Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-06-2011, 03:11 PM   #1
v-unit
NBA All-star

Default Law School!

I have questions; lets talk anything law school.

I'm planning on going to law school; my first year was pretty bad (Around a C/C+) but by the end of this year, I should be at an overall average of B-. For my final two years, I'm pretty sure I can pull in a B+ and potentially get the A- average, realistically. That would probably move my overall average to a B/B+ and I don't think it's enough for law school, per say.

I know in Canada there are a few schools that look at your final 2 years in university instead of your CGPA/overall mark so I'm staying hopeful that I can pull in a good LSAT. At the least, I hope to attend a shitty law school where I can get my law degree from; don't care if it's in the middle of no where (Both States and Canada).

Questions:

Who got in and with what marks (School marks and LSAT)?

What school?

What did they take into consideration?

When did you take your LSAT and how many times?

Is there a big reputation circle among law schools? Is there schools that are actually looked down upon, to the point where if you put it on your resume they won't consider you legitimately?

Did you find a JOB?!?!

Please add anything you wish, I'm in the complete and udder learning stages right now.

v-unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:46 PM   #2
Legend of Josh
Banned

Default Re: Law School!

Instead of asking ISH you should be seeking advice/counseling from professional admissions personel.

I get the part about experiences from those who are in or going through law school (and I'm sure the pool here at ISH is quite shallow), but you're asking the wrong folks.

Just my $0.02.
Legend of Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:48 PM   #3
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan 1997

Watch the movies The Firm and A Few Good Men for inspiration.
Meticode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:50 PM   #4
v-unit
NBA All-star

I'm asking here simply for "real" advice. Aka what did you need to get in, did you find a job, etc. If I ask a counselor they'll tell me "YOU NEED AN A+!!! YES YOU WILL GET A JOB!!!". I just want to see what the average person has to say before I start digging deep.

Edit-Will check those movies out...
v-unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:52 PM   #5
heyhey
stay mad golden state

there are much better forums than ISh for this.

Basically only factors that matter are LSAT and GPA, everything else is just window dressing.
Yes reputation of law school MATTERS a lot. If you plan on making good money from your law degree, enough that it woul justify the tuition, you should be tryng to go to the best law school possible.

Generally speakng, there's the T14, top14 law schools which are considered the best and graduates from there usually have good shot at large law firms.
heyhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:52 PM   #6
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan 1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-unit
I'm asking here simply for "real" advice. Aka what did you need to get in, did you find a job, etc. If I ask a counselor they'll tell me "YOU NEED AN A+!!! YES YOU WILL GET A JOB!!!". I just want to see what the average person has to say before I start digging deep.

Edit-Will check those movies out...
I was being sarcastic, but The Firm is actually a decent movie. Gene Hackman is in it too.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:07 PM   #7
DukeDelonte13
NBA sixth man of the year

If your grades aren't great and you want in at a canadian school you are going to have to score like a 165+ on the LSATs.

Apply to some American schools. A lot of Canadians do and then move back.

BTW nobody really cares about where you went unless it was a top 10 school, and even then, meh. (it's really who you know).

Ask where you want to live when you are all grown up, and go to a school near there. Don't worry about rep, worry about cost and whether or not they will take you.
DukeDelonte13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:08 PM   #8
BMOGEFan
Banned

i'm a lawyer, graduated in 2008.

here's my advice to you.

don't go. don't blow 150k for law school tuition. this profession sucks and is just not worth it in my opinion. its saturated, jobless, and limited.

calbar number 259338
BMOGEFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:11 PM   #9
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan 1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOGEFan
i'm a lawyer, graduated in 2008.

here's my advice to you.

don't go. don't blow 150k for law school tuition. this profession sucks and is just not worth it in my opinion. its saturated, jobless, and limited.

calbar number 259338
So are you just playing the cards you were dealt after being a lawyer? Do you feel you made a mistake you're going to make the best out of now?
Old 01-06-2011, 04:14 PM   #10
BMOGEFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meticode
So are you just playing the cards you were dealt after being a lawyer? Do you feel you made a mistake you're going to make the best out of now?

well, if i had a choice to go back, i would probably do something else and not put myself in 150k worth of debt in this saturated market.

i have a couple of friends who can't even find a job after 1 year.

a couple who gave up and opened their own law firm. some will do "appearance attorney work" just to make a hundred bucks or so a day.

theres no real jobs out there. then again, thats pretty much like everything else, but with everything else, you don't have 150k worth of debt.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:16 PM   #11
DukeDelonte13

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyhey
there are much better forums than ISh for this.

Basically only factors that matter are LSAT and GPA, everything else is just window dressing.
Yes reputation of law school MATTERS a lot. If you plan on making good money from your law degree, enough that it woul justify the tuition, you should be tryng to go to the best law school possible.

Generally speakng, there's the T14, top14 law schools which are considered the best and graduates from there usually have good shot at large law firms.

Local reputation sure, but not any bullshit rankings that nobody gives a sh*t about. Bottom line is talk to lawyers in the area where you want to practice. Find out where they went to school, ask where most lawyers practicing in the area went to. Go to that school.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:17 PM   #12
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan 1997

Quote:
well, if i had a choice to go back, i would probably do something else and not put myself in 150k worth of debt in this saturated market.

a couple who gave up and opened their own law firm. some will do "appearance attorney work" just to make a hundred bucks or so a day.

theres no real jobs out there. then again, thats pretty much like everything else, but with everything else, you don't have 150k worth of debt.
That sucks. I hope you make good with whatever you do that's good work.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:18 PM   #13
DukeDelonte13

Quote:

I know plenty of guys out there banking who starting out doing strictly appointed work.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:18 PM   #14
BMOGEFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meticode
That sucks. I hope you make good with whatever you do that's good work.

i actually have a job, not the highest paying, but nonetheless a job in this shit of an economy.

i'm in family law, litigation, and criminal defense.

the jobs fun, but just not worth the debt and the pay.

you claim people can make 150k outta law school. good luck with that in this economy.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:19 PM   #15
BMOGEFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
I know plenty of guys out there banking who starting out doing strictly appointed work.

the proper term is contract work.

yea its a shitty life for a new attorney.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: