Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 01-27-2011, 03:43 PM   #1
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

carpevicis has an OK reputation so far
Default Rowing crew to compliment basketball

I've been working over the last couple months to get my body in top athletic shape and I've come a long way, I'm much stronger, faster and quicker than I was at the beginning of the year. However, the one aspect that still slows me down is my endurance - as soon as I go hard and run the break constantly I get tired and my defense suffers, as does my jump shot.

I'm interested in rowing crew, I wanted to last summer but never got the opportunity, so now that spring is approaching I'm thinking about giving it a shot. Maybe just once a week, for a couple hours, as I'll be spending time in the weight room, the court and running.

The only concern I have is will it negatively affect my strength? Crew is an endurance sport (although it does have strong anaerobic requirements), and I'm afraid that if I do too much of it my speed and jumping ability will slow down. If I only do it once or twice a week, is that alright? What are other ways I can do to improve my endurance without sacrificing explosiveness? I'm looking for other sports so I can have a mix between basketball and something else.
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:13 AM   #2
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Rowing crew to compliment basketball

Rowing has seemed to offer nothing but benefits for me. I'm just a kayaker though, and I don't know how much that differs from the tradtional crew. Even with kayaks, the process seems to very much aid my upper body strength which in turn only helps my endurance and ability on the basketball court. I try not to worry too much about what specific exercises are good or bad. I just go.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: