Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Old 01-05-2011, 04:55 AM   #1
LilBTheBasedGod

Default Lets talk about Kemba Walker

The guy is leading the nation in PPG right? Whats his draft stock and his NBA potential?
Old 01-05-2011, 07:40 AM   #2
JellyBean
College superstar

Default Re: Lets talk about Kemba Walker

Last time I checked, which was a week ago, Kemba was leading the nation in scoring. But he has come back down to earth a bit now. As for his draft stock and NBA potential? Some NBA "experts" have really given him some props after his strong performance in the summer against some of the NBA players. Plus he has really made a mark with his strong performance at the start of the season. So his stock as risen. Last time I looked at a mock draft, he was in the top ten. But a lot really depends on what happens with the rest of the season. If he can get UConn to finish in the top 3 of the Big East and help the program reach the Elite Eight of the NCAA, he just cashed a check for a lottery pick. If he stumbles and we fall into the middle of the pack, he will be strong 2nd rounder for sure. But he does have NBA potential that is for sure.
JellyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:45 AM   #3
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

What a shock, someone who rarely posts in the college forum has a question that is only related to a guy's NBA future. Don't we have an NBA Draft forum specifically for this? Don't get me wrong, I love the NBA every bit as much as college basketball, but this would be like me going to the NBA forum only to talk about how guys used to be in college, except far more annoying since we don't know what kind of NBA player guys are gonna be.

To answer the question, though, I'd put Walker behind Kyrie Irving, Josh Selby and Demetri McCamey, personally.

I think Walker can be a good change-of-pace scoring guard off the bench like Bobby Jackson or Jason Terry- or like Mo Williams should be- but I don't think he's a true point guard who you want running an NBA offense.

The same might be true of Selby but he's a different level of explosive who could be a better shooting Russell Westbrook. He's a score-first guard, too, but he's younger, bigger and more explosive than Walker.

Irving, despite injury, was clearly the best point guard in the country before going down and compares well to Chris Paul at the same age. There's not a lot else to say about him that hasn't already been said. If he comes out and the injury isn't lingering, he's a top-three pick. He doesn't have the same type of size and explosiveness as Rose or Wall but he's the best pure, classic-style point guard to enter college since CP3.

McCamey is a rarity as a senior who's a 1st-round prospect, but he's again among the nation's leaders in assists and is looking more like a Deron Williams clone every day: the same size/strength, preturnatural playmaking ability and he's a threat to score at all three levels, with NBA range on his outside shot (35 of 67 from three this year). He has a terrific feel for the pick-and-roll/pop and might only get better in the NBA once running a pro-style, pick-and-roll based offense where he can penetrate more instead of facilitating a motion offense, just like Deron did coming out of the same system at Illinois.

I'm not quite as high on Walker as a future pro as some others might be. I think, though, it's important to remember that his team NEEDS him to score like this. That's not the case for McCamey, Irving, or Selby. So the fact that he has so much offensive responsibility on his plate and is coming through is impressive. That he's doing so in such a tremendously efficient manner is even more impressive. He's also an excellent on-ball defender and did play more of a facilitating style his freshman and sophomore years, so he has more going for him than just gaudy scoring numbers.

If I could be convinced he can be a pro-style point guard and effectively run an NBA offense, I might have him only behind Irving. If I don't see evidence of it, I'd consider not only having those three ahead of him, but possibly Brandon Knight as well if he continues to do a better job taking care of the ball. (I think Knight is a Ben Gordon clone, though, and not a point guard.)

Ultimately, I don't know if NBA types are going to be wooed by huge scoring numbers on what will ultimately prove to be a fairly average UConn team. It's the other stuff that is either going to put (or keep, depending on your perspective of where he's currently projected) him in the lottery.

Last edited by TheGame414 : 01-06-2011 at 01:52 AM.
TheGame414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:05 PM   #4
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

There was a pretty well written piece on ESPN comparing Kemba to Tony Parker, which isn't something I really agree with. Parker for one is a lot bigger than he's given credit for. But there are some similarities in that both sort of force the tempo, and are almost overly agressive coming off the pick and roll. Both also have an unusually good knack for scoring in traffic. Walker is probably a more physical gifted athlete, but I don't think he's nearly as crafty with the ball, and what he gives up in size will show up more against NBA athletes. Like I said, I'm not crazy about the comp, but it was well enough written that it gave me some pause for thought.

My big issue with the praise he's gotten for this hot start is that he's shooting unnaturally well on two point field goals. Well in ways that even true interior bigs don't shoot. I don't remember the number, but it's rediculously high, and will come down. It lends itself to him returning to the mean to some degree. And unfortunatelly part of his problem is that he's never been a great decision maker, and some of that is being masked by the fact that everything is going in at the moment. So when his shooting does come back to earth, it's not only going to make people think he's not as great a scorer as they do now, but it's going to make people also remember that he's not really a PG either.

I've been a McCamey guy for a few years now too. But I always dig big PGs. And I've been on Irving too since he was a Soph. He's a guy you only have to see a few times, and he doesn't even have to produce, yet it's still obvious he's a difference maker all the time.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:01 PM   #5
KG215
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Am I the only one that sees a poor man's version of Allen Iverson in Kemba Walker? Obviously he's not as talented and doesn't have the ceiling of Iverson, but today's game against Texas reminded of AI a little. He took 27 shots to get 22 points but played fearlessly all game. He attacks the rim relentlessly, and will not back down in crucial moments. You knew he was taking that last shot against Texas today, and of course it went in.

Again, not saying he's the next AI, just some similarities in their games. Ultra-quick, undersized 2-guard, who you would like to play PG based on size, but his skills make him much more suitable playing off the ball.
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:09 PM   #6
jazz873
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG215
Am I the only one that sees a poor man's version of Allen Iverson in Kemba Walker? Obviously he's not as talented and doesn't have the ceiling of Iverson, but today's game against Texas reminded of AI a little. He took 27 shots to get 22 points but played fearlessly all game. He attacks the rim relentlessly, and will not back down in crucial moments. You knew he was taking that last shot against Texas today, and of course it went in.

Again, not saying he's the next AI, just some similarities in their games. Ultra-quick, undersized 2-guard, who you would like to play PG based on size, but his skills make him much more suitable playing off the ball.
I can see it
jazz873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:27 PM   #7
GhostDeini32
serenity now

i love his ability to create space (game-winner on the step back) and attack the basket fearlessly.

his game, i would think, would translate well to the NBA.
GhostDeini32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:12 PM   #8
UConnCeltics
Celtics/Red Sox/Eagles

Kemba Walker is the next Kemba Walker. A top flight 6th man is what he will be in the league I think, instant scoring off the bench. Has star potential for sure though.
UConnCeltics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:27 PM   #9
KG215
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UConnCeltics
Kemba Walker is the next Kemba Walker. A top flight 6th man is what he will be in the league I think, instant scoring off the bench. Has star potential for sure though.

I like Game's comparisons, too, of Jason Terry and Bobby Jackson. A borderline superstar who can provide a great scoring spark as a 6th man. Kind of like you're describing him.
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:06 PM   #10
UConnCeltics
Celtics/Red Sox/Eagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG215
I like Game's comparisons, too, of Jason Terry and Bobby Jackson. A borderline superstar who can provide a great scoring spark as a 6th man. Kind of like you're describing him.
I didn't read his gargantuan post, but it seems that the people who post here have kind of the same view to enlighten these NBA forum tards with.
UConnCeltics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:08 PM   #11
rosonviyavong
Raps, Jazz, and UCONN

Very fun player to watch and because of him the Huskies are at the top again. He'll proababy be drafted a little bit after the lottery.
rosonviyavong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:39 PM   #12
LilBTheBasedGod

Man this n*gga is straight up clutch.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: