Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 01-17-2011, 08:58 PM   #1
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

carpevicis has an OK reputation so far
Default Conditioning

I can't last very long in a pickup game, especially when my defender is a tough guard. I get worn down, so my defense and my offense suffers. How can I fix this?

My normal conditioning isn't bad. I can run 2 miles in around 13 minutes and I'm not weak. But when it comes to a game, I've been feeling really exhausted lately.
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:12 AM   #2
623baller
dedicate

623baller has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Conditioning

control your tempo, if you are getting winded that probably means you cant keep up with the flow of the game

this happens often when people get too hyped up and go all out on every possession

do more interval training, liners, suicides, agility drills,
you need to get used to going at different pace, you dont stay in 1 speed in a basketball game

meanwhile, try to use more screens to get open or get by the defender
623baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:27 AM   #3
SourPatchKids
Banned

SourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

What's the difference between a liner and a suicide? Is a suicide just a liner on both sides?
SourPatchKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:15 AM   #4
1manfastbreak
just win

1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster

long distance doesnt do too much for basketball, next time you run 2 miles, jog/walk the turns and sprint the straight aways. that will get you conditioned
1manfastbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:06 AM   #5
GhostDeini32
serenity now

GhostDeini32 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourPatchKids
What's the difference between a liner and a suicide? Is a suicide just a liner on both sides?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPL487ToJt8
GhostDeini32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:58 PM   #6
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

carpevicis has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1manfastbreak
long distance doesnt do too much for basketball, next time you run 2 miles, jog/walk the turns and sprint the straight aways. that will get you conditioned

I don't train using long distance, I always train using sprints and low rep/high weight movements for power. But what I meant with my 2 mile example was that I'm not in bad shape or anything, but I can't keep up in a normal game.
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:40 PM   #7
ghettoracer
I airball my layups

ghettoracer has an OK reputation so far

yep, you need to add full speed sprints. they don't need to be far like 50 yard+, just 10, 20, or 25 yard is good enough. but go all out. and then walk/jog slow for a few minutes, repeat.
ghettoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:07 AM   #8
DUP
ambition

DUP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDUP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDUP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDUP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDUP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDUP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDUP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDUP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDUP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDUP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDUP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

suicides bring good memories
DUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:35 PM   #9
scm5
Decent college freshman

scm5 has an OK reputation so far

Breath in through your nose out through your mouth.

If you already do that, you can save a lot of energy by playing the angles.

Example: Instead of chasing someone all over the court, save energy by playing the angles between the ball and your defensive assignment. You don't need to chase him all around the court as long as you cut off the passing angles.
scm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:02 AM   #10
Rake2204
5-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by 623baller
control your tempo, if you are getting winded that probably means you cant keep up with the flow of the game

this happens often when people get too hyped up and go all out on every possession
This is going to sound terribly ignorant, as if I have no experience playing the game. But, I've had a hard time lately identifying my proper flow. If I don't go all out all the time, I feel like I'm playing restrained. But then if I go all out all the time, I'm out of energy very quickly. Clearly, I think there needs to be a middle ground, but it's not always that easy to locate.

In my case, I'm always looking to push myself in the games I play. If I become absolutely exaushed after a hypothetical 10 minute pick-up game one day, I will push a little further so I may become capable of running for 11 minutes the next.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 03:29 PM   #11
623baller
dedicate

623baller has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
This is going to sound terribly ignorant, as if I have no experience playing the game. But, I've had a hard time lately identifying my proper flow. If I don't go all out all the time, I feel like I'm playing restrained. But then if I go all out all the time, I'm out of energy very quickly. Clearly, I think there needs to be a middle ground, but it's not always that easy to locate.

In my case, I'm always looking to push myself in the games I play. If I become absolutely exaushed after a hypothetical 10 minute pick-up game one day, I will push a little further so I may become capable of running for 11 minutes the next.

you need to know what's your role on the court to determine how you want to play

just to state the obvious,

if you play long minutes then you need to be able to pace yourself know when to go hard and when to let off

if you are an energy type of player off the bench, then you need to go all out on every single posession during your time on the court

generally, it's the coach's job to know when to take a player in and out of the game

most pick up games are much more relaxed than a regulation game so it should be relatively hard to get winded unless one of the team is constantly pushing the ball and getting out of the break
623baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:33 PM   #12
bobbyflay
Kids at the park dunk on me

bobbyflay has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204

Yeah, I have that problem too. I somewhat fixed it by adding a sort of skipping 1-2 motion(trust me it works. I even once tricked 5 people. I literally faked 4 passes with just head fakes and got an easy layup). I do a sort of fake sprinting where I actually jog then just pull up a 3 or dish it off to someone at the last moment. However, when I advance the ball under pressure, I go the same speed resulting in like 3-5 turnovers. Luckily, there is always one lazy guy who doesn't want to go on offense and stays in the back defending and passes it back to me where I pass to another person for a fast break because the almost all 5 players of the other team rushes to the offense when they see me turnover.
bobbyflay is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: