Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 01-12-2011, 07:38 PM   #1
jasonresno
Banned

Default What is the most important aspect of a persons game...

...When considering playing in a pickup game with random strangers? What would you want to have most developed? And, more importantly, what would you want your teammates to have most developed? Be realistic too. A friend and I are going to start hitting up the indoor courts here soon and there's bound to be pickup games. We're not amazing players and it'd be nice to know what's most important to work on when in a team setting like that.
jasonresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:47 AM   #2
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Default Re: What is the most important aspect of a persons game...

Bball IQ. If you know how to play the game then everything else will work itself out. Know how to space the floor, cut through on post entries (and know when to make cuts), set solid screen and roll to the basket, rotate on defense... and most importantly when playing pickup with 1's and 2's... don't give up the 2! Always keep yourself within reach of your guy's shotpocket and don't worry if he goes by you. Most people, either they are so afraid of being beat, or they are just too lazy to get up on their man and possibly have to work to defend them if they try to go by them... don't be one of those guys. It takes twice as many 1's to win so let em have their 1's if they really want em... cus they are going to have to work to get by you.

If you aren't amazing players... then you're bball IQ probably isn't that great. Definitely work on that otherwise the fact that you aren't good players will be magnified even more.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:25 PM   #3
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

Be smart and be a good ball handler. If you lose the ball every time, you won't be getting it alot. So use your basketball IQ to see opportunities and use your handle to capitalize on them.
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:47 PM   #4
01amberfirewv
Serious playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpevicis
Be smart and be a good ball handler. If you lose the ball every time, you won't be getting it alot. So use your basketball IQ to see opportunities and use your handle to capitalize on them.

Any tips on developing or improving basketball IQ for someone who has never played organized basketball? I was a runner in highschool and a weight/power lifter in college. I started playing basketball last spring and have spent a good bit of time working on ball handling. I can do all kinds of things with a basketball or even two balls but I often struggle when playing. Almost all of the guys I play with played highschool or even college ball and I have a horrible time playing consistent with them. It seems like I either have a good day where I blow by my defenders, score easy points and make good passes or a horrible day where my passes are uncatachable and I dribble off my toes when under pressure. I get hot in some games but my shot is not very consistent either. I don't have a hoop to practice on regularly so its hard to improve on that.
01amberfirewv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 04:59 AM   #5
KokoWarzone
Can barely lace up my sneakers

in my opinion it's heart
KokoWarzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:06 PM   #6
GhostDeini32
serenity now

the problem with playing with randoms in pickup ball is you need to make your mark early.

do what you do best, but do it efficiently so you will at least see the ball. don't make the mistake of trying to over distribute the ball, you gotta get yours.

all the advice given was good, especially about the 2 pointers. if you can shoot, I would say shoot around for a while before even playing any pickup games. it pays off in the long run.
GhostDeini32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:51 AM   #7
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01amberfirewv
Any tips on developing or improving basketball IQ for someone who has never played organized basketball? I was a runner in highschool and a weight/power lifter in college. I started playing basketball last spring and have spent a good bit of time working on ball handling. I can do all kinds of things with a basketball or even two balls but I often struggle when playing. Almost all of the guys I play with played highschool or even college ball and I have a horrible time playing consistent with them. It seems like I either have a good day where I blow by my defenders, score easy points and make good passes or a horrible day where my passes are uncatachable and I dribble off my toes when under pressure. I get hot in some games but my shot is not very consistent either. I don't have a hoop to practice on regularly so its hard to improve on that.

Yea practice and watch youtube videos. That's what I did... and I went from a streaky shooter who had to either be on fire or hustle my ass off to a knockdown shooter (consistent) who knows how to get people in good situations.

It does depend who you are playing with tho. If nobody else on your team really knows how to play the game, then you need to be able to score on your own... otherwise the little nuances that make an organized team successful just won't make a difference. For a person who is not very capable of getting their own shot, they need to play with other smart players to really shine... cus then everyone is on the same page. A scorer can do it anywhere with anyone.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:57 AM   #8
KokoWarzone
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
Yea practice and watch youtube videos. That's what I did... and I went from a streaky shooter who had to either be on fire or hustle my ass off to a knockdown shooter (consistent) who knows how to get people in good situations.

It does depend who you are playing with tho. If nobody else on your team really knows how to play the game, then you need to be able to score on your own... otherwise the little nuances that make an organized team successful just won't make a difference. For a person who is not very capable of getting their own shot, they need to play with other smart players to really shine... cus then everyone is on the same page. A scorer can do it anywhere with anyone.

hey swaggin916 what videos do you watch in youtube to improve your game? currently im in the situation that you are from before right now.

well except im playing in a pick up games near our house with friends/classmates 2 times a week sometimes 1x a week.

Last edited by KokoWarzone : 01-17-2011 at 09:04 AM.
KokoWarzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:44 AM   #9
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KokoWarzone
hey swaggin916 what videos do you watch in youtube to improve your game? currently im in the situation that you are from before right now.

well except im playing in a pick up games near our house with friends/classmates 2 times a week sometimes 1x a week.

I don't know man you just got to search around... I just found all sorts of random videos that helped... also I searched a little bit on google. Just type in something like "Basketball floor spacing and cutting." and I'm sure you will find something. It's just basketball fundamentals.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: