Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 01-03-2011, 06:26 PM   #16
Crown&Coke
Stay Strong Droth

Crown&Coke is popular on this boardCrown&Coke is popular on this boardCrown&Coke is popular on this boardCrown&Coke is popular on this boardCrown&Coke is popular on this board
Default Re: Don't count Brandon Roy out yet: Looking into meniscus transplant

Oh my goodness, a meniscus transplant

I was at the doctor a couple weeks ago, and there was this picture of a knee, and I thought about BRoy because it showed the meniscus and all that, but the meniscus is in between bones? So they will separate the two and then put a filler in there, then put it back together? Pretty risky if you ask me. Painful just to think about.

I hope something can be done for BRoy, I love his game and his demeanor. He is the type of player the NBA needs.

People are now saying they regret him coming back yada yada, but I can only imagine what people would have said if it came out he could have played, and didnt? The boy would have gotten killed by the fans and the media for being "soft" or not playing for his teammates and all.

But this knee issue would still be around whether BRoy played in the playoffs or not? Its not like the meniscus would have grown back in that time?

The real blame belongs to the Blazers medical staff. They simply cut off that part of the meniscus which was torn, allowing for a faster healing time.

Andrew Bynum had a similar, not the same, but a very similar injury of the meniscus, and when the doctors did their thing after the playoffs, they found they could sew the meniscus back together which was a better procedure for the long term outcome for the player. But the healing time was drastically increased (which is why Drew missed the start of the season).

If you guys wanna bash someone, look at the Blazers medical staff, they could have prevented this from happening. There is a reason Portland is the most injured team over the past 5+ yrs.
Crown&Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:56 PM   #17
jebron-i
I hit open layups

jebron-i has decent reputationjebron-i has decent reputation

roy should go and do it
jebron-i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:32 PM   #18
RoseCity07
NBA Legend

RoseCity07 has an incredible reputation hereRoseCity07 has an incredible reputation hereRoseCity07 has an incredible reputation hereRoseCity07 has an incredible reputation hereRoseCity07 has an incredible reputation hereRoseCity07 has an incredible reputation hereRoseCity07 has an incredible reputation here

Brandon Roy is going into unknown territory with not a lot of hope right now. The Blazers are going to the edge of everything medical science has to offer to find an answer.

I really hope they get that answer. Brandon Roy is a a hall of fame talent, but will he ever be able to show it for 10 more years? I don't believe he will.
RoseCity07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:37 PM   #19
Sakkreth
Raptors/LTU/Zalgiris

Sakkreth has an incredible reputation hereSakkreth has an incredible reputation hereSakkreth has an incredible reputation hereSakkreth has an incredible reputation hereSakkreth has an incredible reputation hereSakkreth has an incredible reputation hereSakkreth has an incredible reputation here

I wish he could get healthy one of my fav players..
Sakkreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:38 PM   #20
RoseCity07
NBA Legend

RoseCity07 has an incredible reputation hereRoseCity07 has an incredible reputation hereRoseCity07 has an incredible reputation hereRoseCity07 has an incredible reputation hereRoseCity07 has an incredible reputation hereRoseCity07 has an incredible reputation hereRoseCity07 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown&Coke
Oh my goodness, a meniscus transplant

I was at the doctor a couple weeks ago, and there was this picture of a knee, and I thought about BRoy because it showed the meniscus and all that, but the meniscus is in between bones? So they will separate the two and then put a filler in there, then put it back together? Pretty risky if you ask me. Painful just to think about.

I hope something can be done for BRoy, I love his game and his demeanor. He is the type of player the NBA needs.

People are now saying they regret him coming back yada yada, but I can only imagine what people would have said if it came out he could have played, and didnt? The boy would have gotten killed by the fans and the media for being "soft" or not playing for his teammates and all.

But this knee issue would still be around whether BRoy played in the playoffs or not? Its not like the meniscus would have grown back in that time?

The real blame belongs to the Blazers medical staff. They simply cut off that part of the meniscus which was torn, allowing for a faster healing time.

Andrew Bynum had a similar, not the same, but a very similar injury of the meniscus, and when the doctors did their thing after the playoffs, they found they could sew the meniscus back together which was a better procedure for the long term outcome for the player. But the healing time was drastically increased (which is why Drew missed the start of the season).

If you guys wanna bash someone, look at the Blazers medical staff, they could have prevented this from happening. There is a reason Portland is the most injured team over the past 5+ yrs.

The medical staff doesn't get to decide whether they repair a partial tear or just remove it. If the Doctor recommends they remove a part of the meniscus, they Blazers staff would agree. You can't repair every meniscus tear.

If it was the Blazers medical staff, Ander Miller, Wes Matthews, or Aldridge would be injured. You're just focusing on injury prone players.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:00 PM   #21
qwerty8390
Can barely lace up my sneakers

qwerty8390 has an OK reputation so far

He should get the transplant.

It's not like sitting out for a year will regrow his meniscus, so if he ever wants to play again, he needs some sort of surgery. Even if he doesn't play again. Bone on bone is really painful I'm sure.
qwerty8390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:04 PM   #22
LastChanceToWin
Banned

LastChanceToWin has one of the lowest reputations on this boardLastChanceToWin has one of the lowest reputations on this boardLastChanceToWin has one of the lowest reputations on this boardLastChanceToWin has one of the lowest reputations on this boardLastChanceToWin has one of the lowest reputations on this boardLastChanceToWin has one of the lowest reputations on this boardLastChanceToWin has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Can someone tell me how Roy got injured?
LastChanceToWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:06 PM   #23
cteach111
National High School Star

cteach111 has an OK reputation so far

well, he's sort of a guinea pig. Then again, he doesn't have much of a choice. Hopefully, this works out.
cteach111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:19 PM   #24
50inchvertical
College star

50inchvertical has an OK reputation so far

Meniscus transplant is NOT new territory.
50inchvertical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:25 PM   #25
RoseCity07
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50inchvertical
Meniscus transplant is NOT new territory.

For a professional athlete that is entering his prime years it is. Usually the only basketball a player gets to play after a meniscus transplant is a game of horse.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:42 PM   #26
Jasper
Bucks Brigade

Jasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

When it comes to any players health - we can only hope for the best , so we are not denied seeing them perform.

I am afraid with all the reports about his condition , not just on one knee , but both that his days are numbered.
Just think of the miles he's put on jumping , cuting etc ... starting as a kid , then high school and college ball to the pro's .. The wear and tear has to be something else..

Any player with issues as Roy has , will never have the lift , or cutting ability as they had , less we speak about quickness.

We can only hope for the best.

Portland needs a break in their storied history as well..
Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:12 PM   #27
guy
NBA All-star

guy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown&Coke

Really doubt people would care years down the line. Can't say the same about what he's actually going through right now because of not sitting out.

I'm really hoping Roy and CP3 don't turn into this era's Penny Hardaway and Grant Hill.
guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:16 AM   #28
PrimeJohnnyDepp
Banned

PrimeJohnnyDepp is starting to rub some people the wrong way

I don't know why they dont just take some meniscus from the ass and put it in a knee, it's Dna compatible and body does not reject it. I guess American doctors are not as smart as Lithuanian doctors.
PrimeJohnnyDepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:37 AM   #29
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!

ProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilBTheBasedGod
Some crazed ass Blazers fan will donate one probably.

He could take mine... For the right price.
ProfessorMurder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:44 AM   #30
Lebron23
GOAT Small Forward

Lebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeJohnnyDepp
I don't know why they dont just take some meniscus from the ass and put it in a knee, it's Dna compatible and body does not reject it. I guess American doctors are not as smart as Lithuanian doctors.

Stem Cell Research baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.newdrugs.com/stemcells/20...ll-trials.html

http://www.theindychannel.com/health...31/detail.html

http://www.rxpgnews.com/stem-cell-re..._925_925.shtml

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaX3rMr0ICE

Last edited by Lebron23 : 01-04-2011 at 12:46 AM.
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: