Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-28-2013, 06:46 PM   #256
Anti Hero
Be your own hero

Anti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: BTE.SE Biggest Thread Ever Science Edition

Quote:
Do you know what King Kong looks like? If you do, then you’ll have some idea of how Gigantopithecus looked (if not, the “giant” in the name should give you a pretty good idea). Ultimately, these creatures resembled modern day apes, only they were much, much, much larger. As the heftiest ape in history, the Gigantopithecus blacki reached 10 feet tall and weighed over 1,200 pounds (540kg).

And in some ways, this beast is a bit more like humanity than modern apes. There is one theory that was proposed by anthropologist Grover Krantz that supports the idea that Gigantopithecus was primarily bipedal (though some have argued that this research is skewed). Like the modern apes, these creatures fed primarily off plant matter.

Sadly, it seems that Homo erectus had a hand in their extinction. Their presence in the ecosystem meant that there was less food and other resources. When food became scarce, it caused greater competition between the species for what little food was left. For Gigantopithecus this competition would come from many creatures, as a number of species shared their diet. Ultimately, the large size of Gigantopithecus would have significantly counted against it because such a large body would need significantly more food in order to get the minimum level of calories to survive. What little fossil evidence we currently have does suggest that malnutrition was a real problem for these apes.

Link
Anti Hero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:10 PM   #257
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

thank you for this great thread. i used to be pretty excited about gigantopithecus until i learned it was pretty much a varient of orangutans, not homo sp after all.

btw, did you see the recent news that bigfoot fur samples strongly suggest that yetis are in fact a sundered branch of polar bears?

re: goats,
i find their acrobatic skills truly astonishing, especially for being hooved animals. meaning their center of balance is pretty high and their feet only come down to hard knobs. very much the opposite of squirrels, monkeys, etc. and yet they are undoubtedly the greatest climbers in the world (other than micro-fauna).

many of them must have perished across the millennia balancing on those treacherous paths and sheer cliffs... leaving only the superstar goats over time. the GOATest goats. :P
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:19 PM   #258
Anti Hero
Be your own hero

Anti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Regardless of your scientific background (or lack thereof), the 4th dimension is very a difficult concept to grasp. To understand just how difficult it is to envision a world with a 4th spacial dimension, let’s use a couple comparisons. First, imagine a color that doesn’t currently exist. Next, try to come up with a way to explain how an everyday color looks (like blue, for example) to someone who can’t see. Both of those things are pretty difficult, right? Well, we run into exactly the same problems when we try to imagine a 4th dimension to space. Even for those of us with the most powerful visual imaginations, trying to picture how a 4 dimensional object would look in a 3 dimensional world is impossible. Truly and utterly impossible.

However, math offers us a little assistance in this area. You see, to a mathematician, the 4th dimension can be represented using coordinate geometry and vectors within an algebraic 4 dimensional space (that sounds like a mouthful, but just look at the image to get an idea of what this means). Of course, this is only an extra DIRECTION written down on a 2D piece of paper…not an actual DIMENSION. In this sense, the coordinates would be treated in exactly the same way as the other 3 directions, so it doesn’t actually add anything new to our understanding. Still, coordinate geometry helps us grasp just how difficult comprehending a 4th dimension is for beings who live in a 3D world (like us).

So in short, understanding a world with 4 spacial dimensions is still exceedingly difficult…but, what fun would we be if we didn’t try?

One of the most effective ways of explaining this elusive dimension is to use a sequence of hypercubes, starting from the zeroth-dimension leading up to the 4th dimension (so 5 separate dimensions overall). Our first hypercube (we’ll call this “HC” for short) is the 0-HC – it occupies no volume because it doesn’t have width, length or depth. As a result, this is effectively an infinitely small point in space. This idea is used a lot in physics and mathematics to simplify scenarios and to develop equations. For example, when using Newton’s laws to create an equation for the pressure of a gas in a container, particles are assumed to have no volume. You will have also used this principle when doing even the most basic geometry in mathematics. When plotting a coordinate, before you join it up to any others, you have (in theory) created an infinitely small point in the zeroth-dimension (of course, your pencil could never be sharp enough to literally do this).

Next, take your infinitely small point and extend it in a single straight line in any direction – now you have created a 1-HC. The dimension still has no width or height, but you have given it length, and in so doing, you have put it into the 1st dimension. In theory, if you drew your new line in an infinite direction – you would actually create an entire 1 dimension – try doing that in your math book!

After this, take the 1-HC and extend it again. This time, extend it perpendicular to your original direction to create a plane (let’s pretend you made a square). This new hypercube is now in the 2nd dimension because it is able to differ in 2 measurements – width and length. We can call this the 2-HC, and similarly to your 1-HC line, if you expand the square infinitely – you would create a 2 dimensional space.

What’s the only direction left to expand our hypercube in? – height. You couldn’t do this on paper, of course, but if you have access to some 3-D computer graphing software (‘Autograph’ is good) you could try it. To do so, you must generate your 2-HC and then raise that guy up into the 3rd dimension to create a cube. The new shape has the ability to have measurements in width, length and height – but with all angles, they equal to 90 degrees. Again, this can also be expanded infinitely to make a whole 3 dimensional space, and this is obviously the dimension that we, as human, live in.

Right, now what? Well, now I ask you to stop and try to imagine a 4th direction, honestly have a go at it for a few seconds… can’t do it? We have no more directions in the 3rd dimension in which we can expand our hypercube (obviously), but it CAN be done in the 4th dimension of spacetime; we call this a tesseract. There are several ways of trying to take a perspective on viewing this expansion, but that would be very difficult to explain in this article. So instead, I will take a practical approach (that said, it is interesting to ponder this 4th expansion, and there are some good motion graphics on the web if you give it a search–like here).

Now then, picture yourself looking down on a piece of paper, and this piece of paper is home to world existing only in 2d spacetime. Even though the 2nd dimension exists within the 3rd dimension, these beings would have no idea you exist because they will have no comprehension of another direction of space (they couldn’t look up to see you because up is not a concept they can fathom). It is easy for us to say ‘height’ because we experience height – remember how difficult it was for you to think of a 4th direction? If you poked your finger through their world, it would just appear as a disk with no height (with possibly no color either) when viewed from the side. Also, if they were on the outside of a square with a dot inside, you could quite easily reach inside that square and pull out the dot. The 2-D beings would have no idea how this was possible because to them, you just somehow passed the only dimensional boundaries they know of. You would be able to do this because the 2nd dimension has a cross-section through our space.

I know that this may be a bit confusing, but it is useful to imagine how a being that existed in the 4th dimension would appear to us. We couldn’t say quite for sure how they would look, but I was once told they would look like ‘a bunch of skin blobs’. The 4-D creature would be able to see everything in our 3 dimensional space because they would exist outside our boundaries – as well as seeing INSIDE any object. This would be gruesome, but they would have the power to see inside your body and remove any one of your organs without ever having to penetrate your skin. Just as you could remove the dot by pulling it into your dimension, they could do the same to you (possibly some kind of revenge in a 2-D/4-D alliance?). Similarly, these creatures may well exist in our own universe and can live here without detection, but again, we would never be able to see them, just as 2-D beings could never see us.

Really, it’s kind of crazy to ponder. Okay. It’s SUPER crazy to ponder.

Link
Old 10-28-2013, 08:25 PM   #259
Anti Hero
Be your own hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
thank you for this great thread. i used to be pretty excited about gigantopithecus until i learned it was pretty much a varient of orangutans, not homo sp after all.

btw, did you see the recent news that bigfoot fur samples strongly suggest that yetis are in fact a sundered branch of polar bears?

re: goats,
i find their acrobatic skills truly astonishing, especially for being hooved animals. meaning their center of balance is pretty high and their feet only come down to hard knobs. very much the opposite of squirrels, monkeys, etc. and yet they are undoubtedly the greatest climbers in the world (other than micro-fauna).

many of them must have perished across the millennia balancing on those treacherous paths and sheer cliffs... leaving only the superstar goats over time. the GOATest goats. :P

You're welcome.

I had never heard they were not HS but instead Orangutan instead before. I'll get around to checking that out. Also hadn't heard about Yeti Polar Bears either, you're up on your Bigfoot game, I see .

Yea, goats are pretty gnarly. My favorite thing involving goats though is actually quite awful for them. You should check out eagle throwing goats off mountain on youtube if you haven't seen it yet.

Not sure why but I thought you mentioned homo floresiensis, I guess not but I'll still leave this here.

Quote:
Rangers at the Way Kambas National Park in Lampung, Indonesia claim to have spent much of the past month chasing what they describe to be 20-inch tall, dreadlocked pygmies.

The initial sighting reportedly happened March 20th around 6:40 pm explained Park spokesperson Sukatmoko, when rangers spotted the small beings running quickly through the forested underbrush. Park rangers believe they might be utilizing the forests Nusantara Tropical Fruit plantation to scavenge for food. When Park employees attempted to make contact with the nude pygmies they ran away very quickly, and “hid behind trees and vanished.”

The next step at the Kamas National Park is to attempt to capture the pygmies on film.

“We believe they really exist in and we’re making strenuous efforts to find them. In the event that we do, we hope the government protects them,” Sakatmoko explained to at small press conference to local reporters and academics.

Link
Old 10-28-2013, 08:43 PM   #260
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan ® 1997

Meticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

No I'm matching little timy pygmies runing around with spears yelping.
Meticode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:41 PM   #261
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti Hero
... Yea, goats are pretty gnarly. My favorite thing involving goats though is actually quite awful for them. You should check out eagle throwing goats off mountain on youtube if you haven't seen it yet.
btw, i just realised that i'm wrong about goats being the GOATest climbers (non-micro). some lizards are clearly better, including geckos, i think. they have little sticky pads which operate like no other animals, allowing them to hang upside down and stuff. still... they're a lot smaller than goats.

and yea... i've seen video of eagles doing that. a couple months ago there was also a video huge on the net that showed an eagle almost making off with a small child. not sure if it was faked or not, but it's certainly possible... and happened before.

Quote:
Not sure why but I thought you mentioned homo floresiensis, I guess not but I'll still leave this here.

http://whofortedblog.com/wp-content/...ockedpygmy.jpg

Link
hmm, interesting. a little hard to imagine, though, since remains would likely have been found much more recently than... what, 10-20K years ago?

tit for tat, did i ever mention the rat king on ISH? i'm not a cryptozooid fan, just an amateur zoologist. then again, the rat king isn't really a cryptid. and yet it's not just a rat, either. :P

Old 10-28-2013, 09:50 PM   #262
Anti Hero
Be your own hero

I've heard of the Rat King before, not sure if you mentioned it or not on here though.. I heard it mentioned on the JRE. Crazy shit for sure.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:29 PM   #263
Anti Hero
Be your own hero

Gigantes, did you listen to the Joe Rogan Questions Everything Podcast #2. talks about the Yetti/bears and bigfoot in general. It's a good one and not very long if you're interested.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:35 PM   #264
gigantes
A piece of fluff

Quote:
Gigantes, did you listen to the Joe Rogan Questions Everything Podcast #2. talks about the Yetti/bears and bigfoot in general. It's a good one and not very long if you're interested.
sorry, but joe is kind of a little brother of mine.

what did he say, exactly? he's been dead-right before...!
Old 10-29-2013, 09:40 PM   #265
Anti Hero
Be your own hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
sorry, but joe is kind of a little brother of mine.

what did he say, exactly? he's been dead-right before...!
Am I sensing sarcasm here???

Exactly?? Well, it was like an hour long podcast. I'd be writing here for a while if I wrote down what he said exactly...

Paraphrasing though, he, Duncan Trussell and Professor on Bi-Pedal Hominids had a discussion about the possibility of a large ape/orangutan living living in PNW and other areas throughout the world. Discussed the famous bigfoot video, and homo florensis a little bit. Mostly the show was about Bigfoot in general though.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:04 AM   #266
gigantes
A piece of fluff

Quote:
Am I sensing sarcasm here???

Exactly?? Well, it was like an hour long podcast. I'd be writing here for a while if I wrote down what he said exactly...

Paraphrasing though, he, Duncan Trussell and Professor on Bi-Pedal Hominids had a discussion about the possibility of a large ape/orangutan living living in PNW and other areas throughout the world. Discussed the famous bigfoot video, and homo florensis a little bit. Mostly the show was about Bigfoot in general though.
pardon me. i was a little buzzed last night. didn't mean to sound so arrogant.

joe obviously covers lots of interesting stuff. i just wish people would realise that a lot of what he's doing is pretty much just throwing pasta at the walls to see if it's al dente. sort of a poor man's TED with the same speaker covering most subjects. i kind of wish people would diversify their podcast sources, though. joe is probably like crack to some people.

otherwise, i'm not a big fan of the bigfoot pursuit. it's been on the radar for so long, and yet the evidence is still very minimal even with all the surveillance means of today. people keep underestimating the warehouse full of monkeys principle for this and so many other situations. in short, i think the chances are we should have much stronger evidence by now.

the polar bear thing at least explains how the fur samples (and stools?) can still be left on a regular basis and yet NOT be the bigfoot we're looking for. and from all archeological evidence (incl. giganto.), man never got that big anyway.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:05 PM   #267
gigantes
A piece of fluff

how to make an un-polarised LCD monitor, meaning that only by looking through polarised glasses can you see what's on screen. all others see a blank screen. total cost: about $20 - 30.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL_HAmWQTgA
Old 11-01-2013, 04:49 PM   #268
Anti Hero
Be your own hero

Quote:
Argentinosaurus is estimated to have measured an astonishing 40 meters (131 feet) from tip to tail. This is SO large that many experts doubted the reconstructions, as such an animal might not even have been able to walk!

New computer models show us how Argentinosaurus could have moved around without destroying its own joints.

Link
Old 11-01-2013, 05:03 PM   #269
Shade8780
GOATin

Shade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I feel I need to make a contribution to this thread...

Shade8780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:17 PM   #270
gigantes
A piece of fluff

isn’t the word "boffin" over there in eire?
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: