Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 03-02-2011, 04:02 PM   #16
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

Default Re: Fight Night Champion - Champion Mode Trailer

I've played it a bit, here are my thoughts.

The gameplay is great, and that's the most important part. There is a nice balance between simulation and arcade, which keeps the action fast and fun, while not being completely unrealistic. I would prefer if it were a bit slower and more sim... but I understand why they have to strike a balance. The controls are quick and responsive for the most part. Movement around the ring is a little slippery, but it's manageable.

The story mode is fun, and offers something new. You don't get to change/build your character, or make decisions, or anything like that. You essentially just go fight to fight, with some 30-60sec clips thrown in between to tell a story. There are some cool twists to fights though, like bare knuckle fights in prison, and different ways to win/lose fights. The story is raw dog so far which I love.

The career mode is good so far. Pretty straight forward, and plays a lot like UFC Undisputed. You go week to week choosing if you want train at different camps, rest, do promos... shit like that. The xp system is straight forward. You get xp points for fights and training and put them where you want. What I really like about the setup is that you have to choose your playstyle. For example, if you want to be a quick, outside, stick and move type fighter... then you're not going to be good fighting inside, throwing hooks and uppercuts... and if you try and fight like that, you'll probably get dropped. Also, they added bonuses to different attacks. For example, my first fighter is an outside fighter who uses a lot of jabs. I've put a lot of xp into my jab and now both my jab and body jab have a 20% chance to slow my opponents movement speed.

Overall, I would say it's the best Boxing game I've ever played. If you're fan of Boxing or combat sports, it's certainly worth the dough. I havent tried online yet, but they have a nice match / ranking system apparently and people are loving it from what I've heard.

Last edited by bdreason : 03-02-2011 at 04:12 PM.
bdreason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:37 PM   #17
Brujesino
Stephen Kerry

In Champion mode i cant get past the guy who throws the left hook.I try to stick and run but it seems he only needs to connect once with it and it knocks me down
Brujesino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 02:13 AM   #18
AirTupac
BBBonzoBBBall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brujesino
In Champion mode i cant get past the guy who throws the left hook.I try to stick and run but it seems he only needs to connect once with it and it knocks me down

Can you give me a brief review? Should i shell out the money?
AirTupac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 02:22 AM   #19
ukballer
NBA lottery pick

I've gotten to the champion fight against Isaac Frost, but I can't take a punch from him at all. I know it says try to survive the first 2 rounds, but he's pretty hard to get away from.
ukballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 02:23 AM   #20
Brujesino
Stephen Kerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirTupac
Can you give me a brief review? Should i shell out the money?
So far ive only played Champion mode, it is awsome but very short currently still trying to beat the last guy.Hes tough, gonna go through the rest of the game right now actually.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:25 AM   #21
Brujesino
Stephen Kerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukballer
I've gotten to the champion fight against Isaac Frost, but I can't take a punch from him at all. I know it says try to survive the first 2 rounds, but he's pretty hard to get away from.
What mode are you fighting him at?I was on pro and got past the first 2 rounds.Then you have to body punch him 75 times in the next 3 rounds never got past that part.I hit 75 once but i still had 25 seconds to go in the round and he caught me and i was out
Old 03-06-2011, 02:33 AM   #22
ukballer
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
What mode are you fighting him at?I was on pro and got past the first 2 rounds.Then you have to body punch him 75 times in the next 3 rounds never got past that part.I hit 75 once but i still had 25 seconds to go in the round and he caught me and i was out

Pro as well. Think I just gotta get a bit smarter with my blocking. I'd found every fight pretty easy up until that point, and knocked out every fighter except the one where you can only use your left hand, and that was an easy win too.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:54 AM   #23
AirTupac
BBBonzoBBBall

Is it worth spending 60 bucks + tax?!?!
Old 03-06-2011, 03:09 AM   #24
Brujesino
Stephen Kerry

Oh shit!!!! I beat him!!!
Old 03-06-2011, 03:10 AM   #25
Brujesino
Stephen Kerry

Quote:
Is it worth spending 60 bucks + tax?!?!
i'll give you a better review tomorrow.The Gameplay is sick champion mode is sick.Iam gonna go on to legacy mode now.
Old 03-06-2011, 03:11 AM   #26
AirTupac
BBBonzoBBBall

Quote:
i'll give you a better review tomorrow.The Gameplay is sick champion mode is sick.Iam gonna go on to legacy mode now.

I just played the demo of Ali and Tyson and it looked sick. Played it like 10 times and i got kinda bored so now I'm having second thoughts. If im shelling out 60 bucks it better be a longass game like 2k is.
Old 03-06-2011, 03:23 AM   #27
Brujesino
Stephen Kerry

Quote:
I just played the demo of Ali and Tyson and it looked sick. Played it like 10 times and i got kinda bored so now I'm having second thoughts. If im shelling out 60 bucks it better be a longass game like 2k is.
Well i got it on gamefly so i didnt spend 60 bucks on it.I did however spend 60 bucks on 2k and that was a waste.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:42 AM   #28
ukballer
NBA lottery pick

What the hell?

Fighting Frost again, survived the first 2 rounds pretty easily, then trainer told me to keep making body shots for the next 3 rounds, which I did with no trouble, and was probably just winning the fight. End of Round 5, it tells me game over...the **** is that?

Was I supposed to hit him a certain number of times? It didn't say that for me.

EDIT: It went back to Round 3 when I clicked retry. Guess I just gotta try and hit him harder and a few more times for the next 3 rounds and hope it doesn't say game over.

EDIT2: Knocked that ****er out! Woohoo!

EDIT3: As soon as I knocked him out, the game just went back to the Fight Night main menu, no achievement unlocked, no cool cutscene. What the hell was that? Is my game bugged? Or is it really that anti-climatic?

Last edited by ukballer : 03-06-2011 at 06:04 AM.
Old 03-06-2011, 03:02 PM   #29
Brujesino
Stephen Kerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukballer
What the hell?

Fighting Frost again, survived the first 2 rounds pretty easily, then trainer told me to keep making body shots for the next 3 rounds, which I did with no trouble, and was probably just winning the fight. End of Round 5, it tells me game over...the **** is that?

Was I supposed to hit him a certain number of times? It didn't say that for me.

EDIT: It went back to Round 3 when I clicked retry. Guess I just gotta try and hit him harder and a few more times for the next 3 rounds and hope it doesn't say game over.

EDIT2: Knocked that ****er out! Woohoo!

EDIT3: As soon as I knocked him out, the game just went back to the Fight Night main menu, no achievement unlocked, no cool cutscene. What the hell was that? Is my game bugged? Or is it really that anti-climatic?

Um ya you should have gotten a achievement for that.I cant remember the cut scene because i was to busy being excited that i beat him Butt there is definetly a cut scene.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:40 PM   #30
ukballer
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Um ya you should have gotten a achievement for that.I cant remember the cut scene because i was to busy being excited that i beat him Butt there is definetly a cut scene.

My internet has been seriously ****ing up anyway, but it's fixed now. Maybe something to do with that. Guess I'll give it another go tomorrow and get my damn achievement!
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: