Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 01-27-2011, 04:38 AM   #1
brwnman

brwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputation
Default Bold Prediction... somewhat bold I guess

It's 4:38am. Yes I'm about to fall asleep, but before I do,

I say Calderon isn't on the team past the trade deadline. I see him gone. With Barbosa possibly coming back, and Bayless on board (doing well as a starter even though it's just a small sample), I see Calderon being used as trade bait. I think Colangelo is waiting on someone to offer up a expirer and I think he'll take it.

It seems a little unlikely with all the injuries and everything, but Calderon almost got traded once before the season, and I think he actually gets traded near the trade deadline...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:13 AM   #2
hayden695
NBA lottery pick

hayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Bold Prediction... somewhat bold I guess

Bold Prediction

I instantly jizz in my pants if this happens.
hayden695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:52 AM   #3
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

RaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayden695
Bold Prediction

I instantly jizz in my pants if this happens.

I hope he does. For his sake and ours.
RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:16 AM   #4
Bcogswell
Raptors > You.

Bcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaininThrees

Rebuilding wise.. I want to see Calderon traded. For tanking wise, I'd rather see Barbosa get traded first.
Bcogswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:59 AM   #5
bluerap
Local High School Star

bluerap has decent reputation

I think both will be traded. Both have value now. Jose has been pretty solid this year. Numbers are on par with his best seasons.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:17 AM   #6
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

Both of them have no business being on this team.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:51 AM   #7
SESSEL15
High School Starter

SESSEL15 has an OK reputation so far

I don't recall who said this in another topic, but they were right on point: Injuries have pretty much forced us to rebuild now.

As of today the 8th place team in the east is Charlotte at 19-25. The Raps are currently 13-33.

All of these players have missed time due to injury: Evans, Calerdon, Bargnani, Kleiza, Weems , Barbosa.

If we had an injury free season, I'm sure the Raptors could have won a couple more wins and been around the 17-19 win mark and been in the playoff picture going into the all-star break (the East is horrible after the top 4-5)

I'm actually thankful for the injuries and think they are a blessing in disguise. They have forced B.C's hand. Now the question is will he be resilient and go for the quick fix or trade away the vets to continue this process. In my eyes Calderon and Barbosa have to go , agreeing with the above statements.

Who wants to riot infront of the ACC with me?
SESSEL15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:42 AM   #8
FCardelle
High School JV MVP

FCardelle has an OK reputation so far

Raptors games would be too ugly if Calderon is traded. There would be a total lack of playmaking ability.
If you want some young players to develop, you need someone to organize the game and give the ball to those players. Bayless is not that guy.
FCardelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:49 AM   #9
DJMason
High School JV MVP

DJMason is considered somewhat coolDJMason is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCardelle
Raptors games would be too ugly if Calderon is traded. There would be a total lack of playmaking ability.
If you want some young players to develop, you need someone to organize the game and give the ball to those players. Bayless is not that guy.

So we keep the albatross of his contract because of aesthetics? I'm sorry but I'll take developing our young pg as much as possible over concern about ugliness of the games (newsflash, they're already unbearable to watch).

If you can trade Calderon you do it. Period.
DJMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:50 AM   #10
bada bing
College star

bada bing is a pretty well-respected posterbada bing is a pretty well-respected posterbada bing is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCardelle

y does this post not surprise me?
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:44 PM   #11
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

FC does kind of have a point, though. You want the young players to be able to get used to having a playmaking PG, because in a winning system, ideally that would be the kind of point guard you have. Calderon isn't elite by any stretch of the imagination, but he is good at getting people the ball in the right places.

The downside to this is his contract, and the fact it hurts our draft stock. Also, it takes away from Bayless' minutes, and he's been looking good when he gets extended playing time.

There are definitely advantages to DeRozan's development when playing with Calderon rather than Bayless (such as, not having to go one-on-one as much, playing with a playmaking point guard), but it cuts into Bayless' development.

Ideally, for me, Calderon stays til the deadline, move him for picks/space/young depth, and have Bayless start for the rest of the tank and try to develop his playmaking abilities.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:44 AM   #12
hayden695
NBA lottery pick

hayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaininThrees

Hoped someone would post that

Anyways, the fact on making the game uglier is kinda dumb. It would help Bayless, help our salary situation, and by calderon leaving instantly improve our defense. Sure it might hinder the other guys since they wouldn't have as good of a playmaker, but I would rather see them get that out of the way quick as possible and see if Bayless can develop into that type of role. Rather than waste this year with Jose, then next have just Bayless and waste half a year there seeing if he can become a decent PG.

This is all just assuming Jose is gone by next season rather than the deadline.
hayden695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:32 AM   #13
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMason
So we keep the albatross of his contract because of aesthetics? I'm sorry but I'll take developing our young pg as much as possible over concern about ugliness of the games (newsflash, they're already unbearable to watch).

If you can trade Calderon you do it. Period.
You summarized what I was thinking so perfectly! If there's any reason to keep him, it shouldn't be because he makes our losses look prettier. With Calderon we're a 13 win team who has lost 10 in a row, without Calderon we might've been a 9-10 win team which would actually have been better for draft purposes. If we suck this bad, we don't need big contracts for guys who make us only slightly better.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: