Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 01-29-2011, 08:26 AM   #1
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

RaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Raptors' Colangelo faces the music

From M. Grange

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1887438/

Quote:
Like any intense relationship, the one shared by the Toronto Raptors and their president, architect and most recognizable face, Bryan Colangelo, has had its share of ups and downs.

The lottery-bound club’s nine-game losing streak heading into another dreary home date at the Air Canada Centre Friday night is only the latest blemish on a wedding photo that was once air-brushed to perfection.
More related to this story

When Colangelo swept into Toronto in 2006 as a triumph of some determined backroom wooing on the behalf of Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment chairman Larry Tanenbaum, it was a full corporate crush: private jets; expensive dinners at an all-star weekend in Houston and intimate conversations over wine at discreet Italian spots in Toronto.

Colangelo was an NBA trophy wife: well-coiffed and dripping with pedigree, awash in the Phoenix sun. And for a while, as the Raptors became relevant off the floor and winners on it, all were smitten with each other.

Could he walk on water? Hey, have him take a hard right on Bay Street, head for Lake Ontario and find out; no one would have bet against it.

But relationships run their course. Googly eyes give way to dollar signs; all those good times turn into what do you mean we missed the playoffs again?

And so the Raptors and Colangelo are entering into a more pragmatic stage in their relationship, with the two-time executive of the year’s five-year, $20-million (all currency U.S.) contract set to expire and the Raptors headed for the draft lottery for the third straight season.

They know each other well now. They know each others’ faults and they’ve stayed up nights worrying about the long-term contracts they’re each parents to. And now they find themselves asking: Can I do any better? Is this the way it’s always going to be?

Insiders expect the situation to come to a head in mid-February at the next scheduled meeting of the MLSE board.

There are rumours that Colangelo, well-ensconced in Toronto and determined to reboot a club that has floundered under his watch, is seeking a five-year deal and no less than what he’s paid now; terms that some in the ownership group might find steep given the pay-for-performance ethos that permeates the executive suite of the majority owner, the Ontario Teachers Pension Plan.

For his part, Colangelo says he’s made no contract demands and his focus is on taking advantage of the Raptors’ ever-improving draft position by scouting amateur talent more than he has for years.

He’s committed to the relationship

“I haven’t talked to anyone about my contract,” he said Friday. “Anyone who says I have is talking BS. I’m not looking for the door right now; I love being here. My focus is on moving forward.”

He may get his chance, if not his price. Those reading the tea leaves inside the MLSE board room describe a scene where practicality has replaced passion.

“They know he’s not the Messiah they thought he was five years ago,” said one source. “But they’re also realizing no one is. If there was a Messiah, they’d hire him.”

And so it’s come to this: MLSE and Colangelo will likely realize that, for now, they’re stuck with each other.

They’re looking over what got them here in the first place and realizing that they could have done worse: Colangelo remains a hard-working, resourceful and risk-taking executive – “he keeps swinging for the fences, he’s just missed” – and MLSE and the Raptors and Toronto retain their better-than-most status among NBA owners.

In Colangelo’s favour, also, is that though he’s prone to some inexplicable accessorizing with the corporate Amex – $50-million for a classic Hedo Turkoglu or $30-million for the latest Jason Kapono – he’s kept his receipts and done well to get out from under his mistakes.

But if it’s not him who resurrects the franchise’s fortunes, then who? Who will be better and how long to find out that he’s not? And then what?

And with that realization the deal will be done; the terms as yet to be determined. There will be no fancy dinners or expensive wines this time, however.

Just the cheque please.
RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:24 AM   #2
bballnoob
Decent college freshman

bballnoob is considered somewhat coolbballnoob is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Raptors' Colangelo faces the music

In his defense, I do like how he hasn't made those stop gap moves that many of the forum feared he would (with the TPE and expirers). It's obviously up to debate whether he's the guy to build up again but at the very least, he hasn't crippled the franchise for a possible replacement (in order to save his own job in the short term).
bballnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:32 AM   #3
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballnoob
In his defense, I do like how he hasn't made those stop gap moves that many of the forum feared he would (with the TPE and expirers). It's obviously up to debate whether he's the guy to build up again but at the very least, he hasn't crippled the franchise for a possible replacement (in order to save his own job in the short term).

He tried to, failed, and then stopped, which was good.

I agree with the article though, I definitely don't hold him in high regard anymore, but he has (kind of) a fresh start coming this summer, so I'll at least keep an open mind.

And by fresh start, I mean lots of cap space, a high draft pick, etc. Kind of like when he came here at first, minus an All-Star.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:22 PM   #4
b4ball
Local High School Star

b4ball has an OK reputation so far

I give Colangelo credit for bailing himself out of a storm. He has managed to find cap space several times now. Nobody thought Kapono would get us anything in return, nobody thought Turkoglu would be wanted else where. And he almost found a taker for Calderon. So the question is does he deserve another shot at rebuilding the Raptors? I say unless and until their are other candidates to consider he should be given another opportunity. But not another 5 year opportunity.
b4ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:52 PM   #5
keantona
I hit open 5-footers

keantona has decent reputation

He has totally failed this franchise after coming into a very promising situation. He has to go.
keantona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:59 PM   #6
bada bing
College star

bada bing is a pretty well-respected posterbada bing is a pretty well-respected posterbada bing is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4ball
I give Colangelo credit for bailing himself out of a storm. He has managed to find cap space several times now. Nobody thought Kapono would get us anything in return, nobody thought Turkoglu would be wanted else where. And he almost found a taker for Calderon. So the question is does he deserve another shot at rebuilding the Raptors? I say unless and until their are other candidates to consider he should be given another opportunity. But not another 5 year opportunity.

i wish the average person was given credit for bailing themselves out of a storm. Once u land into a storm multiple times, you better start working on that CV again. Yet BC is hailed and given credit for landing into messes.

I am very skeptical of giving BC another shot. He might be a great executive to the ownership group but as a fan i strongly believe his approach to building a contender is flawed. His entire perception is wrong and will never develop a star. You can't just change the team every freaking year and accept a winner to be made. Teams that are in contention have developed their teams over multiple seasons. (with the obvious exception being the heat and celtics. The celtics had enough of young talent and picks to trade in order to get superstars in exchange..)

i dont know if i am ready to see BC mess up a very good situation again. We have the possibility of getting a top 5 draft pick and have enough cap space. I do not want to see it wasted.
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 01:06 PM   #7
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bada bing
i dont know if i am ready to see BC mess up a very good situation again. We have the possibility of getting a top 5 draft pick and have enough cap space. I do not want to see it wasted.

Very well said. It's more or less the same situation he was in when he got here. He messed it up then, continued to mess up, and now it seems the cycle is restarting just 4-5 years later. Hard to believe it was that long ago.

I've bashed Colangelo enough, and I've decided to lay off him a bit. Not that I've changed my opinion, I just know theres nothing I can do about it, so if he's here, I'll hope for the best, and if he's not, I hope his replacement is capable.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:12 PM   #8
bada bing
College star

bada bing is a pretty well-respected posterbada bing is a pretty well-respected posterbada bing is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberlain
Very well said. It's more or less the same situation he was in when he got here. He messed it up then, continued to mess up, and now it seems the cycle is restarting just 4-5 years later. Hard to believe it was that long ago.

I've bashed Colangelo enough, and I've decided to lay off him a bit. Not that I've changed my opinion, I just know theres nothing I can do about it, so if he's here, I'll hope for the best, and if he's not, I hope his replacement is capable.

yep. My displeasure with bargnani and BC is at the highest level right now then it has ever been. Saying that i do not want to continuously say the same thing over and over when nothing MLSE does is in our control. I was in Miami for a few months and enjoyed great basketball then. Right now I am in Chicago for at least until December and I been enjoying great Bulls basketball. I am not missing out on a lot when i look at the raptors record. Either way, they have never been about winning. They have always been about making money. I know for a long time I will never get to see this team be a contender in anything. As a fan of the raptors we need to deal with this reality and hope we find a gem among the turds we will continue to accumulate.
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:15 PM   #9
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Good points the last 2 posts. Too add to that, it's basically the same scenario where the main piece (at least according to Colangelo) is a scoring PF, albeit one that is not even close to as good as the one Colangelo had last time.

Quote:
“he keeps swinging for the fences, he’s just missed”
I like how lots of sources use that as justification. Isn't his job to not "miss"? Shouldn't he be identifying moves, big or small, where he won't fail?

I think I'm with bada bing. I don't have any faith in Colangelo's team building philosophy. Some of his core ideas of what constitutes a winning team have been beyond flawed. He's already failed miserably once with a "clean slate" and pretty much a better starting situation than what is coming up. I do think he will stay on with the Raptors because he's not only the GM but also the President. I'm sure he does a fine job as President but I somehow don't think he'd be willing to give up just his GM spot.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 03:41 PM   #10
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4ball

The storms you mention are those created by Colangelo! The pro colangelo guys always say stuff like this, totally ignoring the fact that he made the messes he's 'fixed' (to the tune of a currently horrendous team I might ad).
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:19 PM   #11
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapsFan
The storms you mention are those created by Colangelo! The pro colangelo guys always say stuff like this, totally ignoring the fact that he made the messes he's 'fixed' (to the tune of a currently horrendous team I might ad).
That's the part that bothers me the most. If I take a shit in the kitchen and then I clean it off the floor should I be praised for that? Sure i'll give him some credit for being a pretty proactive GM but as others have said some of his core concepts on how to build a championship level team are flawed. I for one would be very nervous and skeptical about him being in a brand new situation where he has another shot at f*cking our team up, picking the wrong guy in the draft, and using our cap resources incorrectly. I believe it's a new year and it should be a fresh start for this organization. New management, new coach, new everything. Our record and our talent level speaks for itself.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:50 PM   #12
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

You have the best analogies bokes
Old 01-30-2011, 01:29 PM   #13
b4ball
Local High School Star

b4ball has an OK reputation so far

Lot's of responses to my post, thank you, but I haven't heard one sugestion as to who might realistically replace Colangelo. And I know many of you won't believe this but there are worst GM's then Colangelo. If you think BC set us back just remember Babcock. It was Embry that made the moves to give Colangelo the opportunity he got.

As I said, until and unless another candidate becomes available, one that has a record of success at some level then we can have a converstation over his, or her merrits over the guy we have.

I was never a proponent of Colangelo when we first heard he might be coming here. I always felt his success was actually his fathers. But I'm not willing to make a move for the sake of making a move.

And I'm not blind to what Colangelo has done here, and I don't appreciate any references like that. I think I'm being objective enough to know that there are many other potential GM's that would love the opportunity to take over this team that would make a worse mess then what we have right now. And I know that we are sitting 13 - 35, second or third at the bottom of the league standings.
b4ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:14 PM   #14
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

A worse mess? I want to ask you honestly, how much further down can we go from where we are now? To challenge for the worst record of all time? Because we've already put our name in the hat for worst team in the league and have had some of the worst defense in NBA history over the past 2 seasons. I quite honestly would rather have a new guy with new ideas be given the chance to fix this mess than to give 5 more years to the guy who created this mess in the first place.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:18 PM   #15
bluerap
Local High School Star

bluerap has decent reputation

I remember when BC was hired there was a feeling that Toronto sports should look for established big name execs for the gm spots. When it looked like it was working out everyone was calling for the leafs to dump JFJ for Brian B. Now that looks like a total failure. Even when JP was canned I was hoping we'd go after an experienced GM with a winning track record. I remember when AA was hired (though it was on an interim basis in the beginning) I was pretty shocked that we didn't go after someone else. In fact I think Beeston knew he wanted AA to be the GM but he put the interim label to see how the media and fan base would react.

So where do the raptors go from here? Personally, I'd like to see them go in a similar direction as the Jays. Get an established exec to be the new president and find a young guy with a scouting background that wants to build this team the right way (slow and steady). To me the obvious places to look are organizations with a real track record for winning. Find a nice young exec from San Antonio or Utah and see what he can do. If it doesn't work out you can always change directions because you won't be committed to a 30 million dollar contract.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: