Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-06-2011, 03:21 PM   #16
DukeDelonte13
NBA sixth man of the year

DukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Law School!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOGEFan
the proper term is contract work.

yea its a shitty life for a new attorney.

it's "appointed" in Ohio. It's not to bad if you don't have a shit ton of debt racked up. My tuition was under 20k a year.
DukeDelonte13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:22 PM   #17
heyhey
stay mad golden state

heyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
Local reputation sure, but not any bullshit rankings that nobody gives a sh*t about. Bottom line is talk to lawyers in the area where you want to practice. Find out where they went to school, ask where most lawyers practicing in the area went to. Go to that school.

lol yea bs ranking says you have more opportunity going to Harvard law than Alabama state...

why don't you check career placement or something

most of the lower ranked schools are just money earners for the school. It's irresponsible and downright criminal how many law schools are actually out there.
heyhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:24 PM   #18
DukeDelonte13

DukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyhey
lol yea bs ranking says you have more opportunity going to Harvard law than Alabama state...

why don't you check career placement or something

most of the lower ranked schools are just money earners for the school. It's irresponsible and downright criminal how many law schools are actually out there.

go pay out the ass when you can get the same degree for 70% less money, and cry when some jackass gets the job from you because they just knew somebody. That's life.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:26 PM   #19
Tarik One
NBA rookie of the year

Tarik One is considered somewhat coolTarik One is considered somewhat cool

"There are more students in law school than there are lawyers walking the streets"

John Milton/Lucifer, The Devil's Advocate
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:29 PM   #20
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

My best friend of 15 years is a lawyer. He went to UM for undergrad, bombed out his first 2 years, finished with nearly all A's his final two years. He scored high on the LSAT and went to Case Western Reserve for law school. He got a job in county court back home (Grand Rapids, MI) right out of school and 1 year later was working here in DC as a federal prosecutor. He loves it and has had a very positive experience.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:33 PM   #21
heyhey
stay mad golden state

heyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
go pay out the ass when you can get the same degree for 70% less money, and cry when some jackass gets the job from you because they just knew somebody. That's life.

http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/20080...ent_trends.pdf

I don't know why you taking this so personally but facts are facts.

over 50 percent of graduates from top 14 law schools go to big law, where the money is, while Arizona State places 5 percent.

The good jobs in law, judicial clerkships, big law, etc are dominated by graduates of top14 schools. I'm trying to give OP the facts. people get this idea that all lawyers are rolling in dough. fact of the matter is that's not true.

Go to any law school forum and ask whether it's a good idea to go to a law school ranked like 50 or something and most people will answer no, unless you have some emotional commitment to be a lawyer.
heyhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:33 PM   #22
v-unit
NBA All-star

v-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Thanks for the personal input.

I was under the impression that there are 3 tiers: Top schools, schools people have generally heard about and schools people haven't heard about. The middle two don't really have a big difference in preference for employers, unless someone prefers the guy from the school he heard of. But that's just how I imagined it. But heyhey is providing some facts to prove otherwise.

Learned a lot already. BMOGE, what was going through your head while you were in law school? Did you regret it then? Felt excited? Confident? What?
v-unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:37 PM   #23
BMOGEFan
Banned

BMOGEFan has a bad reputationBMOGEFan has a bad reputationBMOGEFan has a bad reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-unit
Thanks for the personal input.

I was under the impression that there are 3 tiers: Top schools, schools people have generally heard about and schools people haven't heard about. The middle two don't really have a big difference in preference for employers, unless someone prefers the guy from the school he heard of. But that's just how I imagined it. But heyhey is providing some facts to prove otherwise.

Learned a lot already. BMOGE, what was going through your head while you were in law school? Did you regret it then? Felt excited? Confident? What?

lets say this...

i have a friend who went to law school about the same time i did. he dropped out of law school after first year and then proceeded to become a cop.

4-5 years later, he is the one that owns the house and i'm buried in massive amounts of debt.

we make comparable money.

when i went to law school, no one warned me about how crappy this profession is. its until AFTER i graduated when i learned of this shit. i always pictured a lawyer to be something out of "the firm" or "fairly legal".

not true.
BMOGEFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:41 PM   #24
DukeDelonte13

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyhey
http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/20080...ent_trends.pdf

I don't know why you taking this so personally but facts are facts.

over 50 percent of graduates from top 14 law schools go to big law, where the money is, while Arizona State places 5 percent.

The good jobs in law, judicial clerkships, big law, etc are dominated by graduates of top14 schools. I'm trying to give OP the facts. people get this idea that all lawyers are rolling in dough. fact of the matter is that's not true.

Go to any law school forum and ask whether it's a good idea to go to a law school ranked like 50 or something and most people will answer no, unless you have some emotional commitment to be a lawyer.

ok reality time.

Big firms only hire very very very few people a year, and they take people from all kinds of schools. Some of the biggest firms in the country are located far from top 10 schools, they take people from local law schools. But big firm work isn't for most people unless you like working 80 hour weeks even as a partner.

Same goes for judicial clerkships. They take people from the area. They are shitty jobs anyways, good for people who want to become professors or some shit. If you are going to make 40k a year, at least be a prosecutor and get some god danged real litigation exp.

but now, big firms aren't doing so hot. They are suffering. Small firms are where the jobs are, and where the money is at now. Don't listen to school reports, listen to people in the field. They'll tell you whats up.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:15 PM   #25
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I know someone who graduated Villanova law school and got a job right at graduation making 120k. Says he hates it.
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:16 PM   #26
BMOGEFan
Banned

BMOGEFan has a bad reputationBMOGEFan has a bad reputationBMOGEFan has a bad reputation

Quote:
ok reality time.

Big firms only hire very very very few people a year, and they take people from all kinds of schools. Some of the biggest firms in the country are located far from top 10 schools, they take people from local law schools. But big firm work isn't for most people unless you like working 80 hour weeks even as a partner.

Same goes for judicial clerkships. They take people from the area. They are shitty jobs anyways, good for people who want to become professors or some shit. If you are going to make 40k a year, at least be a prosecutor and get some god danged real litigation exp.

but now, big firms aren't doing so hot. They are suffering. Small firms are where the jobs are, and where the money is at now. Don't listen to school reports, listen to people in the field. They'll tell you whats up.

yup i can attest to this.

big firms go bankrupt.

in the 2 years i've been practicing. i've seen 3 law firms go bankrupt
BMOGEFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:33 PM   #27
CMsam
Banned

CMsam is starting to rub some people the wrong wayCMsam is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Hits like anything dude, the names and numbers on ur certificat mite
Help u marginally in the short term, long term it's simply about how good u are.
CMsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:04 PM   #28
Legend of Josh
Banned

Legend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMsam
Help u marginally in the short term, long term it's simply about how good u are.

Are you seriously in here attempting to add your worthless $0.02 on something that has to do with higher education, much less higher, higher education such as law school?

You're the standing in line for American Idol type who never gets anywhere in life. How could someone of your caliber credibly suggest something worthwhile to the OP's question?

Ah... wait! Hold up! Before you play the 'insurance salesmen' card stop because we've already clarified that here many different times.
Legend of Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:19 PM   #29
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMsam

So does that mean you've got neither?
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:39 PM   #30
LA_Showtime
Call me the Mamba

LA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Damn. Have fun with that. Can you get any type of financial aid (scholarships?) with a B average? I don't think I'd ever go to law school unless most of it's paid for.
LA_Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: