Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-18-2011, 11:48 PM   #16
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

IGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Recently Graduated...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
Educational debt for professional school is not a bad debt. I paid mine off in half the time I was allotted.

depends on the school and the profession.

Last edited by IGOTGAME : 01-18-2011 at 11:50 PM.
IGOTGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:55 PM   #17
GatorKid117
Oh the Bealsanity

GatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuckey
how much are you guys down in the states paying per course?

164 per credit hour.
GatorKid117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:58 PM   #18
GhostDeini32
serenity now

GhostDeini32 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheyhigh
what are you studying? im attending community then transferring out to universtiy as soon as i get my pre requisites.

when i worked for a law firm, some lady called asking if she could file bankruptcy for her 200,000 debt in school loans...she attended law school but wasn't able to pass the bar, she used all her exam attempts(in cali). that bar over in cali is no joke, considered one of the most difficult to pass in the nation. sucks for her...you can't rid of school loans through bankruptcy.

yeah man.. thats like the horror story of law school. you can't pass the bar, now what? you fukced.

i lack the confidence to do law now cuz of these stories.
GhostDeini32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:59 PM   #19
GhostDeini32
serenity now

GhostDeini32 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
Getting a Doctorate in Clinical Psychology. I have my Clinical Competency Exam on Friday.

this is something i was looking into, but for what i want to do it would just be overkill i think.

good luck myth, you will need it...

mwahahhahah!!!

naw i'm ****ing with you. good luck homie.
GhostDeini32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:59 AM   #20
wheyhigh
Banned

wheyhigh is a pretty well-respected posterwheyhigh is a pretty well-respected posterwheyhigh is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
Getting a Doctorate in Clinical Psychology. I have my Clinical Competency Exam on Friday.
nice. so you're going to be the next dr drew? jk man. i always had an interest in psychology because i thought it would help me get laid more.
wheyhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:07 AM   #21
Scientist
Banned

Scientist has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostDeini32
this is something i was looking into, but for what i want to do it would just be overkill i think.

good luck myth, you will need it...

mwahahhahah!!!

naw i'm ****ing with you. good luck homie.

lol @ this guy
Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:12 PM   #22
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I have approximately $15,000 in student loans to pay back.
Rake2204 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:18 PM   #23
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuckey
how much are you guys down in the states paying per course?
Its highly variable. Its cheap as shit here at Texas A&M (basically its about $90 a credit hour, with about the same amount in fees for a 12-15 credit load- instate tuition of course). Out of state is always more and private schools tend to be the highest.

I just finished my PhD program with 0 in student loans. I would suggest that anyone considering grad school (not prof school) look into what kind of $ a program is willing to give you to bring you in. About half of my friends finish with minimal debt, and the other half have 50k+ (one dude close to 200k). Also, try and live frugally. I know one dude who stays enrolled (he started his masters program before I started my PhD program) so he can take out student loans to pay his rent and living expenses. very dumb idea.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:19 PM   #24
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostDeini32
yeah man.. thats like the horror story of law school. you can't pass the bar, now what? you fukced.

i lack the confidence to do law now cuz of these stories.
I know multiple young lawyers who have passed the bar in their various states and cant find work in their field (they arent looking to be public defenders or trial attorneys). Not a great market right now from what I gather.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:21 PM   #25
wheyhigh
Banned

wheyhigh is a pretty well-respected posterwheyhigh is a pretty well-respected posterwheyhigh is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
Its highly variable. Its cheap as shit here at Texas A&M (basically its about $90 a credit hour, with about the same amount in fees for a 12-15 credit load- instate tuition of course). Out of state is always more and private schools tend to be the highest.

I just finished my PhD program with 0 in student loans. I would suggest that anyone considering grad school (not prof school) look into what kind of $ a program is willing to give you to bring you in. About half of my friends finish with minimal debt, and the other half have 50k+ (one dude close to 200k). Also, try and live frugally. I know one dude who stays enrolled (he started his masters program before I started my PhD program) so he can take out student loans to pay his rent and living expenses. very dumb idea.

90$/credit is really good for a state university...community prices are 71/credit here in arizona
Old 01-19-2011, 12:28 PM   #26
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Quote:

90$/credit is really good for a state university...community prices are 71/credit here in arizona
yeah, its shockingly cheap, but the fees are bigger than at other schools I have been at.

For example, when I took some courses at Western Michigan back in 2002, it was ~$280 per credit hour, but the fees were relatively modest. At TAMU, the fees are almost as much as the tuition IIRC. A 9 credit hour load (full time grad student) cost about 2700 a semester 2 years ago.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:05 PM   #27
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
yeah, its shockingly cheap, but the fees are bigger than at other schools I have been at.

For example, when I took some courses at Western Michigan back in 2002, it was ~$280 per credit hour, but the fees were relatively modest. At TAMU, the fees are almost as much as the tuition IIRC. A 9 credit hour load (full time grad student) cost about 2700 a semester 2 years ago.
By the time I was finishing up at WMU in early 2009, I was dropping about $8000 per year. In fact, I have some wacky numbers with me right off hand (vis Kalamazoo Gazette):

Freshman In-State Tuition at WMU in 2000-2001: $4,094
Freshman In-State Tuition at WMU in 2009-2010; $8,032
Rake2204 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:19 PM   #28
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
By the time I was finishing up at WMU in early 2009, I was dropping about $8000 per year. In fact, I have some wacky numbers with me right off hand (vis Kalamazoo Gazette):

Freshman In-State Tuition at WMU in 2000-2001: $4,094
Freshman In-State Tuition at WMU in 2009-2010; $8,032
man what a massive increase. double over 8 years? 12.5% increase each year (or did I do that wrong?). Damn, and they are hiring less profs than ever and having more TA and "instructor" led classes (as well as bigger class sizes) every year. Way too much redundant overhead at universities.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:22 PM   #29
wheyhigh
Banned

Quote:

dang...yeah i'm not looking forward to the amount of debt i will be in...
Old 01-19-2011, 02:25 PM   #30
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Quote:
dang...yeah i'm not looking forward to the amount of debt i will be in...
well play it smart. move to the state you want to go to school in and work there for a year before you enroll. honestly, even at 8k/year, a student should be able to get through college by working part-time during the year and full time during the summer with just a small amount of debt. Its students living beyond their means (eating out, going to bars, buying videogames, clothes they dont need, etc) that causes them to run up massive debt (other than going to an expensive school).
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: