Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-05-2006, 02:18 AM   #1
LakerRaider
Great college starter

LakerRaider has an OK reputation so far
Default OT: Are Television Dramas/Sitcoms Actually Coming Back? Where Is Real Music? Man.

The past few years the networks have been flooded with Reality Television shows. One network started it, it was successful, then other networks picked up on it and decided to showcase them based on shock value rather than substance.

It was all fun at first because "Who Wants To Marry A Millionaire" was a big deal because there wasn't anything like it at the time and everybody wanted to see what the chosen girl would do once she would find out he was actually a construction worker instead of a millionaire.

The only reality shows I kind of followed in the past were American Idol (kind of), The Player, and Making of Da Band. The Real World fell off a little bit with the last memorable show being the Real World, the episode with Tek and Ruth. The Real World looks like it might be alright again with their episode in Denver. I'm not really a big reality television person, but those shows caught my attention.

These reality shows got boring after a while, but slowly but surely, shows were making a comeback with Everybody Loves Raymond, King of Queens, George Lopez Show, My Wife & Kids, now Heroes and Studio 60, and of course how can anybody forget Law & Order??? What do people think of Kenny Stabler's new partner??? She's hella fine huh??? Yeah man.

I find myself these days listening to music from way back when. I'm a huge R&B fan. R&B in the mainstream was cool in the 1990's and early 2000's with Boyz II Men, Jodeci, 112, Donell Jones, Jagged Edge, Usher, Dru Hill, Mary J. Blige, Ginuwine and so much more. People actually were excited about those artists putting albums out. It was actually exciting for an artist to release a song or an album. Nowadays, it's whatever, because the artists these days don't put much thought or creativity in their work, they just follow a general formula; booty + bling + sensual music = the greatest R&B record these days.

Even artists like Marilyn Manson, KoRn, System of a Down, Papa Roach, Fuel, Blink 182, and so many more rock artists, who I don't really listen to, but I respect because they were high on the charts at one point aren't really on the charts anymore.

Music shows like TRL and 106th & Park used to be fun to watch. AJ and Free used to keep the audience entertained, as did Carson Daly, Matt Pinfield, and Ananda Lewis. The Basement on BET was a nice place to kick it at because of Tigga's energy and Hits on the Street was hilarious.

Anybody remember that old show with Matt Pinfield called farmclub or something where aspiring artists try to get their music out there??? That show is what made Sonique famous.

I think I know why music isn't what it used to be. So many people are downloading music now that the most people buying CD's these days are those hardcore fans part of the artists' street team or something. It doesn't really give a true representation of the artist's worth or his or her talent.

I feel old because I find myself reminiscing about the past alot these days, especially about music since I love music. I'm 25, which is pretty old to some, but not that old to others. I don't know. Is this kind of thing normal??? Anybody feel the same way??? Sorry for posting this on the main forum, but I feel that more people check this forum out, and hoping people will relate to what I'm saying.
LakerRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 03:03 AM   #2
SCdac
Very good NBA starter

SCdac has a terrific reputationSCdac has a terrific reputationSCdac has a terrific reputationSCdac has a terrific reputationSCdac has a terrific reputation

The only real constant on television, in my opinion, is HBO. Solid programming that has done nothing but thrived throughout the years.

But I would agree that things aren't the same they used to be, at least in the 80's and 90's. Television has become more commercial and predictable. Music the same in a sense. Mainstream taking over more than ever, radio and television stations slaves to ratings and familiarity.

I miss old MTV; Beavis & Butthead, The State (sketch comedy), The Maxx, Singled Out, My So Called Live, "Alternative" music, actual music videos all day long, first few seasons of Real World when they would cast actual eccentric and unique people (Puck, etc, etc) - not frat-dudes and sorostitutes.

Other than that, I have never been a big R&B guy. Only songs I remember have to do with exgirlfriends and crap. Good genre, but not my thing. Was more into "alternative", rock, metal (Pantera, etc), death metal (Cannibal Corpse, etc) back then. Listened to alot of Prodigy, NIN, industrial stuff too. Don't want to digress, too much music to name.

Downloading, and ultra-fast internet (remember when the internet was actually *gasp* slow?), has definitely caused change. Nowadays people wouldn't even think about buying a cd, back then that's what it was all about. Always comes back to the big question, "how much is music 'public domain'?, or is it at all?"

Most of all, I miss good movies. Movies that weren't afraid to tank. Movies that were ORIGINAL (that's a sin in Hollywood nowadays). We live in the age of the "remake" right now.

lol sorry if I'm rambling. But I agree, things just ain't the same nowadays. TV, Music, you name it.
SCdac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 03:11 AM   #3
Cool
NBA rookie of the year

Cool is considered somewhat coolCool is considered somewhat cool

You like the show Studio 60 and Law and Order SVU Lakerraider? I love those shows. They are the 2 best shows on Television.

Last edited by Cool : 12-05-2006 at 03:13 AM.
Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 03:18 AM   #4
LakerRaider
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCdac
The only real constant on television, in my opinion, is HBO. Solid programming that has done nothing but thrived throughout the years.

But I would agree that things aren't the same they used to be, at least in the 80's and 90's. Television has become more commercial and predictable. Music the same in a sense. Mainstream taking over more than ever, radio and television stations slaves to ratings and familiarity.

I miss old MTV; Beavis & Butthead, The State (sketch comedy), The Maxx, Singled Out, My So Called Live, "Alternative" music, actual music videos all day long, first few seasons of Real World when they would cast actual eccentric and unique people (Puck, etc, etc) - not frat-dudes and sorostitutes.

Other than that, I have never been a big R&B guy. Only songs I remember have to do with exgirlfriends and crap. Good genre, but not my thing. Was more into "alternative", rock, metal (Pantera, etc), death metal (Cannibal Corpse, etc) back then. Listened to alot of Prodigy, NIN, industrial stuff too. Don't want to digress, too much music to name.

Downloading, and ultra-fast internet (remember when the internet was actually *gasp* slow?), has definitely caused change. Nowadays people wouldn't even think about buying a cd, back then that's what it was all about. Always comes back to the big question, "how much is music 'public domain'?, or is it at all?"

Most of all, I miss good movies. Movies that weren't afraid to tank. Movies that were ORIGINAL (that's a sin in Hollywood nowadays). We live in the age of the "remake" right now.
lol sorry if I'm rambling. But I agree, things just ain't the same nowadays. TV, Music, you name it.

Don't worry man, I was rambling too. Yeah as far as remakes are concerned, it's not only with movies, but with music as well, craziness.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:19 AM   #5
LakerRaider
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool
You like the show Studio 60 and Law and Order SVU Lakerraider? I love those shows. They are the 2 best shows on Television.

Yeah man, Law & Order is cool, and I'm slowly getting attached to Studio 60.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:23 AM   #6
Cool
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakerRaider
Yeah man, Law & Order is cool, and I'm slowly getting attached to Studio 60.

Great I love those show they are very good. But the best of the 2 is Law and Order SVU. Which Law and Order do you like? Is it SVU, Criminal Intent, or the Original one. I love SVU that is the most creative show. It has so many twists and turn you never know whats gonna happen. Its an amazing show.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:28 AM   #7
Heretik32
Myrrh

Heretik32 is considered somewhat coolHeretik32 is considered somewhat coolHeretik32 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
and so many more rock artists, who I don't really listen to, but I respect because they were high on the charts at one point aren't really on the charts anymore.

The charts, good old bulwark of quality.

Sorry, but although I already had to try hard to get that far into your post, I just had to stop reading there.
Heretik32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 03:36 AM   #8
embersyc
Lurker

embersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputation

Its good that nobody will pay for music anymore. Musicians should make money by performing, really its the only way they ever did anyways. Most artists became slaves to record contracts and if their album didn't sell a ridiculous amount they ended up oweing the record company money in the end.

Then the record companies had the audicity to just begin completely manufacturing people. Take any attractive person, write them some lyrics, get a producer to make them some beats, get a director and spend a million bucks on a video. It doesn't even matter if they can sing or not because you're going to run their voice through a thousand filters in the studio anyways.

I've bought my fair share of music, I probably have about 1000 CDs, but I'll never buy another one. If I like someone I'll go and see their show if they come to my town, and I go and see lots of local DJs and MCs, but that is about the only way I spend money on music anymore.
embersyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 03:48 AM   #9
LakerRaider
Great college starter

Quote:
Great I love those show they are very good. But the best of the 2 is Law and Order SVU. Which Law and Order do you like? Is it SVU, Criminal Intent, or the Original one. I love SVU that is the most creative show. It has so many twists and turn you never know whats gonna happen. Its an amazing show.

I like SVU better than Criminal Intent mainly because of Ice T and the actor who plays Kenny Stabler.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:01 PM   #10
pgm
I hit open layups

pgm has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
It was all fun at first because "Who Wants To Marry A Millionaire" was a big deal because there wasn't anything like it at the time and everybody wanted to see what the chosen girl would do once she would find out he was actually a construction worker instead of a millionaire.

That was "Average Joe".

Quote:
Even artists like Marilyn Manson, KoRn, System of a Down, Papa Roach, Fuel, Blink 182, and so many more rock artists, who I don't really listen to, but I respect because they were high on the charts at one point aren't really on the charts anymore.

System of Down's last two albums hit #1. Blink 182 broke up. Papa Roach, Fuel, Korn, and Marilyn Manson weren't all that good to begin with (although they had their moments).
pgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 05:52 PM   #11
Cool
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
I like SVU better than Criminal Intent mainly because of Ice T and the actor who plays Kenny Stabler.

His name is Elliot Stabler. And yea him and Ice-T are great. Especially when elliot goes crazy and started beating the crap out of the criminals.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:37 PM   #12
LakerRaider
Great college starter

Quote:
His name is Elliot Stabler. And yea him and Ice-T are great. Especially when elliot goes crazy and started beating the crap out of the criminals.

Yeah, that's right, Elliot Stabler. Thanks for correcting me. I really appreciate that.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:41 PM   #13
theinfamousmobb
Local High School Star

theinfamousmobb has an OK reputation so far

I miss the golden era of hip-hop aka the 90's.
theinfamousmobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 12:48 AM   #14
sunsfan1357
Word.

sunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation here

Studio 60 doesn't get good ratings at all. The network is staying with it though so I guess that's good for you guys.
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 01:14 AM   #15
Maximum310
High School JV MVP

Maximum310 has an OK reputation so far

I miss LOST,
and what is it with all these shows splitting their seasons in half?
Maximum310 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: