Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 01-10-2011, 12:48 PM   #1
Jballer
Local High School Star

Default Just Rumors but.. Would you bring Rip H or Tay P here to the Raptor?

Just stupid rumors surrounding the massive Melo trade machinations. Probably nonsense or smoke and mirrors. The Raptors would end up with Rip Hamilton or Tay Prince and a draft pick.

I love both Rip and Tay but they play at positions we have uncertainty and depth. I pressume Derozan in the "untouchable" so I have no idea what else comes out of it. I just dont know if I want to see either of these players here.

Pros:

I would hope if coming they would commit to a longer term deal. Since they play in Detroit I pressume Toronto would be a "destination choice" for either guy mid term.

Seeing Derozan mentored and guided by either Rip or Tay and using them as the 2-3 combination with Demar would be pretty fabulous.

Cons:

Both guys are getting older.

Doesnt answer the questions at 1-4-5 (albiet our 4 is a prospect and our 5 is settled as an outside in threat)
Jballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:02 PM   #2
RapsFan
Great college starter

Default Re: Just Rumors but.. Would you bring Rip H or Tay P here to the Raptor?

What rumour? I haven't heard anything....do you have a link etc? I'd be curious to read something about this.

I also have no idea what we'd be trading to get either guy.

But for me, I'd want no part of either of them. We need as many ping pong balls as possible.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:32 PM   #3
Jballer
Local High School Star

Default Re: Just Rumors but.. Would you bring Rip H or Tay P here to the Raptor?

No links...

Just a guy I know on the west coast (USA) who is ver connected in the sports business and very connected in Bball.

Spoke to him and he mentioned there were "credible rumours".
Old 01-10-2011, 05:30 PM   #4
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

I'd love to get Prince's large expirer. I want none of Rip's long term contract.
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:41 PM   #5
FCardelle
High School JV MVP

Just a question... why do we want to be under the cap? Is it to sign free agents?
FCardelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:57 PM   #6
hayden695
NBA lottery pick

F*ck no!

I liked Tay and Rip in there primes but dudes are getting old. And like someone else said we want to lose as much as possible.

We all rag on BC for keeping us in mediocrity, but this is the same thing. It would be a terrible move, unless we got a 1st rounder from them as well.
hayden695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:58 PM   #7
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCardelle
Just a question... why do we want to be under the cap? Is it to sign free agents?

It gives the team more flexibility to make moves. If you're over the cap, it's harder to make trades because you have to make salaries match etc. If your under the cap, there is a lot more freedom.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:58 PM   #8
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCardelle

Yeah there's some good players who will be free agents this summer like Marc Gasol. Being under the cap will allow us to sign these kinds of players to start rebuilding the team. Or we can just keep the cap space and be a horrible team and get the top pick next year.

I'd trade Calderon or Barbosa for Tayshaun and his expirer. Stojakovic, Prince and Evans' expirers will cut more than 30M off the payroll.
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:42 PM   #9
raptorfan_dr07
Local High School Star

I don't really see the point from a basketball standpoint. Rip doesn't make sense from any standpoint. He's still got 2 more years, after this one, on his contract at 12 mill per. Prince I'd take only for his $11 mill expirer.
raptorfan_dr07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:07 AM   #10
kmart
No props needed

Imagine if we jumped into that huge trade between the Pistons, Nuggets, and Nets and somehow acquired a Devin Harris, Rip Hamilton, or some large contract with years left on the deal.
kmart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:20 AM   #11
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart
Imagine if we jumped into that huge trade between the Pistons, Nuggets, and Nets and somehow acquired a Devin Harris, Rip Hamilton, or some large contract with years left on the deal.

"How did you find out? Who told you what I was doing?!"
Qwyjibo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:21 AM   #12
bluerap
Good High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jballer
No links...

Just a guy I know on the west coast (USA) who is ver connected in the sports business and very connected in Bball.

Spoke to him and he mentioned there were "credible rumours".

You really shouldn't post this if you don't have a legit source and call it a rumor.

Obviously this is purely made-up.

I would take prince for Jose.

If Jose goes to NJ (since they will have to give denver dharris) it will make the deal better looking to Melo. But I seriously doubt the raps get involved in this deal. It already has 13 players involved which would make it the largest deal in league history.

Last edited by bluerap : 01-11-2011 at 07:26 AM.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:36 AM   #13
b4ball
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerap
You really shouldn't post this if you don't have a legit source and call it a rumor.

I would take prince for Jose.

If Jose goes to NJ (since they will have to give denver dharris) it will make the deal better looking to Melo. But I seriously doubt the raps get involved in this deal. It already has 13 players involved which would make it the largest deal in league history.

That would mean a lot of money tied up at the point position with Billups and Calderon, won't happen, sorry.
b4ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:20 PM   #14
kmart
No props needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo

"How did you find out? Who told you what I was doing?!"
uhhh... Peja and the trade exception?
kmart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:25 AM   #15
Jballer
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerap

While I did not disclose in first post - I did disclose in 2nd post.

No not made up.

Not quoted on the internet that I found - but someone who I consider credible based on a 20 year relationship and their knowledge of basketball and position as a sports players agent in a west coast firm.

How is this any worse than "how I traded Jose on my playstation Y2K game?"

I think my reputation is hardly a negative one here. I may not be agreeable with every view but hardly a fabricator / liar or disrespectful (as I find the above to be)
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: