Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 01-28-2011, 01:10 PM   #16
8BeastlyXOIAD
3-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Kobe clutch myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM
Didn't know he was from Toronto as well.
Also I happen to be Muslim too.

Tdot
8BeastlyXOIAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:21 PM   #17
crisoner
10 plus years on ISH

I am to lazy to read all of glides post and will keep my retort short and sweet....

Boo!
crisoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:25 PM   #18
yobore
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by catch24
And despite ALL the stats in the world, I'd still go with Kobe to take the last second shot - heck finish the last 5 minutes of a game.

His ability to create his own shot and put defenses on their heels is second to none in today's game.
emotionally that might feel right but that wouldn't be the rational thing to do.

http://www.nba.com/2011/news/feature...s=iref:nbahpt1
yobore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:30 PM   #19
rwfletch22
I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

at this guy thinking Kobe not da clutchest!
rwfletch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:32 PM   #20
tpols
we already won

Quote:
Originally Posted by yobore
emotionally that might feel right but that wouldn't be the rational thing to do.

Do you guys watch the game of basketball? How are you going to use numbers about so-and-so many seconds and so-and-so many points behind/points ahead to determine what is essentially an attitude(being clutch is an attitude, a mentality). These figures can be so easily maniplated by changing the parameters for what is and what isn't a clutch situation.

What ever the case, what you have posted DOES NOT pass the eye ball test of all the people who are at the games sitting courtside and who know the game of basketball better than anyone..

Chris paul is a quick point guard with a decent jumpshot and great passing ability, but he stands at 6'0 tall.

Kobe bryant is a 6'5-6'6 shooting guard with a much better offensive arsenal of moves to get a shot off(he is a much better scorer than paul). That and kobe has better lift and will have an easier time getting a better jumpshot off(plus he's very, very used to shooting contested jumpers; he does it all the time when he shoots out of the post).

Kobe will be the game winners leader in NBA HISTORY by the time he retires...

But seriously.. have numbers and stats with made up parameters replaced common sense and watching the games?

Last edited by tpols : 01-28-2011 at 01:34 PM.
tpols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:37 PM   #21
catch24
phal5

Quote:
Originally Posted by yobore

It has nothing to do with 'emotion'. Read my post properly. To add onto that, he's willing to take ANY shot opposing defenses give him. Last season he made like what... 60/70% of his game winners (during the regular season)? Like I said, give me Kobe because of his willingness and skillset to get a shot off no matter what.
catch24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:37 PM   #22
KenneBell
What set you claim?

Quote:
And despite ALL the stats in the world, I'd still go with Kobe to take the last second shot - heck finish the last 5 minutes of a game.

His ability to create his own shot and put defenses on their heels is second to none in today's game.
One day these stats guys will realize that basketball isn't baseball and that there are things that can't be covered by statistics, advanced or otherwise. Until that day, we'll get articles like this.

Meanwhile the Lakers continue to leave statisticians dumbfounded because they win without necessarily having the best stats.
KenneBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:40 PM   #23
yobore
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpols
Do you guys watch the game of basketball? How are you going to use numbers about so-and-so many seconds and so-and-so many points behind/points ahead to determine what is essentially an attitude(being clutch is an attitude, a mentality). These figures can be so easily maniplated by changing the parameters for what is and what isn't a clutch situation.

What ever the case, what you have posted DOES NOT pass the eye ball test of all the people who are at the games sitting courtside and who know the game of basketball better than anyone..

Chris paul is a quick point guard with a decent jumpshot and great passing ability, but he stands at 6'0 tall.

Kobe bryant is a 6'5-6'6 shooting guard with a much better offensive arsenal of moves to get a shot off(he is a much better scorer than paul). That and kobe has better lift and will have an easier time getting a better jumpshot off(plus he's very, very used to shooting contested jumpers; he does it all the time when he shoots out of the post).

Kobe will be the game winners leader in NBA HISTORY by the time he retires...

But seriously.. have numbers and stats with made up parameters replaced common sense and watching the games?
THe whole point of the CP article is the Hornets win the vast majority of the time when he's making the decisions. Keep in mind I'm considering "clutch" to be doing the right things at the end of the game to WIN GAMES. I am not talking about who is better at getting a shot up with defenders draped all over them. It is undeniable that Kobe is the best in the league at taking and making impossible shots. But, looking strictly at the facts, CP picks his spots and makes decisions down the stretch that have his team in it's own category when it comes to close games
Old 01-28-2011, 01:43 PM   #24
blablabla

blablabla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:43 PM   #25
PurpleChuck
Banned

Rudy Gay.
PurpleChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:45 PM   #26
8BeastlyXOIAD
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleChuck
Beasley.
I feel the same way
8BeastlyXOIAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:45 PM   #27
catch24
phal5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenneBell
One day these stats guys will realize that basketball isn't baseball and that there are things that can't be covered by statistics, advanced or otherwise. Until that day, we'll get articles like this.

Meanwhile the Lakers continue to leave statisticians dumbfounded because they win without necessarily having the best stats.

"Kobe shoots his teams out of W's", "LA will never win with Kobe shooting that much", "According to 82games Kobe is overrated in the clutch" (despite making almost ALL his GW's last season lol).

The excuses will never end. Most of the guys that say this have never played basketball at a high level. Anyone who's watched Kobe since 2003 will tell you he's been the most feared player when the game is on the line.
catch24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:46 PM   #28
yobore
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blablabla
nice deflection, no doubt he's good. he's just not as good in this particular area as people think emotionally.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:46 PM   #29
PurpleChuck
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8BeastlyXOIAD
I feel the same way
Touché, I can roll with that too.
PurpleChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:47 PM   #30
tpols
we already won

Quote:
"Kobe shoots his teams out of W's", "LA will never win with Kobe shooting that much" "According to 82games Kobe is overrated in the clutch" (despite making almost ALL his GW's last season lol).

The excuses will never end. Most of the guys that say this have never played basketball at a high level. Anyone who's watched Kobe since 2003 will tell you he's been the most feared player when the game is on the line.
No, but kobe shoots 29% from 14.5 feet and out when his team is behind by .5 points or less and there are less than 22.1 seconds on the clock. Terrible chucking choker..
tpols is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: