Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-15-2011, 09:49 PM   #16
LA_Showtime
Call me the Mamba

Default Re: Who hates giant tests that your future depends on?

Just put in perspective. You've gone to school for 4 or 5 years and the only thing standing in your way is this test. Hopefully you've gone to class and applied yourself. You know this information. Study, relax, and remember you have 3 chances to pass it. At the very worst you have to wait another 3 months.
LA_Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:27 PM   #17
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

School always gave me terrible anxiety, but the relief of completely a big test/project, and getting solid results......there are few better feelings than knowing your hard work and effort paid off.
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:45 PM   #18
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Texas Bar Exam:

3 hours first day, short answer.
6 hours second day, multiple choice.
6 hours 3rd day, essays.
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:48 PM   #19
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezznor
Texas Bar Exam:

3 hours first day, short answer.
6 hours second day, multiple choice.
6 hours 3rd day, essays.

Yeah, I don't envy law and med students.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:57 PM   #20
Maga_1
NBA sixth man of the year

Good luck my fellow Blazer !
Maga_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:58 PM   #21
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year

i don't mind tests one at a time. what stresses me out is multiple tests on different subjects at one time. i can't multi task so usually i do awesome in one test, two i will do ok, and one i will just scrape through. going into third year now i'm going to actually have to move from casual uni student to studious uni student.
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:00 PM   #22
playtetris
soundcloud->solarcism

here's a nice little question that you may or may not be able to answer.

a client with clinical depression misses his/her medication (SSRI/SNRI) for a day, comes to you reporting "brain zaps" (what almost feels like mini neural seizures) and asks you what they are and whether the medication is correct.

can you answer?
playtetris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:04 PM   #23
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

I was going to start a thread a while ago to see people's opinions about the use of standardized test taking in the school system. Not the racial issues that have been beaten to death but the potential adverse effects on creative development and the restraints it places on cirriculum. Im interested especially opinion from people on ISH who have spent time working as educators.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:37 PM   #24
Myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by playtetris
here's a nice little question that you may or may not be able to answer.

a client with clinical depression misses his/her medication (SSRI/SNRI) for a day, comes to you reporting "brain zaps" (what almost feels like mini neural seizures) and asks you what they are and whether the medication is correct.

can you answer?

Medication is not my expertise. I would consult with the client's medication provider (assuming I have or can get a release). I would would then delve into their experience and if they have a pattern of missing medication, I would work with them to figure out how future lapses of medication can be prevented (or even see if there is a reason behind them skipping meds beyond the "Oops, I forgot"). If there is persistent neurological issues, I would refer them out to a neuropsychologist.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:42 PM   #25
Myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
I was going to start a thread a while ago to see people's opinions about the use of standardized test taking in the school system. Not the racial issues that have been beaten to death but the potential adverse effects on creative development and the restraints it places on cirriculum. Im interested especially opinion from people on ISH who have spent time working as educators.

I think it depends on the purpose of the test for me. In the younger grades, standardized tests are not often seen as useful because they put pressure on teachers to get the kids to "pass the test" rather than simply get the kids to enjoy learning so they can be more productive in the future. However, I have no problem with standardized tests to test competence (like the one I am taking). The purpose of this test isn't for me to learn (the learning should have already happened in the program). Instead, the purpose of the test is to make sure I have learned enough to not put the public that I work with in harms way.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:46 PM   #26
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
I think it depends on the purpose of the test for me. In the younger grades, standardized tests are not often seen as useful because they put pressure on teachers to get the kids to "pass the test" rather than simply get the kids to enjoy learning so they can be more productive in the future. However, I have no problem with standardized tests to test competence (like the one I am taking). The purpose of this test isn't for me to learn (the learning should have already happened in the program). Instead, the purpose of the test is to make sure I have learned enough to not put the public that I work with in harms way.

Yeah, I should have specified that I meant standardized testing in secondary education. Testing for professional licenses and other things is a whole different ball game.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:47 PM   #27
sixerfan82
College star

I remember during highschool, I used to come home after a test and walk around the house saying "oh i failed it, i didn't know this, i couldn't remember that".

Usually came out with a B or better.

The fact that you're placing so much importance on what it means rather than focusing on what you may or may not remember/retain/already know means that you know your stuff and if you can find a way to realize that it's just a test, you've got it made.
sixerfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:50 PM   #28
Myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixerfan82
I remember during highschool, I used to come home after a test and walk around the house saying "oh i failed it, i didn't know this, i couldn't remember that".

Usually came out with a B or better.

The fact that you're placing so much importance on what it means rather than focusing on what you may or may not remember/retain/already know means that you know your stuff and if you can find a way to realize that it's just a test, you've got it made.

I'd normally agree with this, but the scary part is that the way the scoring criteria is set for this test makes it so it is pretty much A or F. If it is not damn near perfect, you fail.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:26 AM   #29
Joshumitsu
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meticode
They had a study on ABC News the other night about test-taking. They said that people who wrote down their fear of failures down before they took a test did 54% better than people who didn't write down the fear or failures or what might happen.

Basically you need to clear your mind of what's going to happen if you don't do well, so you have a better chance of doing well.

So true.

Fear is only relative to the ends we project.
Joshumitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:28 AM   #30
Go Getter
Wild 100's

NO one test will determine your future. Of course I hope and wish you do well but in the slight chance that you don't, you can always bounce back from it.

Good luck man.
Go Getter is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: