the outlook of the Blazers’ future.

By all indications, Roy’s condition can’t be helped anymore by any conventional surgery, because he has almost no meniscus remaining in his left knee following the operation he underwent last April. In the games he has played this season, he has often looked unsure of himself and his own body, and has clearly not been physically up to the level of play that made him an All-Star the previous three seasons. And by all accounts, simply resting the knee the last couple of weeks hasn’t helped matters any. Rich Cho announced last week that the team will hold Roy out indefinitely while they explore all options for treatment.

The Blazers are on the hook for Roy’s $80 million contract no matter what, so of course the team wants to make every effort to salvage its investment, even if it means taking unprecedented measures like this one. I don’t pretend to know about the medical side of this stuff, but all it takes is a little common sense to know that this is the most high-risk, high-reward option Roy and the team could take. If he has this procedure, and it is successful, there’s a chance he could eventually return to playing at a high level–if not quite the superstar track he was on, at least something more than what he’s been this season. I’ve heard a few people say that Roy’s potentially career-threatening injury is the most overlooked story of the 2010-11 season so far, but you can rest assured that it won’t go under the radar if he does elect to have this surgery. We could have one of the biggest stories in all of sports on our hands, given the possibilities it would open up for other athletes with this problem.

All of this, of course, is assuming Roy does decide to do this, which isn’t a decision one makes lightly. I’d like to think we can trust Roy and the Blazers’ medical staff to explore every option to the fullest extent before deciding on a course of action. But from the looks of it, this might be the best option for Roy. Even if it affects his basketball career, the idea of having meniscus added where there was none before can only make the prospect of walking around on that knee for the rest of his life a little brighter. The most important thing here is Brandon’s long-term health–and by long-term, I mean with or without basketball in the picture. These guys don’t hang up their knees when they hang up their sneakers. This is the set of knees he will have for as long as he lives. If he has this procedure and can get back to at least close to where he was as a basketball player, that’s gravy.

Here's a link to the original article from the Portland Tribune: http://www.portlandtribune.com/sport...06982825260500

^^They talk about Portlands future a bit and how Aldridge has been doing as the #1 option. Good stuff.

Anyway, funny thing about this story is I've been wondering why they haven't came out about a meniscus transplant earlier. Apparently guys have done it but none that are active. Obviously, I really hope Roy does this and can continue to play at a high level because frankly, we don't have many good SGs in the league anymore and he's too young to call it quits. If he does the surgery and it's successful, maybe even players like CP3 can do it to revitalize their careers. CP3 knee doesn't seem as bad but still...
thejumpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:07 PM   #2
Rose
nanu nanu
 
Rose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 30,502
Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Don't count Brandon Roy out yet: Looking into meniscus transplant

CP3's better because only ONE of his knees has no meniscus. Roy lost both. Yeah that's why no one's done it, because the added stress and workout would probably make the surgery a nonfactor. Maybe this is what they meant though by having him sit out a year?
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:23 PM   #3
thejumpa
Sonics bandwagoner
 
thejumpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,405
thejumpa is considered somewhat coolthejumpa is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Don't count Brandon Roy out yet: Looking into meniscus transplant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose
CP3's better because only ONE of his knees has no meniscus. Roy lost both. Yeah that's why no one's done it, because the added stress and workout would probably make the surgery a nonfactor. Maybe this is what they meant though by having him sit out a year?

Good point I forgot about CP3 being bone on bone in only 1 knee.

If this is the only option, which it's looking like, you do it. What do you have to lose? Have the surgery, sit out a year resting and strengthening your knees. Come back and see what happens. Like the article said, it's not just about basketball. He's going to have to live his life on those knees. My stepfather is bone on bone in both knees and he hates it. Of course it's not that big of a deal seeing as he's used to the pain, but still. He can't walk long distances, jump, run, nothing. It completely sucked his athleticism away.
thejumpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:25 PM   #4
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.
 
bdreason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: HB, CA
Posts: 20,609
bdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Don't count Brandon Roy out yet: Looking into meniscus transplant

Blazers would be better off if Roy just retired so they can take his contract off the books. The Blazers owner has plenty of money... he can eat Roy's contract if needed.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:30 PM   #5
Rose
nanu nanu
 
Rose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 30,502
Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Don't count Brandon Roy out yet: Looking into meniscus transplant

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejumpa
Good point I forgot about CP3 being bone on bone in only 1 knee.

If this is the only option, which it's looking like, you do it. What do you have to lose? Have the surgery, sit out a year resting and strengthening your knees. Come back and see what happens. Like the article said, it's not just about basketball. He's going to have to live his life on those knees. My stepfather is bone on bone in both knees and he hates it. Of course it's not that big of a deal seeing as he's used to the pain, but still. He can't walk long distances, jump, run, nothing. It completely sucked his athleticism away.
He just needs to take some time off, get a good brace built for basketball. Strengthen all the other knee muscles and do some therapy.

I mean he could do it and be happy, but I think he should take some time off regardless of the surgery just to adjust to being bone on bone in both knees.If he has the surgery no one knows what could happen. He could essentially be the Tommy John of basketball.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:40 PM   #6
thejumpa
Sonics bandwagoner
 
thejumpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,405
thejumpa is considered somewhat coolthejumpa is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Don't count Brandon Roy out yet: Looking into meniscus transplant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose
He just needs to take some time off, get a good brace built for basketball. Strengthen all the other knee muscles and do some therapy.

I mean he could do it and be happy, but I think he should take some time off regardless of the surgery just to adjust to being bone on bone in both knees.If he has the surgery no one knows what could happen. He could essentially be the Tommy John of basketball.

Yeah, well he is out "indefinitely". I bet he comes back for a few games and then they shut him down for the season. No point in damaging your knee any more. Overcompensating is an issue as well.

I totally agree with the Tommy John reference. If it works, he can come back and be the player he used to be(atleast 85% I'd assume) and help other players as well. Right now he's obviously not that.
thejumpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:43 PM   #7
Rose
nanu nanu
 
Rose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 30,502
Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Don't count Brandon Roy out yet: Looking into meniscus transplant

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejumpa
Yeah, well he is out "indefinitely". I bet he comes back for a few games and then they shut him down for the season. No point in damaging your knee any more. Overcompensating is an issue as well.

I totally agree with the Tommy John reference. If it works, he can come back and be the player he used to be(atleast 85% I'd assume) and help other players as well. Right now he's obviously not that.
Well Roy's being stupid. I tore my meniscus in high school, and regretted coming back too soon. Which he obviously did last year. And this year.

They tell you "take lots of rest, and train up your muscles to carry on the extra stress" He has the Eric Snow syndrome too of both knees being gone which means he needs to slow things down and reinvent himself which I've said all along. IF I were Roy, I wouldn't let my pride get me, and I'd play less minutes especially considering they have: Wesley Matthews, and Rudy Fernandez to back him up. No way in hell i'd be shortening my career by playing 35 minutes a night. I'd play 25 a night and that would be that.

And yeah. If he comes back that could COMPLETELY change some guys' career. Paul for example as we've both said. and I'm sure there's a host of other guys with no meniscus we're not thinking of.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:54 PM   #8
xcesswee
Great young streetballer
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 520
xcesswee has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Don't count Brandon Roy out yet: Looking into meniscus transplant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose
CP3's better because only ONE of his knees has no meniscus. Roy lost both. Yeah that's why no one's done it, because the added stress and workout would probably make the surgery a nonfactor. Maybe this is what they meant though by having him sit out a year?

Also, the difference with CP3 and Roy, is that CP3 only had a partial tear on his meniscus in his left knee. The partial tear is the only part that got removed. So I believe that he still has part of his meniscus in his left knee which wouldn't make it bone on bone entirely. I think Roy has bone on bone for both of his knees.
xcesswee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:58 PM   #9
Rose
nanu nanu
 
Rose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 30,502
Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Don't count Brandon Roy out yet: Looking into meniscus transplant

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcesswee
Also, the difference with CP3 and Roy, is that CP3 only had a partial tear on his meniscus in his left knee. The partial tear is the only part that got removed. So I believe that he still has part of his meniscus in his left knee which wouldn't make it bone on bone entirely. I think Roy has bone on bone for both of his knees.
I'm almost positive CP3 lost his entire meniscus. I'd have to look it up to be sure though. But if he only lost some of it that's at least decent.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:58 PM   #10
thejumpa
Sonics bandwagoner
 
thejumpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,405
thejumpa is considered somewhat coolthejumpa is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Don't count Brandon Roy out yet: Looking into meniscus transplant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose
Well Roy's being stupid. I tore my meniscus in high school, and regretted coming back too soon. Which he obviously did last year. And this year.

They tell you "take lots of rest, and train up your muscles to carry on the extra stress" He has the Eric Snow syndrome too of both knees being gone which means he needs to slow things down and reinvent himself which I've said all along. IF I were Roy, I wouldn't let my pride get me, and I'd play less minutes especially considering they have: Wesley Matthews, and Rudy Fernandez to back him up. No way in hell i'd be shortening my career by playing 35 minutes a night. I'd play 25 a night and that would be that.

And yeah. If he comes back that could COMPLETELY change some guys' career. Paul for example as we've both said. and I'm sure there's a host of other guys with no meniscus we're not thinking of.

+1

I tried defending him coming back so soon forever, but I just can't anymore. If your knees are that bad, sit it out for a while. You have said yourself that you aren't the same player anymore so why risk anything? To be fair, when you are young, you feel like you can play through anything. I've played with all kinds of injuries simply because I could. The reality is, that's incredible stupid and will come back to haunt you as you start getting older.

Looking back on it, he was probably like "Hey, I'm the #1 option, I just signed a huge contract, and the team already has had bad luck in terms of injuries. I'm just gonna play until things get really bad" The problem is he didn't realize that things would get this bad so fast. It's ****ed up because Allen has done a good job IMO building that organization up. Things like this can completely ruin a franchise.
thejumpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:59 PM   #11
Rose
nanu nanu
 
Rose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 30,502
Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Don't count Brandon Roy out yet: Looking into meniscus transplant

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejumpa
+1

I tried defending him coming back so soon forever, but I just can't anymore. If your knees are that bad, sit it out for a while. You have said yourself that you aren't the same player anymore so why risk anything? To be fair, when you are young, you feel like you can play through anything. I've played with all kinds of injuries simply because I could. The reality is, that's incredible stupid and will come back to haunt you as you start getting older.

Looking back on it, he was probably like "Hey, I'm the #1 option, I just signed a huge contract, and the team already has had bad luck in terms of injuries. I'm just gonna play until things get really bad" The problem is he didn't realize that things would get this bad so fast. It's ****ed up because Allen has done a good job IMO building that organization up. Things like this can completely ruin a franchise.

Could NOT agree anymore.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:12 PM   #12
lilWesleyJ4
BOSSMAN BEASLEY
 
lilWesleyJ4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 866
lilWesleyJ4 has decent reputationlilWesleyJ4 has decent reputation
Default Re: Don't count Brandon Roy out yet: Looking into meniscus transplant

Roy will never be the same. Most of me is sad to see a players career go like it is to Roy right now, but another part of me is kind of happy that McHale's fears of Roy's health turned out to be true.
lilWesleyJ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:24 PM   #13
LilBTheBasedGod
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Don't count Brandon Roy out yet: Looking into meniscus transplant

Some crazed ass Blazers fan will donate one probably.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:34 PM   #14
Stuckey
ifirtworld
 
Stuckey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: igloo
Posts: 7,646
Stuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Don't count Brandon Roy out yet: Looking into meniscus transplant

one of the saddest stories of 2010

another star shot down
Stuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:07 PM   #15
Showtime
Hardwood Hero
 
Showtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,369
Showtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Don't count Brandon Roy out yet: Looking into meniscus transplant

If this works, has his time already ran out in Portland? I hope he hasn't burned any bridges with how he's been acting recently.
Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:07 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy