Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-05-2011, 09:21 PM   #1
Anti Hero
Be your own hero

Default Autism/Vaccine study a fraud

Quote:
CNN) -- A now-retracted British study that linked autism to childhood vaccines was an "elaborate fraud" that has done long-lasting damage to public health, a leading medical publication reported Wednesday.
An investigation published by the British medical journal BMJ concludes the study's author, Dr. Andrew Wakefield, misrepresented or altered the medical histories of all 12 of the patients whose cases formed the basis of the 1998 study -- and that there was "no doubt" Wakefield was responsible.
"It's one thing to have a bad study, a study full of error, and for the authors then to admit that they made errors," Fiona Godlee, BMJ's editor-in-chief, told CNN. "But in this case, we have a very different picture of what seems to be a deliberate attempt to create an impression that there was a link by falsifying the data."
Britain stripped Wakefield of his medical license in May 2010. Efforts to reach him for comment were unsuccessful Wednesday.
"Meanwhile, the damage to public health continues, fueled by unbalanced media reporting and an ineffective response from government, researchers, journals and the medical profession," BMJ states.
The now-discredited paper panicked many parents and led to a sharp drop in the number of children getting the vaccine that prevents measles, mumps and rubella. Vaccination rates dropped sharply in Britain after its publication, falling as low as 80 percent by 2004. Measles cases have gone up sharply in the ensuing years.
In the United States, more cases of measles were reported in 2008 than in any other year since 1997, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. More than 90 percent of those infected had not been vaccinated or their vaccination status was unknown, the CDC reported.
"But perhaps as important as the scare's effect on infectious disease is the energy, emotion and money that have been diverted away from efforts to understand the real causes of autism and how to help children and families who live with it," the BMJ editorial states.
Wakefield has been unable to reproduce his results in the face of criticism, and other researchers have been unable to match them. Most of his co-authors withdrew their names from the study in 2004 after learning he had had been paid by a law firm that intended to sue vaccine manufacturers -- a serious conflict of interest he failed to disclose. After years on controversy, the Lancet, the prestigious journal that originally published the research, retracted Wakefield's paper last February.
Unfortunately, (Wakefield's) core group of supporters is not going to let the facts dissuade their beliefs that MMR causes autism.
--Dr. Max Wiznitzer, pediatric neurologist

The series of articles launched Wednesday are investigative journalism, not results of a clinical study. The writer, Brian Deer, said Wakefield "chiseled" the data before him, "falsifying medical histories of children and essentially concocting a picture, which was the picture he was contracted to find by lawyers hoping to sue vaccine manufacturers and to create a vaccine scare."
According to BMJ, Wakefield received more than 435,000 pounds ($674,000) from the lawyers. Godlee said the study shows that of the 12 cases Wakefield examined in his paper, five showed developmental problems before receiving the MMR vaccine and three never had autism.
"It's always hard to explain fraud and where it affects people to lie in science," Godlee said. "But it does seem a financial motive was underlying this, both in terms of payments by lawyers and through legal aid grants that he received but also through financial schemes that he hoped would benefit him through diagnostic and other tests for autism and MMR-related issues."
Dr. Max Wiznitzer, a pediatric neurologist at Rainbow Babies & Children's Hospital in Cleveland, said the reporting "represents Wakefield as a person where the ends justified the means." But he said the latest news may have little effect on those families who still blame vaccines for their children's conditions.
"Unfortunately, his core group of supporters is not going to let the facts dissuade their beliefs that MMR causes autism," Wiznitzer said. "They need to be open-minded and examine the information as everybody else."
Wakefield's defenders include David Kirby, a journalist who has written extensively on autism. He told CNN that Wakefield not only has denied falsifying data, he has said he had no way to do so.
"I have known him for a number of years. He does not strike me as a charlatan or a liar," Kirby said. If the BMJ allegations are true, then Wakefield "did a terrible thing" -- but he added, "I personally find it hard to believe that he did that."

CNN.com
Anti Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:28 PM   #2
1987_Lakers
NBA All-star

Default Re: Autism/Vaccine study a fraud

stay away from vaccines. They have tiny microchips in them.
1987_Lakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:30 PM   #3
1987_Lakers
NBA All-star

**** YOU Bill Gates!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUCGn82l5u8
1987_Lakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:06 PM   #4
code green
C's Fan since Dee

not trying to be a dick to the op, but you'd have to be a moron to believe there was a correlation. there was no medical basis to prove any link, only a washed up celebrity (jenny mccarthy) that americans were stupid enough to believe.

now we have kids dying of retarded shit like whooping cough because their parents listened to a model instead of a doctor.
code green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:15 PM   #5
bada bing
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by code green
not trying to be a dick to the op, but you'd have to be a moron to believe there was a correlation. there was no medical basis to prove any link, only a washed up celebrity (jenny mccarthy) that americans were stupid enough to believe.

now we have kids dying of retarded shit like whooping cough because their parents listened to a model instead of a doctor.

well said. i see so many patients that bring up crap about vaccines because Jenny McCarthy told them so or some website told them soo. These people ignore thousands of doctors and their research and accept one paper connecting autism with vaccines.
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:22 PM   #6
RidonKs
NBA Legend

I just learned today what a vaccine actually is. I felt like an idiot afterwards, but it was worth it. Hopefully this post will bring rise to a smidget of doubt in whoever is reading, and they'll fun off to Wikipedia verify what they thought they already knew. Here, let me give you a hand.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:25 PM   #7
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidonKs
I just learned today what a vaccine actually is. I felt like an idiot afterwards, but it was worth it. Hopefully this post will bring rise to a smidget of doubt in whoever is reading, and they'll fun off to Wikipedia verify what they thought they already knew. Here, let me give you a hand.

I clicked the link and confirmed what I already knew. Suck it.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:04 PM   #8
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year

is there any way some sort of legal action can be taken against mccarthy to make an example of her? she was probably acting with good intentions (alternative health awareness as opposed to anti-establishment) but something needs to happen so people (namely celebrities) actually do proper research before they start selling this sort of crap.
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:06 PM   #9
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

You guys are young but when you get to be in my demographic you wouldn't believe the numbers of hysterical soccer moms who believe all this shit. The worst part is they won't get their kids vaccinated so there is a resurgence of diseases like measles. Nice.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:01 AM   #10
Enigmatism
Raving Lunatic

That is some really foul stuff... they need to go after the lawyers who paid him too
Enigmatism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:30 AM   #11
Riddler
D-94

http://images0.memegenerator.net/Ima...torName=XZIBIT
Riddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:29 AM   #12
Riddler
D-94

This is a major win for conspiracy theorists.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:40 AM   #13
code green
C's Fan since Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddler
This is a major win for conspiracy theorists.

first thing my brother said when i told him about the story.
code green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:43 AM   #14
Riddler
D-94

Quote:
Originally Posted by code green
first thing my brother said when i told him about the story.

It really is... Next time my son is scheduled for a shot I'm going to let the Doctor know what time it is.

$hit p*sses me off.

Way too many vaccines for these children now-a-days... makes no God-damn-sense.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:44 AM   #15
Riddler
D-94

I still can't believe this is on the front page of CNN.

Am I really seeing this as the top story in the mainstream media?
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: