Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 01-23-2011, 10:45 AM   #1
barkleynash
Local High School Star

barkleynash has decent reputation
Default Old 16 team playoff format

With the league a little more balanced west and east I ranked the teams according to their win/loss percentage.

This is what the old tourney would have looked like. Thoughts on who would win those match-ups and who would emerge out of each side of the draw.

#1 Spurs 37-7 vs #16 Suns 20-22 Spurs in five
#8 OK City 28-15 vs New Orleans 29-16 New Orleans in 7
#4 Miami 31-13 vs #13 portland 25-20 Miami in 5
#5 Chicago 30-14 vs #12 Denver 24-18 Chicago in 5

Bottom half of the draw

#2 Boston 33-10- vs #15 Memphis 21-23 Boston in 5
#7 Dallas 28-15 vs #10 Atlanta 29-16 Dallas in 6
#3 LA Lakers 32-13 vs #14 Knicks 22-21 LA in 5
#6 Orlanda 29-15 vs #11 Utah 27-17 Orlando in 7

I think this format would make the regular season way more interesting, would eliminate teams not trading within their conference, but would be tougher for travel, those series that are really long in distance could be played 2-3-2 those close could be 2-2-1-1-1. Not sure what would happen with Rivalries, but it would be very interesting.
For the last many years, the west has been the stronger overall conference, and now they would be better represented with 10 of the 16 teams being from the western conference. Thoughts? Discussion?
barkleynash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:57 AM   #2
Orlando Magic
National High School Star

Orlando Magic is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterOrlando Magic is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterOrlando Magic is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterOrlando Magic is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterOrlando Magic is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterOrlando Magic is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterOrlando Magic is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterOrlando Magic is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterOrlando Magic is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterOrlando Magic is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Old 16 team playoff format

I agree. It makes too much sense for it to happen.
Orlando Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:08 AM   #3
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

why would they do that? what do you mean old tourney?
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:27 AM   #4
barkleynash
Local High School Star

I believe back in the late 70's they used a format like that, I may be wrong, but I remember seeing teams from what are now differnent conferences playing each other in the cross-over playoff series', I'll go back into the archives to see if this was true. I still kind of like the idea of this new format, it would breathe life back into the league and the new rivalries could be developed.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:29 AM   #5
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkleynash
I believe back in the late 70's they used a format like that, I may be wrong, but I remember seeing teams from what are now differnent conferences playing each other in the cross-over playoff series', I'll go back into the archives to see if this was true. I still kind of like the idea of this new format, it would breathe life back into the league and the new rivalries could be developed.
no they didn't... the reason you see teams from eastern cities playing teams in the west was because those teams were actually in/part of the western conference back then.. there wasn't enough teams in the west so back in the 60's and 70's you had teams like the hawks bulls bucks bullets in the western conference
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:32 AM   #6
Mr Clutch Melo
NUGGETS ALL THE WAY

Mr Clutch Melo is popular on this boardMr Clutch Melo is popular on this boardMr Clutch Melo is popular on this boardMr Clutch Melo is popular on this boardMr Clutch Melo is popular on this board

Denver would beat the Bulls in a 7-game series.
Mr Clutch Melo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:09 PM   #7
Clutch
Stop flopping

Clutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Clutch Melo
Denver would beat the Bulls in a 7-game series.
I don't think so.
Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:49 PM   #8
barkleynash
Local High School Star

Thanks for correcting me, I wondered if that was what it was.
And no, I don't think the Nuggets would beat the bulls either, maybe if they were'n't in such a circus right now they could, but the bulls chemistry right now is much better.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:02 PM   #9
Cermet
Local High School Star

Cermet has no real reputation yet.

Much better format. Atleast then teams like Suns or I dont know Houston would make it to the playoffs because they are bad but not worse then the 2 or 3 teams in the east that makes the playoffs.
Cermet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:10 PM   #10
bluechox2
#knickstape

bluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

id like some teams to change divisions.
maybe move new orleans for the time being that they still exist to the east or dallas to the east.

i remember this being considered a while back, but no one moved on it.
bluechox2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:22 PM   #11
UtahJazzFan88
Jazz Fan

UtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechox2
id like some teams to change divisions.
maybe move new orleans for the time being that they still exist to the east or dallas to the east.

i remember this being considered a while back, but no one moved on it.

Maybe switch conferences between Memphis and Milwaukee, other then that it's fine as is.
UtahJazzFan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:41 PM   #12
joe
College superstar

joe has a terrific reputationjoe has a terrific reputationjoe has a terrific reputationjoe has a terrific reputationjoe has a terrific reputationjoe has a terrific reputation

I like this a lot better than the way it is, always have. The divisions and conference don't mater as much in basketball because there's so few games played against division rivals..

For instance in football, I supported Seattle making the playoffs even if they sucked, because divisions winners SHOULD make the playoffs in the NFL. The teams play eachother 2 times each, that's more than 1/3rd of your schedule..

Imagine if in the NBA, division rivals played eachother 10 times a season. And only played the other conference 10-15 times. THEN, the current system would make more sense.
joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:38 PM   #13
jbryan1984
Good college starter

jbryan1984 is considered somewhat cooljbryan1984 is considered somewhat cool

I have thought of that many times to. Just because there are so many teams out west that have better records then the 8 and 7 seed in the east but don't make the playoffs. Its not fair but I doubt it will ever change.
jbryan1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:53 PM   #14
'Toine=MVP
High School Varsity 12th Man

'Toine=MVP has no real reputation yet.

The main problem with this is the West Coast/East Coast traveling. That is the reason we have the terrible 2-3-2 finals format. It is too much traveling to go after game 2, 4, 5, 6, and 7.
'Toine=MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: