Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-18-2011, 08:53 PM   #1
Raj Da Dodge
Welcome to the New Age

Default Sports Biographies

What are some good sports biographies? I don't read AT ALL unless I have to but when I do read for fun its always bout sports. So thinkin bout collecting some good ones and thinkin bout starting to read some. So far on my list I have these that I'm thinkin of buying:

-Book of Basketball
-Physics of Basketball
-The Jordan Rules
-Seven Seconds or Less: My Season on the Bench with the Runnin and Gunnin Phoenix Suns
-Driven from Within
-Playing For Keeps
-Rare Air: Michael on Michael
-When the Game Was Ours
-Pyramid of Success Playbook

I know my list is all basketball but they don't have to be all about basketball. I'm sure there are A LOT of good non basketball books. What'd yall suggest?
Raj Da Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:12 PM   #2
GhostDeini32
serenity now

Default Re: Sports Biographies

i've recommended this before, but check out The Last Shot.

It chronicles Stephon Marbury and his Coney Island Co. as they lead Lincoln High Basketball to the top ranks of the NYC circuit.

But it goes beyond basketball and really delves deep into what these kids go through as high school phenoms in a world where everyone wants a piece.

It was a good book.
GhostDeini32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:04 AM   #3
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Pretty much none of those are Bios. I'm not usually a big Bio guy, especially of the sports variety. But I've read a couple Wilt Chamberlain Bios. There's one that was better than the others, and not the one he ghost wrote.

I read Walter Payton's which was pretty good. He was an incredible guy. He basically saved Christmas in the city of Chicago for all the children who were wards of the state. It's not great, but it's ok. I only read it because I was a huge fan.

I really liked Let Me Tell You a Story, by Feinstien, as told to by Red Aurbach. A ton of hoops history told through anecdotes.

And I loved The Miracle of St. Anthony's. It was supposed to be Bob Hurley's last season as a coach. A hugely touted senior class that never grew, and never went anywhere as far as big time college or pro's go, but they went undefeated against a monstrous schedule of teams loaded with eventual pros, travelling around the country. It's a team's team reading.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:51 PM   #4
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

As Bad As I Wanna Be - Dennis Rodman - Great book to read and I absolutely loved it. He doesn't care about telling it how it is and there's some great stuff in there.

His Life and Times - Muhammad Ali - Before reading it, I didn't know about half the stuff that went on, that was mention in the book. It really does explain a lot and delve into what Ali was like as a person.

Maravich - Pete Maravich -Not only just a great biography, but just a great book in general and definitely one of my favourites, possibly my favourite. I recommend this to any basketball fan.
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: